[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Where does McGahee rank now that he is a Raven?

9ersdude

Combined Mia/NE/NYJ allowed 109 ypg to opposing RBs.

Combined Pit/Cle/Cin allowed 116 ypg to opposing RBs.

I don't think 7 ypg is that much of a difference.

Perhaps you were talking about something other than rushing ypg however...

Cle and Cin are at the bottom of the NFL in total D. Miami and NE are at the top. NYJ is in the middle, and the Steelers are a bit of an unknown considering the changes.

I am talking about at least 2 of those defenses being vastly inferior, and one being suspect at this point.

Cle and Cin are at the bottom of the NFL in total D. Miami and NE are at the top. NYJ is in the middle, and the Steelers are a bit of an unknown considering the changes.

I am talking about at least 2 of those defenses being vastly inferior, and one being suspect at this point.

Well to me, passing D does not really factor into discussing a RB. So discussing total defense does not affect the RB as much as rushing defense.

We have the rushing D ypg, and they are pretty close when you compare divisions.

Just for comparison, here is how each division averaged in terms of rushing ypg allowed:

NFC North 100.2

AFC North 105.7

NFC South 115.2

AFC East 116.6

AFC West 117.2

NFC East 123.0

NFC West 128.0

AFC South 132.8

Obviously as we saw, when we take out the Ravens from the AFC North, the avg drops to 116 ypg. However, I think the point is:

The AFC East is not superior in terms of great rushing defense to the AFC North, even if you have Cle and Cin...

I have no idea what any D will put up next season - I am just looking at last season's numbers. So assuming Pitt will have higher rushing ypg allowed is fine if you really think so, but then you would have to look at every single team in both divisions.

I think he should perform better than Jamal Lewis. But it won't be because of their O-Line, and it won't be because the AFC North rushing defenses are swiss cheese compared to the AFC East.

Edited by Steeltown Dre

Well to me, passing D does not really factor into discussing a RB. So discussing total defense does not affect the RB as much as rushing defense.

Lots of things affect rushing D. The score of the game. How good/bad your pass D is. What personnel you have available. Etc. And I can say without reservation that Cin and Cle will not be good defenses next year. I have no comment on Pittsburgh, except that with a new coach, losing their best LB, and having been a top unit, it is likely that they will not be as good.

We have the rushing D ypg, and they are pretty close when you compare divisions.

Just for comparison, here is how each division averaged in terms of rushing ypg allowed:

NFC North 100.2

AFC North 105.7

NFC South 115.2

AFC East 116.6

AFC West 117.2

NFC East 123.0

NFC West 128.0

AFC South 132.8

Obviously as we saw, when we take out the Ravens from the AFC North, the avg drops to 116 ypg. However, I think the point is:

The AFC East is not superior in terms of great rushing defense to the AFC North, even if you have Cle and Cin...

I have no idea what any D will put up next season - I am just looking at last season's numbers. So assuming Pitt will have higher rushing ypg allowed is fine if you really think so, but then you would have to look at every single team in both divisions.

I think he should perform better than Jamal Lewis. But it won't be because of their O-Line, and it won't be because the AFC North rushing defenses are swiss cheese compared to the AFC East.

Okay...now that's just bad analysis. You are factoring in Buffalo's rush D which is almost as bad as Cleveland's and which McGahee never went against, and Baltimore's Rush D which is the second best last year in the league , which he will not have to face.

Way to use the numbers in your favor :D

You want to use just rush D and just the division opponents, then it's 108.5 for the AFC East and 115.6 for the NFC North.

Now considering I'd give Miami a bump with the acquisition of Porter, the NYJ a bump in Mangini's second season, and the NEP a bump with the addition of A Thomas, and I'd give Pitt a bump down with the loss of Porter and leave Cin and Cle the same, I am saying he will be more effective against the softer defenses in the NFC north.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it! :D

I only posted the divisional comparison for trivia's sake.

The only comparison that matters for McGahee is the one I posted in post 22:

http://forums.thehuddle.com/index.php?s=&s...dpost&p=1954819

Obviously many things affect rushing D. However if you know what a teams rushing ypg allowed is, why would you use any other factors to determine what their rushing ypg is?

It's like people who want to nudge a pointspread towards a home team because they have the home field advantage. The pointspread is already set knowing the home field advantage.

We know that Cle has passing D problems, as does Cincy. Fine. But their rushing ypg are what they are, due to these problems. These are not rushing ypg in a vaccum ignoring the rest of their D. The best measure of how many yards a RB will gain against a team is to look at their rushing ypg allowed.

