[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Will Clinton Portis rebound to be a top Fantasy RB?

9ersdude

I say top 5 to 10, what say you?

I believe you are going to see a split between him and Betts this year. The Redskins running game is going to be a nasty one with both of them and I doubt that Gibbs is going ot favor one over the other after Betts performance last year.

I would say Portis a solid high end #3, low end #2.

I believe you are going to see a split between him and Betts this year. The Redskins running game is going to be a nasty one with both of them and I doubt that Gibbs is going ot favor one over the other after Betts performance last year.

I would say Portis a solid high end #3, low end #2.

You really believe that the carries in Washington will be fairly evenly split between Portis and Betts? :D Dont get me wrong, I like Betts. But he isnt Clinton Portis and I dont see rbbc here so much as Portis being the man and Betts coming in to spell him.

Well Gibbs has been saying how he liked to give both equal time and that he believes he has a fantastic back field with enough room for both.

I don't buy that. Portis isn't going to get 350 carries, but Betts isn't productive enough for a true RBBC with Portis. That said, it wouldn't shock me if the larger Betts vultured a few goal-line carries.

Agreed that Portis will be in the Top 10, but probably not in the Top 5.

Edited by Bill Swerski

I don't buy that. Portis isn't going to get 350 carries, but Betts isn't productive enough for a true RBBC with Portis. That said, it wouldn't shock me if the larger Betts vultured a few goal-line carries.

Agreed that Portis will be in the Top 10, but probably not in the Top 5.

I'm just tell ya what Gibbs has said.

I'd like to think Portis is a definate first rounder, but Betts proved too much worth to be purely a back up. You can't run as well as he did and not see the field. If both are healthy I'd guess about a 60-40 split, and draft each player accordingly.

I had Portis in two leagues last year, and watched the majority of their games prior to his injury. I remember Betts coming into the game about every other series for a few downs and also the occasional third down. That's a fair amount of sharing right there, and you have to figure his playing time will increase from there.

Eh, maybe and maybe not. Betts has one whole season with over 100 carries under his belt. Either way, I think that Gibbs would be dumb to not give Portis at least 65-70% of the carries.

Don't try to tweak it. He ran 245 times and had a 4.7 avg. He carried the load big time last year and they both have A LOT of years left on their contracts. There's no way Portis is Top 10.

Portis will be top 10 next year but in the bottom 5 for sure. Thats just my opinion (if healthy).

Betts is good and he got good numbers but Portis got hurt thats why. I dont think anyone can argue that Portis could not get Betts yards when Portis was out. Portis would have probably gotten more than Betts in the same situation.

Edited by MrTed46

Don't try to tweak it. He ran 245 times and had a 4.7 avg. He carried the load big time last year and they both have A LOT of years left on their contracts. There's no way Portis is Top 10.

Who the freak is the he? And if you actually thinkt that there is no way that Portis is a top 10 back, I only wish I played against you in one of my leagues....oh wait, that's right. Life is good.

Okay, here are the Redskins’ rushing numbers & trends under Gibbs since his return.

First off, in Gibbs’ 3 years, WAS has averaged 2025 yds rushing a year. The rushing numbers have trended steadily upwards. Rushes average about 495 per year, with an up-and-down trend. Rushing TDs average 11 with the numbers also going up-and-down.

So figure with the averages and the trends that WAS figures to rush for around 2200 yds on 495 carries with 13 rushing TDs in 2008.

Then you look at what the #1 & #2 RBs in WAS do in comparison to those numbers. In the newest Gibbs’ era, the #1 & #2 RB account for about 85% to 86% of the rushing yds, carries, & the rushing TDs. The #1 & #2 RBs the whole time have been Portis & Betts. When Portis & Betts are both healthy, there has been a very steady trend of Betts getting more & more work, from 84% of the combined carries in ’04 to 74% in ’05 to 64% in ’06.

The factor in that Portis has only played 16 games in 2 of his 5 seasons, and that he averages 12 games played a year, while Betts averages about 15 games played a year. That’s consistent with the averages over the past 3 years in WAS.

The final piece of the puzzle is Portis’ career catch to rush ratio of .11 and his rec yds/rush yds ratio of .201, while Betts has a catch/rush ratio of .18 and a recyd/ruyd ratio of .393.

