[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Could this be some good news for Turner owners?

tonyr0802

I for one hope this is accurate.

BuffaloBills.com beat writer Chris Brown is "hearing" that the Chargers are willing to part with Michael Turner for an early second-round pick.

It was believed earlier this offseason that Turner could only be had for a first-rounder, so it's possible GM A.J. Smith has lowered his asking price. The Texans, Browns, Bills, and Falcons could have interest.

Source: buffalobills.com

Turner

As we get closer to the draft and opportunities start drying up for FAs, we're going to see SD get more rational about trading Turner, just like I expect to see ATL be more rational trading Schaub. The teams start to realize there's a very real possibility that those guys will move on with no return to their current teams in UFA after the coming season, so they become more acceptive of taking one high draft pick for them rather than trying to extort teams bargaining against each other & running up the price like they have early on.

Everyone in the NFL knows the game being played here. It appears to be a seller's market because of the talent & experience of the guys available, when in fact it's a buyer's market due to the fall of the cliff of zero compensation if the teams do nothing with them this offseason.

Look for both guys to move somewhere one week before the draft to during the draft as GMs see how the draft shakes out as it progresses.

As we get closer to the draft and opportunities start drying up for FAs, we're going to see SD get more rational about trading Turner, just like I expect to see ATL be more rational trading Schaub. The teams start to realize there's a very real possibility that those guys will move on with no return to their current teams in UFA after the coming season, so they become more acceptive of taking one high draft pick for them rather than trying to extort teams bargaining against each other & running up the price like they have early on.

Everyone in the NFL knows the game being played here. It appears to be a seller's market because of the talent & experience of the guys available, when in fact it's a buyer's market due to the fall of the cliff of zero compensation if the teams do nothing with them this offseason.

Look for both guys to move somewhere one week before the draft to during the draft as GMs see how the draft shakes out as it progresses.

agreed, and i would expect to see turner go for about a second rounder and schaub go for about a third.

Getting some value for Turner is great but having him as insurance for the upcoming season IMO makes him worth keeping.The Chargers should win the Super Bowl next season.If they do a second round pick right now is not a big deal.If LT went down the Chargers would not miss a beat with Turner in there and possibly Sproles as a change of pace back.

If LT went down the Chargers would not miss a beat with Turner in there and possibly Sproles as a change of pace back.

No offense, but are you really saying Turner can completely replace the best RB by far in the NFL, who constitutes almost the entire SD offense (with Gates), with a little help from a guy few have ever heard of? :D

If LT went down the Chargers would not miss a beat with Turner in there and possibly Sproles as a change of pace back.

I remember tons of Seattle homers saying that about Maurice Morris if SA went down, and then it happened. No one says that anymore.

I agree completely here. Though Schaub would be a tougher loss it would definetely emphasize the notion that it's Vick's offense. I don't think Schaub is a very good QB and would be happy to see him go for a late 2nd/early 3rd.

I think that's a very good assessment of their NFL value for each guy.

Agreed Turner has demonstrated he is starting RB worthy, where I don't think Schaub can be a good QB even in a much better O-Line situation than is currently in ATL.

I agree completely here. Though Schaub would be a tougher loss it would definetely emphasize the notion that it's Vick's offense. I don't think Schaub is a very good QB and would be happy to see him go for a late 2nd/early 3rd.

Agreed Turner has demonstrated he is starting RB worthy, where I don't think Schaub can be a good QB even in a much better O-Line situation than is currently in ATL.

I think he has proven to be a good change of pace back. The only way you can prove you can be a full time starter is to actually, say carry a ball 25 times a game. Do that successfully for about a month and you will get a better idea.

The Chargers should "have won" the Super Bowl "last" season.

moving Turner now doesn't benefit us unless there's a quality RB we can get in the draft with what we get for Turner.

and as for the comparison of Turner as backup to LT with Morris as backup to Alexander....THERE IS NO COMPARISON. i had heard the talk about Morris's abilities long ago and there's no way he was going to effectively replace Alexander. Turner ain't LT but he's a bulldozer and would be a more than solid fill-in.

As BB pointed out, if they DON'T trade Turner, they'll have nothing to show for it next year.

It's the same reason the Bills got rid of McGahee -- he was NOT going to re-sign with them in '08, for any amount of money. They basically gave up one year of unhappy Willis for 3 cheaper and longer-lasting players.

The Chargers and Falcons would be silly not to follow suit.

I disagree, however, that a team would give up a 2nd-rounder for Turner. Nobody gave a 2nd-rounder for proven studs like Edge and Shaun Alexander when they were made available.

When you're talking about a pick AND a huge contract extension, a 3rd is as high as you're gonna get -- especially considering how few teams have needs at the position now. I can assure you Ted Thompson won't pay $5+ million a year for an unproven starter, much less give up a first-day pick along with it.

That leaves one team with a realistic possible interest -- Buffalo. Why would Buffalo offer more than a 3, when they know no other teams would offer more?

Turner will remain a Charger unless A.J. Smith accepts a 3rd-rounder.

agreed, and i would expect to see turner go for about a second rounder and schaub go for about a third.

Personally, I could see Schaub going for a second round draft choice. To somebody like ...hmmm.. the Texans would make a perfect fit. So we'll see. :D

Personally, I could see Schaub going for a second round draft choice. To somebody like ...hmmm.. the Texans would make a perfect fit. So we'll see. :D

A little late in the game for that prediction.

Two second round picks + a swap of first rounders.

Turner appears to be a "more than capable backup" for a player that appears to be the second coming of the guy in my avatar.

He is most likely most valuable to the Chargers. I'm not sure if any team could match that value. If the Chargers are in a 'win it now' mode then they keep Turner for the season, even if it means he walks when it's done. If LDT gets hurt and Turner fills in along the way to getting a ring, then that price (losing him with no compensation) is worth it for them, and I'm sure most Chargers fans would agree.

The stakes are high for the Chargers this season, perhaps as high for any team.

A little late in the game for that prediction.

Two second round picks + a swap of first rounders.

Yeah...that was pretty much a joke so nevermind. :D

No offense, but are you really saying Turner can completely replace the best RB by far in the NFL, who constitutes almost the entire SD offense (with Gates), with a little help from a guy few have ever heard of? :D

No,I am saying that offense IMO would not stall with him in there as the starter and using a third down back like Sproles would help in the event LT went down.

No,I am saying that offense IMO would not stall with him in there as the starter and using a third down back like Sproles would help in the event LT went down.

I dunno, while Turner has always showed well on fresh legs, it's worth remembering that a lot of backups do really well when they only have to carry less than 10 times a game and sometimes don't play at all. If LT went down early in the season, SD would be adversely affected more than virtually any other NFL team that lost it's #1 player, with the exceptions of KC and Indy, perhaps.