[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Will Clinton Portis rebound to be a top Fantasy RB?

9ersdude

Don't try to tweak it. He ran 245 times and had a 4.7 avg. He carried the load big time last year and they both have A LOT of years left on their contracts. There's no way Portis is Top 10.

I'm not "tweaking" anything. I'm stating the fact that he did it ONCE and had ZERO 100-carry seasons previously. Dominic Rhodes had a 1,000-yd season back in 2001. Does that make him a legitimate featured back?

Perhaps I'm wrong that Betts couldn't be a good for 200-carry seasons in the long-term. My point was that his relative lack of skill in comparison to Portis will ensure that Portis gets at least 60% of the carries (unless, of course, Gibbs has gone senile). Betts is a very solid backup and is probably better than Portis in short-yardage situations. But Portis is definitely the better back and there's no need for RBBC in Washington.

I'm not "tweaking" anything. I'm stating the fact that he did it ONCE and had ZERO 100-carry seasons previously. Dominic Rhodes had a 1,000-yd season back in 2001. Does that make him a legitimate featured back?

Perhaps I'm wrong that Betts couldn't be a good for 200-carry seasons in the long-term. My point was that his relative lack of skill in comparison to Portis will ensure that Portis gets at least 60% of the carries (unless, of course, Gibbs has gone senile). Betts is a very solid backup and is probably better than Portis in short-yardage situations. But Portis is definitely the better back and there's no need for RBBC in Washington.

I wouldn't say lack in skill, I'd say different because Portis has issues following blocking assignments. That's why our O-line went to the zone blocking scheme (just like denver). the 1st year we had Portis he was missing holes and waiting too long. While he managed okay yardage for "himself" (1315) his TDs were lacking (5). His low TDs were not totally on the lack of redzone offense either. Betts looks just like portis when he punches those holes, has quick powerful feet and frankly if portis were to leave Washington right now Betts could be more than willing and able to replace him with out missing a beat. well except that Betts loves to fumble the ball.

IHMO of course.

But Portis is definitely the better back and there's no need for RBBC in Washington.

Then how do you explain that Betts has a 4.39 ypc & a 8.09 ypr over the same period in WAS that Portis has a 4.08 ypc & a 7.14 ypr?

And before we use the old "CoP RBs almost always get better numbers than featured RBs" B.S., Betts ypc was better after he became the featured RB when Portis went down last year than when he was spelling Portis. And the numbers above are based upon Betts having 55+% of the touches that Portis has had in WAS over the same time period.

Edited by Bronco Billy

I wouldn't say lack in skill, I'd say different because Portis has issues following blocking assignments. That's why our O-line went to the zone blocking scheme (just like denver). the 1st year we had Portis he was missing holes and waiting too long. While he managed okay yardage for "himself" (1315) his TDs were lacking (5). His low TDs were not totally on the lack of redzone offense either. Betts looks just like portis when he punches those holes, has quick powerful feet and frankly if portis were to leave Washington right now Betts could be more than willing and able to replace him with out missing a beat. well except that Betts loves to fumble the ball.

IHMO of course.

I thought that WAS moved to the zone-blocking scheme because it better fits Portis' speed/cutting? :D

Then how do you explain that Betts has a 4.39 ypc & a 8.09 ypr over the same period in WAS that Portis has a 4.08 ypc & a 7.14 ypr?

And before we use the old "CoP RBs almost always get better numbers than featured RBs" B.S., Betts ypc was better after he became the featured RB when Portis went down last year than when he was spelling Portis. And the numbers above are based upon Betts having 55+% of the touches that Portis has had in WAS over the same time period.

No offense to Betts, who I really enjoyed watching in college, but get back to me after he's done it over the course of a full season.

No offense to Betts, who I really enjoyed watching in college, but get back to me after he's done it over the course of a full season.

So a player has to prove it to you over an extended period before you can give it credibility? Betts did this on the same team with the same surrounding talent that Portis has had.

That must go a long ways in FF leagues. I imagine you won't be drafting AD or Lynch in a redraft league, even if they were there in the 8th or 9th round, huh?

So a player has to prove it to you over an extended period before you can give it credibility? Betts did this on the same team with the same surrounding talent that Portis has had.

That must go a long ways in FF leagues. I imagine you won't be drafting AD or Lynch in a redraft league, even if they were there in the 8th or 9th round, huh?

My, aren't we a little pissy today? :D

Portis has performed at a Pro Bowl level as a featured back in the past. Betts has not. While I agree that Betts is a pretty decent back, there's little evidence that he's as good as Portis. Therefore, I would think that Betts would be a good candidate for an even-split RBBC situation if, say, Cedric Benson were Gibbs' only other option. But if a healthy Portis is at Gibbs' disposal, I don't see how Clinton doesn't get 65% of the carries.

No, I'd just like to see a bit more of an argument based in fact, instead of how you feel about a player. You want feelings? Go to the NOW board.

Facts? Portis is on track to be one of the best RB's in history given his performance to date. Betts is a very good backup who could be a good starter.

Why are you so purposefully dense?

Edited by skins

Facts? Portis is on track to be one of the best RB's in history given his performance to date. Betts is a very good backup who could be a good starter.

Why are you so purposefully dense?

:D

Did you find your crack pipe again?

Portis hasn't cracked the top 50 for career rushing yds yet. He's 2 full seasons short of even cracking the top 25 rushers in NFL history, and at least 7 of the guys in front of him are still active (more if you include a guy like R Williams).

He has played for 5 seasons, but only 2 full seasons so far. Between injuries & upcoming guys like Betts who steal carries (and Betts' increased role in the O to Portis' detriment when both are healthy is something I documented), he'll hardly go down as one of the best RBs in history.

Not only that, but since leaving DEN, his ypc has dropped from a jaw-dropping 5+ ypc to just barely above 4 ypc. That's hardly the stuff of legends, there, champ. That 4.080 ypc he's had since he got to WAS ranks #220 in NFL history for RBs with at least 200 career carries, right there between legends Keith Griffin & Billy Cannon.

Edited by Bronco Billy

:D

Did you find your crack pipe again?

Portis hasn't cracked the top 50 for career rushing yds yet. He's 2 full seasons short of even cracking the top 25 rushers in NFL history, and at least 7 of the guys in front of him are still active (more if you include a guy like R Williams).

He has played for 5 seasons, but only 2 full seasons so far. Between injuries & upcoming guys like Betts who steal carries (and Betts' increased role in the O to Portis' detriment when both are healthy is something I documented), he'll hardly go down as one of the best RBs in history.

Not only that, but since leaving DEN, his ypc has dropped from a jaw-dropping 5+ ypc to just barely above 4 ypc. That's hardly the stuff of legends, there, champ. That 4.080 ypc he's had since he got to WAS ranks #220 in NFL history for RBs with at least 200 career carries, right there between legends Keith Griffin & Billy Cannon.

You wanted facts why Portis would get the majority of carries and is better than Betts and they are obvious to anyone who knows football.

At his age, with his stats to date, he is on pace to go down as one of the greatest. Will it happen? Who knows.

But to date, he is one of the very best over their first five seasons. Tell me the guys who are better.

I consider Portis a top RB still....I am just a little leary about how much Betts will touch the ball..

I know he'll play a significant role, but the question is....will it CUT into what Portis can do?...

Betts can get all the touches he wants...but if Portis loses his usual PT...then I'd be a little scared...

all-in-all...he probably isn't in my top 5 this year....but he still makes the top 10 because he can make plays and Betts is injury prone......(I don't care what happened last year...I throw contract years out the window alot when gauging a players value)..