[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Rank RB's on new teams

Randall

1. McGahee- Balt Henry

2. Henry- Den Jones

3. Jones- NY J Mcgahee--not sold on the Raven OL at this point

4. Green- Hou

5. Lewis- Cle Bell

6. Bell- Det... Droughns

7. Droughns- NY G Lewis--some believe he is a temporary stop-gap, that they'll draft Peterson, and he'll be starting by week 6

8. Rhodes- Oak

9. Duckett Lions

Good stuff :D

These three will be the primary backs on their teams:

1. McGahee- Bal

2. Jones- NY J

3. Bell- Det

These three will be part of RBBC's:

4. Henry- Den

5. Green- Hou

6. Lewis- Cle

These three are potential point hoarders/handcuffs:

7. Rhodes- Oak

8. Droughns- NY G

9. Duckett Lions

You really think Mike Bell, Samkon Gado & Jerome Harrison are going to get that many carries?

Maybe not those three in particular, but I'd be surprised if any of the three names in that middle category match the production they had in 2006.

1. Henry - DEN DEN is getting back to its old form on O. Henry has 1300 & 1400 yd seasons on his resume & finished last year strong. DEN has cleaned out some turds that have hung around way too long (Foster, T Bell, Plummer, Carlisle, S Alexander) and finally is putting R Smith (Gawd bless him) out to pasture. That leads the way for Cutler & a two pronged very athletic & physical WR corps (Walker & Marshall - see R Smith/McCaffrey in the SB years), a power blocking TE in Graham, and that leads the way for Henry. Look at the stats under Shanahan - when the passing game thrives, the running game goes off the board successful.

2. Jones - NYJ Great young line that really picked it up in the 2nd half of last season. 2 very strong WRs with a very capable QB, the D is very solid, & the division is weak. Lots of opportunity for the running game to make hay in the 2nd half of a lot of games.

3. Green - HOU Versatile RB with not much competition. Former DEN OC running the show. D is getting better. If they can get a couple of FA vets to help on the front line, or they can finagle at least one first day pick on the O-line (or both), Green could really surprise.

4. Rhodes - OAK The O just doesn't function with Jordan back there, and he had health problems last year. Rhodes isn't going to make people forget Marcus Allen, but given the state of the rest of the list, I like Rhodes' shot at making at least a little noise.

5. McGahee - BAL Ugh. Went from a poor run O-line to another poor run O-line. He still has a lot to prove despite his opinion of himself. If McNair can stay upright for another full season, he makes for a mediocre RB. If McNair's age catchs up with him or he's out for an extended time with yet another injury, McGahee slides down the list a spot or two.

6. Lewis - CLE. Geez, it's CLE. The line is still a mess, and there's a reasonable possibility that a rookie will be their starting QB or that he'll be splitting carries with a very formidible rookie RB. Plus they play in a division where they catch BAL & PIT twice. Add Lewis' injury history going way back & that he has been used up pretty good, and I just don't see much here to get excited about.

7. T Bell - DET. There's a ton of RBs in camp. Who knows what the timeline is on K Jones & Calhoun returning, though with all the RBs on the roster now, it would figure that DET is thinking they need help there for at least the first part of the season. I just don't see T Bell as a Martz type of RB. There may be some early opportunity in DET - but if he manages even some modestly successful games, trade him ASAP.

8. Droughns - NYG The only way he gets a chnace to succeed is if Jacobs flops completely or gets hurt. I don't see either thing as likely right now, so Droughns will get the scraps from Jacobs' table. Very limited opportunity, but that may be enough to push him past T Bell by the end of the year. If T Bell is traded to the Giants, T Bell's value stays about the same, but Droughns falls off the map.

9. Duckett - DET. How is this guy even in the league? Maybe he'll get some goal line chances early if T Bell has to be the #1 RB, but after K Jones gets back, Duckett's value goes in the crapper. Robert Holcombe II, anyone?

1. Henry - I'm not convinced that Mike Bell will be a significant factor.

2. Jones - like the NYJ more and more. It wasn't sexy last year, but taking two OL high in the draft begins to really pay off this year IMO.

3. McGahee - since he'll be the primary RB.

4. Rhodes - I always knew Lamont was overrated.

5. Bell - Who knows how this shakes out, but if someone can solve his fumbling problems, he could be a good yardage guy IMO.

6. Lewis - washed up

7. Green - see above

8. Droughns - backup at best

9. Duckett - bust from day one

1. Henry - DEN DEN is getting back to its old form on O. Henry has 1300 & 1400 yd seasons on his resume & finished last year strong. DEN has cleaned out some turds that have hung around way too long (Foster, T Bell, Plummer, Carlisle, S Alexander) and finally is putting R Smith (Gawd bless him) out to pasture. That leads the way for Cutler & a two pronged very athletic & physical WR corps (Walker & Marshall - see R Smith/McCaffrey in the SB years), a power blocking TE in Graham, and that leads the way for Henry. Look at the stats under Shanahan - when the passing game thrives, the running game goes off the board successful.

Denver hasn't had a clearcut guy since Ruben Droughns in 2004, and even he only got 51.5% of the carries. It's been since Clinton Portis in 2002 where a RB had more than 55% of the carries, and that was his 2nd season in the league.

