[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Standardized Testing...

irish

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Given that the vast majority our society were never in Special Ed, I don't see what that has to do with this discussion.

As much as we all hated taking standardized tests, they're necessary. A 3.8 GPA from a gang-ridden public high school in Compton isn't equivalent to a 3.8 GPA from an elite New England Boarding School. A 3.8 GPA from Northeast Montana State University isn't equivalent to a 3.8 GPA from Cal Tech.

u are the master of the obvious... and there probably 0 special ed students at the NE boarding school but there are a lot in public school ...

Given that the vast majority our society were never in Special Ed, I don't see what that has to do with this discussion.

As much as we all hated taking standardized tests, they're necessary. A 3.8 GPA from a gang-ridden public high school in Compton isn't equivalent to a 3.8 GPA from an elite New England Boarding School. A 3.8 GPA from Northeast Montana State University isn't equivalent to a 3.8 GPA from Cal Tech.

It has everything to do with the discussion and you sound like someone not in education especially in NJ. I'm a special ed. teacher and 2 years ago APA testing as a substitute for standardized testing was an oddity now it's becoming the norm as they don't want these kids being added to the score to lower it because of NCLB and instead this is supposed to be a reasonable substitute. :D NOT!!!

It has everything to do with the discussion and you sound like someone not in education especially in NJ. I'm a special ed. teacher and 2 years ago APA testing as a substitute for standardized testing was an oddity now it's becoming the norm as they don't want these kids being added to the score to lower it because of NCLB and instead this is supposed to be a reasonable substitute. :D NOT!!!

I didn't realize that former Special Ed students went on to become Special Ed teachers.

I'd say that public education is more of a "fracken joke" than standardized testing these days.

Although there is some truth to this, the standardized testing is certainly not helping to solve the problem. As a matter of fact, in NC if a student scores a 25% or so on an EOG, they are grade proficient. :D:tup: Now that makes sense. :D

i have my GED....

I see.

Standardized testing isn't some Republican ploy to punish people who don't test well. It's a method to assess academic accomplishment and intelligence on a level playing field. I'd hardly consider that "a waste of time", especially with the gaping disparity in our nation's public schools.

Although there is some truth to this, the standardized testing is certainly not helping to solve the problem.

The problem is an ever-growing number of parents who don't give a crap about their child's education and the resulting lazy, undisciplined children who make intelligent, qualified public school teachers want to quit their jobs. Standardized testing will NEVER help solve that problem.

I didn't realize that former Special Ed students went on to become Special Ed teachers.

Some do I'm sure as they might have some inside info. that could help other Sp. Ed. people. I, on the other hand, wasn't but was 3rd in my graduating class in HS and Top 10 in college. I'm getting a sense though that you could've been one of my kids. :D:D:tup:

I didn't want to be the geek, thanks for stepping up and filling the role.

I didn't bite the heads off of any chickens. :D

Oh and by the way as an update from the poor kid who flopped yesterday...he was absent today.

Suicide because of the pressures placed on him by his teacher? :D

Some do I'm sure as they might have some inside info. that could help other Sp. Ed. people. I, on the other hand, wasn't but was 3rd in my graduating class in HS and Top 10 in college. I'm getting a sense though that you could've been one of my kids. :D:D:tup:

You'd be wrong about that, as I'd be qualified to teach at your alma mater.

Again, you're failing to grasp the difference between Special Ed kids and everybody else. I'll give you a few minutes to mull that over.

I see.

Standardized testing isn't some Republican ploy to punish people who don't test well. It's a method to assess academic accomplishment and intelligence on a level playing field. I'd hardly consider that "a waste of time", especially with the gaping disparity in our nation's public schools.

u are an expert how??

It's a method to assess academic accomplishment and intelligence on a level playing field.

sorry Charlie this is about as easy as getting out of military service once u have enlisted... there is no level playing field....

Standardized testing isn't the be all end all that NCLB has made it out to be. There are unintended consequences to everything and unfortunately it's all about the testing now. :D

Irish, I wrote a long post that got eaten by the stupid computer. Long story short, are you familiar with Brain Gym? The OT at my school has been using some of the techniques at school. There are some that might be useful for your kid who's freezing up during testing to help break through the fight/flight response he's having.

u are an expert how??