I only posted the divisional comparison for trivia's sake.

The only comparison that matters for McGahee is the one I posted in post 22:

http://forums.thehuddle.com/index.php?s=&s...dpost&p=1954819

Obviously many things affect rushing D. However if you know what a teams rushing ypg allowed is, why would you use any other factors to determine what their rushing ypg is?

It's like people who want to nudge a pointspread towards a home team because they have the home field advantage. The pointspread is already set knowing the home field advantage.

We know that Cle has passing D problems, as does Cincy. Fine. But their rushing ypg are what they are, due to these problems. These are not rushing ypg in a vaccum ignoring the rest of their D. The best measure of how many yards a RB will gain against a team is to look at their rushing ypg allowed.

I didn't...I am talking about how tough their D will be next season, and to do that you need to consider other factors than what they did last year :D

McGahee will have an easier rushing schedule in his division. I am not here to convince you of it, it is my opinion. It looks like you are letting homer pride get in the way of seeing the factors that will create that situation.

I actually agree with Ryan here... :D

McGahee has never really impressed me outside of his first year playing in the league. These past two years he has shown little. He'll break a big play off three times a year for a long t.d. The rest of the plays he does nothing.

Yeah, me too. I've written a note to the Ravens asking Ozzie Newsome to resign and to give the job to Ryan. Ozzie clearly has no idea what he's doing.

Bull sh*t, the Ravens couldnt run the ball last yr, and the line wasnt opening up running lanes. You are a homer no doubt, but at least bring an honest assessment to the site. Not some rose colored glasses. And this time next yr everyone will know the Ravens overpaid for the average Magahee.

This is a pretty f'ng arrogant response if you ask me. He has an opinion just like yours.

Yours is no better than his. Get off your high horse already.

Comparing the 2 isn't a night-and-day comparison, but I think Mc is better than Lewis and BAL OL is better than BUF OL (and even in his old age McNair beats Losman), so if Lewis can get 1100/9 in BAL....

I think he's in for a fine year.

Not LT fine, but top 10 consideration for sure.

McGahee got $7.5 up front, a $6 million bonus this time next year and a $1.5 million bonus the year after. His reported salaries are $595,000 for 2007, $605,000 for 2008, $620,000 for 2009, $3.6 million for 2010, $6.0 in 2011, $6.5 in 2011 and $7.2 in 2012.

Looking at the salaries, I bet this is really a 3-4 year deal.

For a 4 year deal, he gets $15 in bonus money and $5.4 in salary. That is $20.4 for 4 years, or $5.1 million a year. Given that Jamal just got $3.5 with the ability to get $5, this is not really out of whack.

With $15 million in bonus money, that is just over $2 mil/year against the cap in bonus $$ since it is a 7 year deal. After 4 years, there will be about $6 mil + left to take against the cap, which is EXACTLY what Willis is due to make in salary that 5th year. So there will be a cap savings of $2+ million if he is cut between year 4 and 5. This is due to the $6 mil in salary and $2+ mil in cap ($8 against the cap) being replaced with the $6+ in accelerated cap charges.

My take, if he improves the running game to the point that the passing game can benefit, it is worth it.

Edited by Big Red

Comparing the 2 isn't a night-and-day comparison, but I think Mc is better than Lewis and BAL OL is better than BUF OL (and even in his old age McNair beats Losman), so if Lewis can get 1100/9 in BAL....

I think he's in for a fine year.

Not LT fine, but top 10 consideration for sure.

I think Buffalo is on a up swing, while Baltimore is on a down swing. I really think Buffalo's Line will be considerably better this year compared to last. I'm not sure if McGahee production will change...in fact I believe it will be the same if not worst.

Bull sh*t, the Ravens couldnt run the ball last yr, and the line wasnt opening up running lanes. You are a homer no doubt, but at least bring an honest assessment to the site. Not some rose colored glasses. And this time next yr everyone will know the Ravens overpaid for the average Magahee.

:D

Magahee isn't the second coming, but he'll do more for us than Jamal did. The real laugher is Phil Savage signed him. Jamal just doesn't have it anymore, he's been subpar for a couple seasons now.

I like the move. Baltimore must not like Smith much or they wouldn't have given Lewis the ball over 300 times last year.

I think Mcgahee's numbers go up this year.

The Ravens DO like Smith, but he cannot stay healthy :D

If he is going to get the majority of the carries then he is definitely top 10 material.With all the RBBC in the league and more teams looking to go this route Willis has to be considered a very low first rounder, high second rounder IMO.