[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Dynasty rookie draft in progress

Bronco Billy

Panama is the early favorite for yr 1.

QB

Bulger

RB

Addai

Portis

T Jones

M Lynch

W Dunn

Darius Walker

WR

J Walker

Tj Hous

T Glenn

TE

Gonzo

DL

A Brown

K Vanden Bosch

LB

Z Thomas

R Lewis

K Brooking

J Farrior

S Fujita

L Hill

Bruschi

Dbs

Flat out suck, but hell if you are this loaded at RB, and LB, you can get what you need for a playoff run down the road.

Edited by Sgt. Ryan

Fear and Loathing has a nice core

Brees

LJ

Parker

Plax

Fitz

Djax

Hackett

Heap

T Suggs

W Smith

Pierce

Scott

Hayes

Greenwood

Anderson

Ruud - though we have been waiting forever on him

A Wilson

S Jones

If this team stays healthy, look out.

BB, not a bad team. I like your LBs more than any in the league, including the team I listed above. But alot of question marks at RB, and DB. Though DB to me are a dime a dozen after the first 6 or 7.

I appreciate that Sarge, even though this wasn't intended to be a "Rate my team" post - just a thread to generate some basis of conversation with upcoming dynasty drafts.

I firmly believe that this league can be won without top RBs. We start 22 players, and of those 22 12 score significantly - 1 QB, combo of 7 RB/WR (starting no more than 3 RBs or 5 WRs and minimum 2 RBs and 3 WRs), and up to 4 LBs. 7 of the top 14 scorers last year were RBs, but then RB scoring drops off dramatically with the next 17 (minimum starters for the league) ranking from #23 to #146, with most of those below #75. Westbrook & McAllister are adequate starters, with Norwood backing them up and then bye week fillers with vets who have solid if not spectacular track records.

Meanwhile, starting QBs (top 12) are all in the top 40 scorers, and my team has definite strength there with McNabb (who scored better than Manning in ppg), Hasselbeck, & Schaub. Starting WRs don't score quite as well as RBs, but are close, and there are 21 WRs in the top 100 scorers - meaning over the width of scoring, WRs are better scorers than RBs are. I can start Steven Smith, Roy Williams, Lavernues Coles, Vincent Jackson, and Brandon Marshall every week. That's as good a WR corps as there is in the league as far as studs & depth, with the possible exception of Fear & Loathing's crew.

LBs score like WRs - just a hair below RBs - with 10 in the top 50 scorers and 25 in the top 100 scorers. That's where my real strength is, with a starting core of Bulluck, Urlacher, Witherspoon, and Crowell all starting every week and depth in Thornton & Simmons. I ought to have 4 LBs scoring in the top 20 LBs, and at least 2 of them ought to be top 10 or better.

DBs are all bunched together in scoring once you get past the top 3-5 guys, and the same thing with DL & TEs, and they don't score nearly as well. I'm solid & deep in those areas even if I don't have any special players at those positions.

Ks are not very high scorers and returners are nothing but an afterthought with the little that they score.

So that means that while my RBs will be solid but not great, I'll be making up points that I may give a bit with 2 starting RBs by scoring with a great QB, at worst the second best group of 5 WRs, and the best 4 LBs in the league. That's a good trade off for not having superb RBs and will have me scoring very well weekly.

It's a classic example of knowing your league's scoring system/starting requirements & using it to your advantage while other owners are using conventional wisdom. The idea is to score the most points every week, and my team ought to be a collective candidate to do that.

At least I hope it is... :D

Edited by Bronco Billy

Now up to 3.07

I'm ecstatic to get who I think is the 3rd best QB in this draft in the middle of the 3rd round.

:D

I can't believe Kolb was picked almost a full round ahead of Stanton.

Just like dynasty drafts add uncertainty when they draft immediately after the NFL draft & no owners know how players will pan out regardless of which team they land with, this just adds another element of uncertainty & also adds to desirable trading when players do get selected in the NFL draft.

It's hardly counterintuitive - just different from what you're used to. It does require more homework.

Dynasty-Keeper leaque thought:

It's funny that most leagues DON'T draft prior. I find what Billy touched on here as in the real spirit of fantasy football. The homework is the real thing that pionts to your pick. To have your pick land where you project is sweet.

Adds a little mystery. Wonder if anyone has a rookie draft during the real rookie draft. :D

We always have our rookie draft before the NFL draft. It seems 99.9% of leagues don't. I think you're missing out on something otherwise.

Yeah, I know, why pick a player if you don't know where he's gonna play? But lets say your pick doesn't work out right away, well, taxi him for the following year or 2 (if allowed) and see what develops. This really seems to parallel the real game nicely.

Jason Hill as the 10th WR taken is a steal.

yep my thoughts exactly...I would have thought Hill would have been drafted before Jacoby Jones....Jones I think is more of a sleeper in the later rounds...but hey the team that got Hill will have an exciting year with him.... :D

Hey BB - what's the makeup of this league? People new to IDP or some rooks? It seems like offensive players are valued a lot higher than some quality defensive guys.

Edit to add: And I'm not asking that sarcastically, I'm just surprised at the flow of this draft.

Edited by Fatman

Hey BB - what's the makeup of this league? People new to IDP or some rooks? It seems like offensive players are valued a lot higher than some quality defensive guys.

Edit to add: And I'm not asking that sarcastically, I'm just surprised at the flow of this draft.

I don't know how new they are to IDP - though I know at least 1 of them has been in 11 starter IDP with weighting of D players enough to give them solid comparable value for a few years. I've noticed the hugh emphasis on O players also. The flow of the draft has suprised me quite a bit.