[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Breaking News

Footballjoe

:D

Stallworth to get $12M guaranteed from Pats

ESPN.com news services

The Patriots continued their offseason spending spree, adding wide receiver Donte' Stallworth to their 2007 haul, a league source told ESPN.com's Michael Smith.

Stallworth will sign a six-year contract. The deal is believed to be worth a little more that $30 million with close to $12 million guaranteed, the source told Smith.

Stallworth, who played last season in Philadelphia after being acquired from the New Orleans Saints, also was being courted by the Eagles, Dolphins and Titans.

Stallworth, 28, had 38 catches for 725 yards and five touchdowns for the Eagles in 2006. A first-round choice of the Saints in the 2002 draft, he has 233 career receptions for 3,516 yards and 28 touchdowns in 68 games, including 44 starts.

League and union officials are investigating a Philadelphia Inquirer report that Stallworth is in the NFL's substance-abuse program, sources from both parties told ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli.

Citing unnamed sources, the Philadelphia Inquirer reported Monday that Stallworth is a participant in the league program, and that he could be subject to suspension if he suffered a repeat violation of its conditions. The newspaper also reported that a breach of the program's confidentiality agreement can warrant a league fine, and NFL and NFL Players Association officials began to seek out possible sources for the leak on Monday.

The Patriots have been busy this offseason, adding coveted linebacker Adalius Thomas, ranked No. 2 on ESPN.com's list of free agents, as well as Dolphins kick returner/receiver Wes Welker, tight end Kyle Brady and backup running back Sammy Morris.

Edited by justin

As I said elswhere:

Have to wonder if NE isn't being uncharacteristically aggressive in the FA market because they feel their window for one last SB in the Brady/Belichek era is closing fast. I mean cmon.....all that coin for Stallworth?

And lol @ ever thinking Moss to NE ever had a chance.

Didnt I hear somewhere that Stallworth will be suspended for 4 games this year for violation of the NFL substance abuse policy? I could be wrong but I thought I heard that here..

He is in the program. Meaning that if he tested positive or a dui then he would get a 4 game suspension.

As I said elswhere:

Have to wonder if NE isn't being uncharacteristically aggressive in the FA market because they feel their window for one last SB in the Brady/Belichek era is closing fast. I mean cmon.....all that coin for Stallworth?

And lol @ ever thinking Moss to NE ever had a chance.

Beer, I think it has more to do with their evaluation of the talent available to them both in FA and the draft..and their needs. They had the money to spend this year and so they did.

Historically, the Pats have always spent up pretty close to the cap..it's just that they don't typically give out hugh contracts. So in that sense this is a little different. I think they lost out on 1-2 guys in last year's FA because of the structure of the contracts offered (Derrick Mason, for example). And speaking of that...I bet Mason wishes he'd gone to the Pats now rather than the no man's land he's in.

I say just draft someone, on the second day. With Maroney getting 18-20 carries, Faulk catching balls, Evans getting a carry or three, I'm happy with the backs. In fact, I was in the camp that wanted them to sit Dillon this past year and run Maroney with the other two. I'll get my wish, just a year late.

If we're going to open the checkbook, I'd rather it be for A.Thomas or a WR (Stallworth, Engram :D) as opposed to a RB that's going to get only 10 carries a game or so.

I like the signing. I like it a lot. :D

Beer, I think it has more to do with their evaluation of the talent available to them both in FA and the draft..and their needs.

Yeah I hear you, but the draft WR class is deep this year, they just got Walker, and (supposedly) Chad Jackson is an up n comer. I know even given that they still have some real need at WR, but IMO this is a big risk of overpayment given the ? marks about the guy. Course if anyone can get a huge year out of him, it's NE (despite their "WRBC" tradition).

They had the money to spend this year and so they did.
I guess, if they have money to burn - wish I had that problem :D

Historically, the Pats have always spent up pretty close to the cap..it's just that they don't typically give out hugh contracts. So in that sense this is a little different. I think they lost out on 1-2 guys in last year's FA because of the structure of the contracts offered (Derrick Mason, for example). And speaking of that...I bet Mason wishes he'd gone to the Pats now rather than the no man's land he's in.

Good point/post overall.....well except maybe that last part. On a 13-3 team is no man's land? Or did you just mean him losing out to Clayton as "the man" now?

Not a lot of money unless they decide to keep him.

From ESPN-

Stallworth will receive an initial signing bonus of $1 million, a roster bonus of $1.6 million and a $300,000 workout bonus, to go along with his 2007 base salary of $700,000. That totals $3.6 million for the coming season.

It's after the 2007 season, however, when the really big money kicks in.

For the Patriots to retain Stallworth for the 2008 season, they must pay him an option bonus of $6 million by Feb. 25, 2008. There is a subsequent roster bonus of $2 million due on March 1, a second roster bonus of $1.6 million based on playing time, a base salary of $1 million and a $400,000 workout bonus. That totals an exorbitant $11 million for 2008, or a two-year total of $14.6 million.

Not a lot of money unless they decide to keep him.

From ESPN-

Stallworth will receive an initial signing bonus of $1 million, a roster bonus of $1.6 million and a $300,000 workout bonus, to go along with his 2007 base salary of $700,000. That totals $3.6 million for the coming season.

It's after the 2007 season, however, when the really big money kicks in.

For the Patriots to retain Stallworth for the 2008 season, they must pay him an option bonus of $6 million by Feb. 25, 2008. There is a subsequent roster bonus of $2 million due on March 1, a second roster bonus of $1.6 million based on playing time, a base salary of $1 million and a $400,000 workout bonus. That totals an exorbitant $11 million for 2008, or a two-year total of $14.6 million.

A 4 game suspension is definitely coming. He had to be drunk or high to sign that contract.