[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Standardized Testing...

irish

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How's that different from the GMAT?

The GMAT is specifically for MBA and other graduate management students. The GRE is basically for most other graduate school programs.

The GRE is so important in determining entry into graduate schools that when I have students come tell me that they want to go to graduate school, I tell them that their score on the GRE will pretty much solely determine what schools they can get into. (This might not be true of students from other schools, but I tell them that coming from a university like Grand Valley State, they must get a very good score to show graduate programs that they are capable of competing at high levels with other students and that just a good gpa and good letters of recommendation won't be enough to do it for them.)

Edited by wiegie

Sounds like that school has some administrative issues and is using external excuses for a scapegoat.

Now that I think about it, I believe that it was Jesse Jackson's Rainbow Coalition (not the NAACP) that was giving them problems years ago. You'd be surprised what those people try to pull... and how often they succeed.

The school's main issue now is that school board is basically made up of Rainbow Coalition members. Interestingly, the vast majority of them belong to the same Baptist church and they haven't hired a white faculty member in over a decade. Not surprisingly, the school has gone to crap and is on the verge of closing down.

its a waste of time.....

does not accomplish a thing....

Holding students to basic academic standards and enforcing those standards via testing is only a "waste of time" if you feel that their education is unimportant.

ive said it a million times here, schools are afraid of failing kids so they just put them in special ed so that that don't count.... repeat don't count in the standardized testing...

So, holding the non-Special Ed students to standards is a "waste of time"?

so how does a high school help a kid who has gotten to them( buy transfer, moving etc.) that can only read at a 4th grade level.

Um, by making them learn to read at a higher level and telling them that they don't graduate if they don't succeed? Or is that too much to ask? :D

Edited by Bill Swerski

My brain is wired for standardized tests. Half the time, you don't have to know the right answer: just be able to eliminate the wrong answers and make consistently correct educated guesses between what's left over. That's great for my personal stats, but probably isn't a very good measure of what I've actually been taught.

Edited by yo mama

its a waste of time.....

does not accomplish a thing....

ive said it a million times here, schools are afraid of failing kids so they just put them in special ed so that that don't count.... repeat don't count in the standardized testing...

so how does a high school help a kid who has gotten to them( buy transfer, moving etc.) that can only read at a 4th grade level.

do u blame the school he/she is at... the ones attended before, the parents :D or just through them to the wind and then pay for them ....

whats the GRE ?

this is the longest yukon post i've ever seen.

I never said that I supported NCLB. Where are you getting that from?

Given that you're an education expert, I'm sure that you're aware that standardized testing existed BEFORE NCLB (the SAT, the ACT, the GRE, the MCAT, the LSAT, etc.).

I never thought or stated that you supported NCLB. And I never claimed to be an education expert but thanks to your expertise now I know that those tests existed before NCLB and am an expert like you. :D

My brain is wired for standardized tests. Half the time, you don't have to know the right answer: just be able to eliminate the wrong answers and make consistently correct educated guesses between what's left over. That's great for my personal stats, but probably isn't a very good measure of what I've actually been taught.

Great testing strategies that many including myself teach and have used.

The GMAT is specifically for MBA and other graduate management students. The GRE is basically for most other graduate school programs.

The GRE is so important in determining entry into graduate schools that when I have students come tell me that they want to go to graduate school, I tell them that their score on the GRE will pretty much solely determine what schools they can get into. (This might not be true of students from other schools, but I tell them that coming from a university like Grand Valley State, they must get a very good score to show graduate programs that they are capable of competing at high levels with other students and that just a good gpa and good letters of recommendation won't be enough to do it for them.)

I took the Miller Analogies for graduate school instead of the GRE. Avoided that whole 'math thing'. :D

Eh, acing the Miller Analogies still looked better than doing 'meh' on the GRE, I'm sure.

Hey, I don't blame you. The grad program that I went into didn't even require GRE scores (which I thought was odd, since they're a Top 25 program), so they didn't get to see my "meh" performance. :D

7th grade boys PE chant?

