[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

buying a used car

montster

i know there've been a bunch of threads recently on buying cars, but haven't come across this scenario. we're looking to get a second car, spending a max of $15k. for the past six years, we've had only one car, which we bought from my parents. the last car we bought was 10 years ago, right after i got out of college, when i had my dad helping me. what i'd like to get thoughts on is what to look for in buying used from a dealer vs. from private sellers. we've arranged for financing through a credit union, so that part's covered. i know we can avoid paying taxes by going through private sellers, and that it'd probably be less hassle, but that you'll likely know less about the car going through private. anyone have thoughts? how helpful is a service like carfax? thanks for the help.

do you have a good mechanic? regardless of dealer vs ind seller, taking it in to someone you trust is crutial. if anything was hidden from carfax, they'll likely find it.

we just moved to san diego from brooklyn (hence the need for the second car), so no, we don't know any mechanics. so, anyone in san diego have a good mechanic? :D

we just moved to san diego from brooklyn (hence the need for the second car), so no, we don't know any mechanics. so, anyone in san diego have a good mechanic? :D

chargerz might have a guy for you ?????? if you were up in sf i'd have a referral for you.

and if you haven't been yet:

roberto's

nicos

casa de pico

old town mexican cafe

chargerz might have a guy for you ?????? if you were up in sf i'd have a referral for you.

roberto's

nicos

casa de pico

old town mexican cafe

we've only been to one really good restaurant so far (mainly because we've been unpacking, we were out of town for five days and we have a picky 2 year old): ono sushi, which was excellent. but we'll keep those other places in mind. :D

i know there've been a bunch of threads recently on buying cars, but haven't come across this scenario. we're looking to get a second car, spending a max of $15k. for the past six years, we've had only one car, which we bought from my parents. the last car we bought was 10 years ago, right after i got out of college, when i had my dad helping me. what i'd like to get thoughts on is what to look for in buying used from a dealer vs. from private sellers. we've arranged for financing through a credit union, so that part's covered. i know we can avoid paying taxes by going through private sellers, and that it'd probably be less hassle, but that you'll likely know less about the car going through private. anyone have thoughts? how helpful is a service like carfax? thanks for the help.

as far as I know when you go to title it they will ask how much you paid for the car and you will have to pay the tax on that amount and if the amount you paid is under market value I believe they will tax you at the market value

If you don't have a bill of sale from the seller, and try to license the car they will ask where you got it. If you don't have a bill of sale, they will assume you stole it. Just something to think about before trying to get out of paying taxes.

roberto's

nicos

casa de pico

old town mexican cafe

Add: Croce's.....

as far as I know when you go to title it they will ask how much you paid for the car and you will have to pay the tax on that amount and if the amount you paid is under market value I believe they will tax you at the market value

Same in Illinois.

A dealer will give some kind of warranty, private party not. If you find 2 similar cars from a private party and dealer, compare the price, and everything else. If the private is a lot cheaper, put the diff. in the bank as use the $$$ like a warranty. If the price is real close, buy from the dealer. Regardless, have both checked by a good mechanic. I've been going to a Goodyear dealer for over 20 years and the guy(s) are as honest as the day is long, and they do great work. If they are typical, it could be your best blind choice. JMHO

Sorry off subject, but.......what are credit unions and why do people use them?

a lot of credit unions have some criteria for membership, so only select groups are eligible to join (i once got a loan through motorola's credit union because my dad worked at motorola). we found one in san diego where all you had to do was prove you live or work in san diego county. the rate was lower than we found elsewhere, which is why we picked it.

as for the tax issue -- after more googling, i found that, yes, it looks like we'll pay taxes when we go to register it. i misunderstood that part. thanks for everyone'e help.

i know we can avoid paying taxes by going through private sellers,

You pay the taxes when you get your tag, when you go to a dealer, they collect those fees for them.

That may be differenet in some states however... but still illegal.

Agree with having a good mechanic on call to go over the car. Usually they can spot anything glaring for $50-$100 tops (more for a detailed inspection). As for private versus dealer, I've purchased both ways. Personally, I prefer private sellers because there is more negotiation room, usually more flexible hours to see the car, and you have a better chance of viewing maintenance receipts. It's perfectly acceptable to make a sale contigent on your personal mechanic's inspection. If the seller balks, you walk.

Dealers are nice because you might get a warranty and they take care of the registration/tax hassles for you (for a fee, of course). It all depends on which is more importatnt to you.

Do some used car homework in consumer reports to see what you can likely expect to get for your price range, as well as recommended models. Good luck.