[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

A question of character.

skylive5

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're a stand-up guy, Sky.

Talking trash behind someone's back when they're not there to tell their side of the story is just chickensh!t gossip.

100% correct. No one likes a group of people who think they're better than everyone else, right? :D

I'd say the thing to keep in mind is whether it is simply venting: "this guys get on my nerves for _____" or a true question of character that is a borderline accusation of improper behavior: "this guy is a ______ because of _____." But at this place, unless you have met said person face to face you are coming up with that accusation with stuff that is most likely already public. And if that is the case and the subject is running around here publicly doing said things then it should be pretty clear why someone would comment on that, even in private.

Let's use the my obsession/miketice example. I keep NORRIS locked on occasion, but I know we've laughed in thread about a certain division II-A quarterback who was drafted in the mid first round who led his college team to a 17-15-1 record. That's common knowledge in public. Is laughing about it in a private forum nearly a year later unethical? Of course not, that Sega! was funny. He tripped over his feet publicly.

If someone is going to make a true, unsubstantiated accuation about someone here, I'd be fairly sure that someone even in this hypothetical private forum would call BS or ask for further proof.

I see what sky's getting at, but with this being a text based forum everyone experiences everyone relatively equally. Hence, any true, legitimate questions about someone are going to be based on a public posting for everyone else to look at and form their own opinions on......

Sky, What caused you to take this issue to a public forum instead of going directly to the person involved?

I'm not trying to call you out, but it seems like the same sort of issue you're wondering about. Why a vague public statement instead of a direct solution?

Sky, What caused you to take this issue to a public forum instead of going directly to the person involved?

I'm not trying to call you out, but it seems like the same sort of issue you're wondering about. Why a vague public statement instead of a direct solution?

:D

You know that Bushwacked guy is really really a friggin blank.

Edit to add: And gives lousy fantasy advice like the time he told me to pick up Brandon Jacobs. :D

Edited by SuperBalla

Wouldn't a PM... email... IM conversation between me and the persons of issue be a more honorable way of doing it? Or maybe not saying anything at all instead of using the protected fourm to character assassinate?

I tend to keep my own personal behavior consistent regardless of whether or not I am in the presence of the person that is the topic of conversation or not.

Translation: I have no problem talking behind your back and I have no problem talking to your face.

I think there may be a character issue if a person consistently presents one face to a person and then consistently turns around and "slams" that person in a private forum (presents another face).

I agree with Blitz. I have no problem saying any f'n thing on this board about anybody at anytime. Of course, DMD doesnt seem to like some of the things I say. :D And I would say the same thing privately if need be. Like Blitz said, I try to remain consistent. Thats the way I am in real life too. I have no problem speaking my mind to someones face if I have a problem.

The thing that I will typically do, is to defend those who are being bashed in private if I feel that the bashing is unjustified. But under NO Circumstances, will I go back and snitch to someone if I have overheard negative comments in private. I am much more likely to confront the gossips, than I am to go back and rat them out to the one they are denigrating. A snitch has no character to me. But thats just the way I feel about snitches. Gossips can be petty and boorish and stupid. Rats are pure evil.

Enough of the cryptic talk Sky. Who is it that you have a problem with? ld really like to know and I think we need to get this out in the open in the interest of all parties.

See, this is what watching american idol and BSG turn you into. brain dead chicks.

You guys need to go change a tire or kill an animal, get some man back in your panties.

:D I was just thinking the same thing. Who cares. How can someone's character be assasinated in a football forum? Seriously though...perhaps some people make this place more than what it should be. Friendships should be unbreakable...and if they are...you never were friends.

By the way... I jumped to the conclusion that Sky brought this up because of a real situation, where he was not actually the person doing the talking behind someone's back. I am not familiar with any real situation like this, and I may be way off in making my assumptions.

I don't think he's talking about me, or any real situation that I am aware of. Just want to make that clear, and I apologize if this really is a genuine hypothetical.

By the way... I jumped to the conclusion that Sky brought this up because of a real situation, where he was not actually the person doing the talking behind someone's back. I am not familiar with any real situation like this, and I may be way off in making my assumptions.

I don't think he's talking about me, or any real situation that I am aware of. Just want to make that clear, and I apologize if this really is a genuine hypothetical.

I thought you asked a valid question and/or raised a valid point.

:D I was just thinking the same thing. Who cares. How can someone's character be assasinated in a football forum? Seriously though...perhaps some people make this place more than what it should be. Friendships should be unbreakable...and if they are...you never were friends.

Stop making sense.....I want the old balla back..

Sometimes people make mistakes... it would be easy to do on an anonymous message board in a protected forum. The temptation to be able to bash someone behind their back without them being able to know about it might be pretty strong if you've got a very antagonistic relationship with someone here. That doesn't mean its ok... but I might bring the offending behavior up to the person and see if they are willing to correct their offense. Sometimes even people of otherwise strong character can screw up. Its how the react to being called out on it that really counts IMO.