The "family" version is "On Old Olympus' Towering Tops A Finn And German Viewed Some Hops"

On = Oh = Olfactory

Old = Oh = Optic

Olympus' = Oh = Oculomotor

Towering = To = Trochlear

Tops = Touch = Trigeminal

A = And = Abducens

Finn = Feel = Facial

And = Various = Auditory/Vestibular

German = Girls' = Glossopharyngeal

Viewed = Vagina = Vagus

Some = And = Spinal Accessory

Hops = Hymen = Hypoglossal

Edited by MojoMan

Standardized tests have their place. However, the problem with how heavily they are relied upon in many states now (funding, jobs, etc. all tied to standardized test performance) is that many schools focus their curriculum around these standardized tests. So students learn how to take a math test, not the math itself. It's a subtle, but important difference.

As others have stated, the real problem with education is the parents not being involved with their children's education. Until we find a way to rectify that situation, the Republicans can test the kids into oblivion and the Democrats can throw a gazillion dollars at the problem, yet it still won't help.

Holding students to basic academic standards and enforcing those standards via testing is only a "waste of time" if you feel that their education is unimportant. u dont get it do u :D

So, holding the non-Special Ed students to standards is a "waste of time"?

Um, by making them learn to read at a higher level and telling them that they don't graduate if they don't succeed? Or is that too much to ask? who ever said they shouldn't dumass , thanks to the TEXAS, OUR TEXAS, OH HAIL THE MIGHTY STATE, TEXAS OUR TEXAS, SO WONDERFUL AND GREAT... retards school funding is linked to test score momo or have u been locked up in academia and haven't read a news paper in a while ,

Standardized tests have their place. However, the problem with how heavily they are relied upon in many states now (funding, jobs, etc. all tied to standardized test performance) is that many schools focus their curriculum around these standardized tests. So students learn how to take a math test, not the math itself. It's a subtle, but important difference.

As others have stated, the real problem with education is the parents not being involved with their children's education. Until we find a way to rectify that situation, the Republicans can test the kids into oblivion and the Democrats can throw a gazillion dollars at the problem, yet it still won't help.

:D

BAM! :D:D

u dont get it do u laughing.gif

who ever said they shouldn't dumass , thanks to the TEXAS, OUR TEXAS, OH HAIL THE MIGHTY STATE, TEXAS OUR TEXAS, SO WONDERFUL AND GREAT... retards school funding is linked to test score momo or have u been locked up in academia and haven't read a news paper in a while

I find it laughable that Mr. GED is calling me a "dumass." (I take it that you meant "dumbass".) :D

No, you're right, incompetently-run schools should be rewarded with the same amount of funding as those that actually do their jobs. :D

Edited by Bill Swerski

I never claimed to be an expert. But I have worked in academia for all of my professional career and come from a family of teachers, so I'd say that I know a few more things about education than the average Joe.

You're right. Like I said before, a student with a 3.8 GPA from Northwest Montana Community College is probably not as academically-accomplished as one with the same GPA from MIT. That's why college students looking to move on to grad school take the GRE.

My mother teaches algebra at a public high school in suburban Chicago. Many of her students can only read at a 3rd grade level when they're in 11th and 12th grade, yet the school would rather hand them a diploma than deal with bogus charges of racism from the NAACP. That person doesn't even deserve a GED, much less a high school diploma. It's not a "waste of time" to make these students take tests that hold both the student and the school accountable to a reasonable level of academic competence.

Hallelujah to that. It applies at the stage of application to college too. I'm not an educator but I'm highly educated. IMO, standardized testing is necessary to assess a diverse applicant pool who wants to move to the next level. A 4.0 out of BFE HS is probably not the same as a 4.0 out of Exeter. That is not to say that a brilliant genius cannot come out of BFE. However, ON AVERAGE, that 4.0 means less.

So, you need the SAT or ACT to normalize for the level of high schol competition when applying to college. Same thing for graduate/professional school.

Plus, for all of those who say that one's performance on the day of a big test is not important compared to performance over time, consider this. In most jobs, performance under pressure is necessary, at least occasionally. Don't we (meaning those who evaluate applicants) want to know whether someone can perform under pressure? Doesn't that predict success too? Who cares if some kid can consistently memorize a few facts when given all day. I want to hire a kid who can perform consistently but can do something in crunch time too.