I never claimed to be an expert. But I have worked in academia for all of my professional career and come from a family of teachers, so I'd say that I know a few more things about education than the average Joe.

sorry Charlie this is about as easy as getting out of military service once u have enlisted... there is no level playing field....

You're right. Like I said before, a student with a 3.8 GPA from Northwest Montana Community College is probably not as academically-accomplished as one with the same GPA from MIT. That's why college students looking to move on to grad school take the GRE.

My mother teaches algebra at a public high school in suburban Chicago. Many of her students can only read at a 3rd grade level when they're in 11th and 12th grade, yet the school would rather hand them a diploma than deal with bogus charges of racism from the NAACP. That person doesn't even deserve a GED, much less a high school diploma. It's not a "waste of time" to make these students take tests that hold both the student and the school accountable to a reasonable level of academic competence.

I didn't bite the heads off of any chickens. :D

Suicide because of the pressures placed on him by his teacher? :tup:

Who me? :D Don't confuse me with the politicians.

You'd be wrong about that, as I'd be qualified to teach at your alma mater. Super!!

Again, you're failing to grasp the difference between Special Ed kids and everybody else. I'll give you a few minutes to mull that over.

That's cause there isn't any. They're being counted like everyone else and pulling the scores down. But because of some silly teachers and loads of classroom mods are getting A's and B's and then crumbling on tests and in HS/College mostly the latter. NCLB is ridiculous and I can't wait to see how it's swept under the carpet, when/if it doesn't work.

Standardized testing isn't the be all end all that NCLB has made it out to be. There are unintended consequences to everything and unfortunately it's all about the testing now. :doh:

Irish, I wrote a long post that got eaten by the stupid computer. Long story short, are you familiar with Brain Gym? The OT at my school has been using some of the techniques at school. There are some that might be useful for your kid who's freezing up during testing to help break through the fight/flight response he's having.

I've heard of other stuff but not this. I'll give it a try if not only to help this kid but future ones. Thanks! :D

Edited by irish

That's cause there isn't any. They're being counted like everyone else and pulling the scores down. But because of some silly teachers and loads of classroom mods are getting A's and B's and then crumbling on tests and in HS/College mostly the latter. NCLB is ridiculous and I can't wait to see how it's swept under the carpet, when/if it doesn't work.

I never said that I supported NCLB. Where are you getting that from?

Given that you're an education expert, I'm sure that you're aware that standardized testing existed BEFORE NCLB (the SAT, the ACT, the GRE, the MCAT, the LSAT, etc.).

Many of her students can only read at a 3rd grade level when they're in 11th and 12th grade, yet the school would rather hand them a diploma than deal with bogus charges of racism from the NAACP.

Sounds like that school has some administrative issues and is using external excuses for a scapegoat.

I never claimed to be an expert. But I have worked in academia for all of my professional career and come from a family of teachers, so I'd say that I know a few more things about education than the average Joe.

You're right. Like I said before, a student with a 3.8 GPA from Northwest Montana Community College is probably not as academically-accomplished as one with the same GPA from MIT. That's why college students looking to move on to grad school take the GRE.

My mother teaches algebra at a public high school in suburban Chicago. Many of her students can only read at a 3rd grade level when they're in 11th and 12th grade, yet the school would rather hand them a diploma than deal with bogus charges of racism from the NAACP. That person doesn't even deserve a GED, much less a high school diploma. It's not a "waste of time" to make these students take tests that hold both the student and the school accountable to a reasonable level of academic competence.

its a waste of time.....

does not accomplish a thing....

ive said it a million times here, schools are afraid of failing kids so they just put them in special ed so that that don't count.... repeat don't count in the standardized testing...

so how does a high school help a kid who has gotten to them( buy transfer, moving etc.) that can only read at a 4th grade level.

do u blame the school he/she is at... the ones attended before, the parents :D or just through them to the wind and then pay for them ....

whats the GRE ?