So what can we project in the coming year? Figure that of the 2200 yds rushing, the 495 carries, and the 13 TDs that between Portis & Betts, they ought to account for 1880 rushing yds, 423 carries, and 11 rushing TDs. Figure Portis to play in 12 games & Betts to play in 15 games, and figure that Portis gets 60% of their combined production and Betts get the remaining 40% of their combined production when they play together.

Given those assumptions, this is what the production of each guy boils down to:

Portis

12 games played

212 rushes for 911 yds & 5 TDs

23 catches for 183 yds & 1 TD

12.1 FF ppw in a non-ppr league, 14.0 FF ppw in a ppr league

Betts

15 games played

211 rushes for 970 yds and 6 TDs

38 catches for 307 yds and 1 TD

11.3 FF ppw in a non-ppr league, 13.8 ppw in a ppr league

Based upon their draft positions, Betts’ production looks very similar to Portis, but you can have him much later in the draft, and there isn’t as great a risk of him missing games.

Both guys figure to hover right around the top 10, probably finishing just outside of it.

Either way, Betts looks like a much better value than Portis. Portis figures to finish just below his ADP while Betts figures to finish well ahead of his ADP.

Edited by Bronco Billy

Okay, here are the Redskins’ rushing numbers & trends under Gibbs since his return.

First off, in Gibbs’ 3 years, WAS has averaged 2025 yds rushing a year. The rushing numbers have trended steadily upwards. Rushes average about 495 per year, with an up-and-down trend. Rushing TDs average 11 with the numbers also going up-and-down.

So figure with the averages and the trends that WAS figures to rush for around 2200 yds on 495 carries with 13 rushing TDs in 2008.

Then you look at what the #1 & #2 RBs in WAS do in comparison to those numbers. In the newest Gibbs’ era, the #1 & #2 RB account for about 85% to 86% of the rushing yds, carries, & the rushing TDs. The #1 & #2 RBs the whole time have been Portis & Betts. When Portis & Betts are both healthy, there has been a very steady trend of Betts getting more & more work, from 84% of the combined carries in ’04 to 74% in ’05 to 64% in ’06.

The factor in that Portis has only played 16 games in 2 of his 5 seasons, and that he averages 12 games played a year, while Betts averages about 15 games played a year. That’s consistent with the averages over the past 3 years in WAS.

The final piece of the puzzle is Portis’ career catch to rush ratio of .11 and his rec yds/rush yds ratio of .201, while Betts has a catch/rush ratio of .18 and a recyd/ruyd ratio of .393.

So what can we project in the coming year? Figure that of the 2200 yds rushing, the 495 carries, and the 13 TDs that between Portis & Betts, they ought to account for 1880 rushing yds, 423 carries, and 11 rushing TDs. Figure Portis to play in 12 games & Betts to play in 15 games, and figure that Portis gets 60% of their combined production and Betts get the remaining 40% of their combined production when they play together.

Given those assumptions, this is what the production of each guy boils down to:

Portis

12 games played

212 rushes for 911 yds & 5 TDs

23 catches for 183 yds & 1 TD

12.1 FF ppw in a non-ppr league, 14.0 FF ppw in a ppr league

Betts

15 games played

211 rushes for 970 yds and 6 TDs

38 catches for 307 yds and 1 TD

11.3 FF ppw in a non-ppr league, 13.8 ppw in a ppr league

Based upon their draft positions, Betts’ production looks very similar to Portis, but you can have him much later in the draft, and there isn’t as great a risk of him missing games.

Both guys figure to hover right around the top 10, probably finishing just outside of it.

Either way, Betts looks like a much better value than Portis. Portis figures to finish just below his ADP while Betts figures to finish well ahead of his ADP.

That is interesting but all based on last year, in which Portis was injured for most of the season. He had 1500 plus yards rushing the year before, and 1300 plus the year before that. Averages are funny things.

No way a Portis plays twelve games and only has 900 something rushing yards. That is kookoo for cocoa puffs.

That is interesting but all based on last year, in which Portis was injured for most of the season. He had 1500 plus yards rushing the year before, and 1300 plus the year before that. Averages are funny things.

No way a Portis plays twelve games and only has 900 something rushing yards. That is kookoo for cocoa puffs.

You of course saw that in the past 3 years that Betts gets an incrementally larger share of the workload when both players are healthy & capable of sharing carries, didn't you?

Now, if Portis stays healthy for 16 games, his numbers go up as Betts' go down, but I assume that you also saw that my projection is for Portis playing 12 games next season. He's played in less than 16 games in a season more than he has played a full season in his career.