Travis Henry has been in the NFL for six seasons. He played a full 16 games only once (2002). His 2004 and 2005 were more or less non-existent with < 100 carries in each season and zero touchdowns. There is no doubt he bounced back big time with the Titans in 2006, but I can't believe that the knowledgeable Bronco homers in these parts actually think that he's going to go in there and be the #1 guy.

2. Jones - NYJ Great young line that really picked it up in the 2nd half of last season. 2 very strong WRs with a very capable QB, the D is very solid, & the division is weak. Lots of opportunity for the running game to make hay in the 2nd half of a lot of games.

Agree with the synopsis. Way more qualified to have the #1 ranking in this thread than Henry. Back-to-back 1000-yard seasons. Jets ran the ball ~500 times spread out between 3 carriers. Give Jones the ball 250-275 times, and he'll be effective.

but I can't believe that the knowledgeable Bronco homers in these parts actually think that he's going to go in there and be the #1 guy.

:D

You mean like everyone knew a 6th round nobody named Terrell Davis would be an after-thought & a bench sitter?

Or Olandis Gary? Or Mike Anderson? Or Rueben Droughns? Or Mike Bell?

If there is anything "knowledgeable Bronco homers" know, it's that it is no surprise when any RB goes off in the DEN system. This is a guy who has proven he's capable of 1400+ yds in a full season, 1300+ yards when he misses 1 game, and 1200+ yds when he misses 2 games in a year for 2 other teams - neither of which amassed running games close to DEN's.

In fact, given his track record when given the opportunity to be the featured RB, "knowledgeable Bronco homers" are confident that he can exceed his already established level of success, maybe by quite a bit.

Edited by Bronco Billy

Denver hasn't had a clearcut guy since Ruben Droughns in 2004, and even he only got 51.5% of the carries. It's been since Clinton Portis in 2002 where a RB had more than 55% of the carries, and that was his 2nd season in the league.

Travis Henry has been in the NFL for six seasons. He played a full 16 games only once (2002). His 2004 and 2005 were more or less non-existent with < 100 carries in each season and zero touchdowns. There is no doubt he bounced back big time with the Titans in 2006, but I can't believe that the knowledgeable Bronco homers in these parts actually think that he's going to go in there and be the #1 guy.

Agree with the synopsis. Way more qualified to have the #1 ranking in this thread than Henry. Back-to-back 1000-yard seasons. Jets ran the ball ~500 times spread out between 3 carriers. Give Jones the ball 250-275 times, and he'll be effective.

I'm surprised Shanahan doesn't grab guys off the street and prove they could be 1000 yard rushers.

You do realize that the RBBC has reared its ugly head in Denver due to injury don't you? The down side of having to much faith in the running game and just being able to plug anyone into the system is probably directly related to injury/forced into an RBBC. Shanny hasn't felt like he needed to spend a high pick on a RB for years. Which was obviously a mistake. Bell was a 2nd round flop. Hopefully Henry fixes this situeation.

Henry will get the majority of the carries unless he 1) doesn't produce, or 2) gets injured. At this point my guess would be 70/30 split.

Edited by NAUgrad

In fact, given his track record when given the opportunity to be the featured RB, "knowledgeable Bronco homers" are confident that he can exceed his already established level of success, maybe by quite a bit.

Now that's getting to be a little on the kool aid side. Tennessee ran for more yards than Denver did last season. Not to mention the quality of their opponents lacked somewhat.

I rode the Henry train last year, and I'm hoping he goes in and does well again in 2007, but I honestly don't believe he's in a situation where he's going to get the sole crack at TD looks, nor will he be the work horse in the backfield you seem to think he will be (history tends to be on my side there).

Henry will get the majority of the carries unless he 1) doesn't produce, or 2) gets injured. At this point my guess would be 70/30 split.

Well, yeah, that's true for any RB.

The problem with Henry in this situation is that A) the Denver system has never used an RB anywhere close to 70% of the time since Terrell Davis in 1998 (not even more than 60%), and :D Henry has an injury history.

Now that's getting to be a little on the kool aid side. Tennessee ran for more yards than Denver did last season.

I hope that you're not implying that TEN has established a rushing record comparable to DEN's. DEN had a poor rushing year last year & still finished 8th best in the league. When the opportunity arises to get the #1 RB cheap for a team that has finished out of the top 10 rushing teams in the league once since Shanahan has taken over, and has been top 5 in rushing 9 times in that same span, one sits up & takes notice - especially like I stated previously, when that #1 RB has proven he is capable of rushing with lesser rushing teams.

Do you consider the possibility that TEN made such a huge jump in rushing in one year might be due at least in part to Henry's talent?

That said, I do think Jones to the Jets is a great pickup, and it wouldn't surprise me one iota to see him have a great year.

I agree 100% here.

When the signing was announced, I acquired Henry as my #2 back to go with SJax. I really believe he is primed for a phenomenal year. If he ran well in Buffalo and Tennessee, the potential is there for him to easily be a top ten back in Denver, without question.

The proof is in the pudding when it comes to the Denver running game. They've got it figured out and now they have a back to vault them back into the top 5, team wise. Fantastic move by the Broncos and, I strongly believe, by me to acquire him.

You guys are forgetting one thing---the chip on T.Hen's shoulder has shrunk tremendously. He isn't trying to prove anything to Buffalo this season and he got paid. Now, I love the way he runs, but he is a bit too risky of a pick for me.