[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What was the most challenging, nerve-racking, stressful situation

irish

I get it. You hit a guy with your car and he's the bad guy.

:tup:

:D:D

How about something you weren't responsible for creating?

Waking up at 4:31am on January 17th, 1994 3 miles directly east from the epicenter of this earthquake, which was felt over 200 miles away was VERY stressful. And for sure it wasn't my fault. It was an unnamed thrust fault.

Here are the directions from the epicenter to where I was staying.

Two photos of a building a few blocks from me, after the sun came up:

No hot shower for a week.

Edited to add: 35 seconds of being inside a building making all kinds of noise I never want to hear again. Shaking like a jackhammer. Convinced it's about to collapse and bury me alive. Each second seemed like 35 years. That was stressful.

Edited by Pope Flick

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a friend join the Marines and he said they were insane. He told me that the drill sargeant told him to do something crazy, I forget what it was but I'll ask him, and he didn't do it and the guy threw him out of a second story window. :D He also said there were a ton of beat downs handed out.

Drill Instructor. :D

Yes, it was pretty crazy. I think we had a total of about 6 or 7 recruits try and commit suicide. There's a lot of mental stress along with the physical stress of marine recruit training. It sucked.

gotta give irish credit for one thing....he's a glutton for punishment :D

i agree. i've not seen such tenacity before ... taking a month off and reinventing yourself may be the better course of action at this point.

Stressful? Hmmmmmm. I guess Marine Corps Recruit Training, June-Oct. 1972. 99 days of hell. Drill Instructor Sgt. Grush left an indelible impression (and some scars). Seeing my son get hit by a car while he was crossing the street on the way home from school wasn't pleasant either. Sitting in a hallway of petrified 7th graders while a tornado tore the roof of our school's gym last Sept. was somewhat exciting as well. Other that that, my life is stress-free.

Oh yeah, there was that day some guy hit me with his car while I was riding my bike home from my job at the brewery. :D

there was this time i was ridinging my bike home after helping my drunk friend and some a-hole erratically pulls out into trafic and hits me with his truck. well i roll right over his hood and hit the pavement hard. my knees were killing me and hurt all over. it took everything i had not to kill this boob... then the f'er takes off..... somehow he calls in and is put through to the cop on call........... pretty crappy exerience.

Mine involved Marine Corp recruit training. When I have more time later I'll write up a story, but so far I've never been more stressed in my life than boot camp. All I can say is that they prepared me very well for Iraq.

Don't ask, don't tell.

gotta give irish credit for one thing....he's a glutton for punishment :D

Punishment? :D It's all good my man having fun just like the rest of you.

i agree. i've not seen such tenacity before ... taking a month off and reinventing yourself may be the better course of action at this point.

Na, I like me just the way I am and so do all of you. :tup:

Easy for me - when my wife was delivering our 3rd child, there was a point in the delivery when the doc called other docs and the number of nurses in the room tripled. My wife was in and out of consciousness and I wasn't getting any info.

It was only 5-10 minutes, but it was easily the most stressful thing I've experienced.

:tup: Mojo20

He's a cop!? That's awesome. :D

I was actually going to post a thread regarding The Huddle's need for a cop. I guess I can scratch that one off the list. Now all we need is an FBI agent or some sort of Army/Marine General to balance out The Huddle. Second thought, maybe that isn't such a great thing... :D

Stressful? Hmmmmmm. I guess Marine Corps Recruit Training, June-Oct. 1972. 99 days of hell. Drill Instructor Sgt. Grush left an indelible impression (and some scars). Seeing my son get hit by a car while he was crossing the street on the way home from school wasn't pleasant either. Sitting in a hallway of petrified 7th graders while a tornado tore the roof of our school's gym last Sept. was somewhat exciting as well. Other that that, my life is stress-free.

Oh yeah, there was that day some guy hit me with his car while I was riding my bike home from my job at the brewery. :D

A fellow Devil Dog, Semper Fi Marine. :D

When my youngest daughter came 6 weeks early. My wife called me interestingly enough the day I was taking my real estate exam..I just finished the test which was stressfull in itself and my cell rings and my wife tells me her water broke..I was supposed to go into work in NY instead I go home and take her to the hospital. The Doc comes in and said they were going to wait as long as possible to take the baby via C section but asked us if we wanted to rethink our decision to tie my wifes tubes during the C section since the baby was coming early (we still had them tied). We waited 2 days and the baby was delivered 4th of July..As soon as she came out the pre natal doctor scooped her up and did a quick examination and said the signs look good..She pooped right after she came out so we immediately knew the plumbing was ok and she was crying pretty hard and breathing on her own so we knew the lungs were as good as we could hope for which is a major issue with preemies..Long story short she was in intensive care preemie wing for 8 days then she came home with us..She is 3.5 now and thank God as strong as an ox..

I had a similar experience.

During a routine sonogram the doc notices the amniotic fluid level appeared lower than it should have been. My wife goes into the hospital for observation and winds up spending three weeks getting steroid shots to accelerate lung development in the baby. Total bed rest. She wasn't even allowed to roll over without assistance from a nurse.

I'm working all day and spending all evening at the hospital trying to provide moral support to a completely stressed out pregnant women. Not an easy thing to do under the circumstances. At the 32 week mark, I arrive at the hospital to find out they are prepping my wife for an emergency C section. Seems the fluid level had dropped to a dangerous level and they needed to deliver right away. I had all of five minutes to talk to her before they rolled her away. I wind up pacing for a what seemed like hours waiting for some news. They had no idea whether my daughter would be OK or not, not to mention the possible complications my wife could be dealing with.

There was some minor difficulty during the procedure, but in the end my daughter was extracted and rushed off to the NICU. It didn't end there. We had two more months of daily hospital visits. My daughter was on a respirator for the first three weeks. They had to insert a chest tube at one point. Of course my wife is also trying to recover from the surgery at the same time. She's going through some postpartum and we are having to see my daughter with tubes sticking out of her. We are surrounded by other babies and stressed out parents. We had to see other babies die, grieving parents, emergency surgical procedures, etc. I can't imagine how those doctors and nurses (especially the nurses) can deal with all that pain and suffering.

Thankfully, after two months we were finally able to bring her home. 16 years (almost) later, she is on the verge of becoming a black belt and can most likely kick my butt.

I would never wish that kind of daily stress on my worst enemy.

I have to say I read the original thread on my blackberry and did not see all the details till I read I again

Hitting someone by accident regardless of who it is with your car has to be stressful and I do feel for the person as it has to weigh on you ...but I read the rest and I can understand why a great deal of criticism was thrown irish way ...

Some of it over the top but unfortunately people have long memories irish ... Might want to pick and choose what you post

Sincerely,

Ann landers