[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Imus update

polksalet

for the record, imus was not contrite immediately after the incident. he was quick to say that everyone should just shut up about this because that is what he does. only after this thing blew up did he turn into mr. apologetic because it finally dawned on him that he f'ed up big.

and all the talk about the girl's letting some old dj ruin their moment is bunk as well. the dj only played one of the parts in the grand saga. the main role was played by our restless, bored, and overstaffed media that has nothing else to do but grab onto whatever seems scandalous and push it as hard as they possibly can. all those 24 hour news stations have to talk about something ... those girls could not avoid this and shrug it off if they wanted to. plus, they are younger and don't have the experience behind them to realize just how meaningless imus is in the grand scheme of things.

finally, i heard more contraversial things about the imus ranch than positive. the kids are only there a small part of the year and when they are there, he has them baling hay and milking cows. for all the other time of the year, he's relaxing there in the spacious digs. does anyone have any solid data on this joint?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well said.

I'm so sick of this society that is unable to accept a sincere apology. The only thing that matters anymore is revenge. Heaven forbid the basketball players even get caught in a moment of personal weakness and say something they wish they could take back.

He's an adult public figure who should know to watch what he says.

So what if the apology was accepted by everyone? He has the opportunity to do it again.

Will Jessie Jackson apologize for Hymie town and "Im sick of hearing about the holocaust " comments now ? How can you fire Jackson and Sharpton when you dont really know where their money comes from ? Sharpton has been fortified with this. We are not far from comedians having people listen to their every words and being caught in a chitstorm after every off color joke. I guess Chris Rock better watch himself now :D

for the record, imus was not contrite immediately after the incident. he was quick to say that everyone should just shut up about this because that is what he does. only after this thing blew up did he turn into mr. apologetic because it finally dawned on him that he f'ed up big.

and all the talk about the girl's letting some old dj ruin their moment is bunk as well. the dj only played one of the parts in the grand saga. the main role was played by our restless, bored, and overstaffed media that has nothing else to do but grab onto whatever seems scandalous and push it as hard as they possibly can. all those 24 hour news stations have to talk about something ... those girls could not avoid this and shrug it off if they wanted to. plus, they are younger and don't have the experience behind them to realize just how meaningless imus is in the grand scheme of things.

finally, i heard more contraversial things about the imus ranch than positive. the kids are only there a small part of the year and when they are there, he has them baling hay and milking cows. for all the other time of the year, he's relaxing there in the spacious digs. does anyone have any solid data on this joint?

They had parents of the kids who went to the ranch on the show today... ironically, the annual radiothon for raisng $ for the Ranch, Tomorrow's Childrens Funs and SIDS. The philosphy behind the ranch is different than most "similar" operations, Like Paul Newman's camp in upstate NY, where it's a sort of retreat for kids to just swim, play games and have fun. The kids that go to the ranch are usually in recovery, and the idea is to make them believe they can actually be cowboys and cowboys... doing all of the things a real one would do. That is not a place for a kid that is very ill. The idea is to give them confidence in themselves, and to learn they can lead normal lives, accomplishing whatever they set their minds to.

As far as the Ranch goes, it's been investigated by the IRS, a special investigator hired for the feds and one of the top accounting firms. His books are open to the public... in that regard, it's clean. From what I gather, he spends about 5 months out of the year there which includes the 3 months the kids are there. He personally teaches the kids to rope and ride, eats with them talks to all the parents on a daily basis.

A lot of the negative PR is due to Stern's constant bashing of the ranch operation, but the parents pretty much universally speak very highly of it. What has drawn critisism is that it costs about 15 grand per kid for 2 weeks.... far more than Newman's camp cost. Imus puts about 250 grand of his own money into it annually, and that is seperate from say, the vet bill for the horse he personally owns, he pays those costs out of pocket as well. The funny thing is, if Imus just wanted a ranch of his own, he had more than enough money to buy one for less than what he's dumped into this ranch for kids. It's a clean charity, what is up for debate IMO is whether the 15 grand per kid would be better spent on an operation like Newman's.

I've seen Newman's camp.... I stayed at a cabin on the same small lake once. At least the screaming and yelling stopped after dinner time! So, yeah, I've looked into the Imus Ranch some... some Googling brings up a lot of info. And yes, I've also contributed to it as well. I wanted to be sure it wasn't the private ranch Stern keeps calling it, which it isn't. Basically, when Imus is at the ranch, he's up at 3am to do his show, and up until 10 or 11 at night doing stuff with the kids for most of the day, and into the evening with campfire sorts of activities.

Not to the point but this much is true in Whitlock's article:

"a washed-up shock jock who is very easy to ignore"

It amazes me that his show continued to get the ratings, but I guess if you know a bunch of high profile people and have them on your show, it doesn't matter how bad the shock jock comedy part of the show is.

He had many good people on and had a chance to be a political commentator but didn't.

You know most celebritities are fair game but going after kids did him in.

You know, maybe it's putting too fine a point on it...but did any of you even hear the original comment in its context? He was talking about these fine upstanding young women from Rutgers and basically how thuggish they appeared as compared to some other team...North Carolina maybe? The Rutgers girls are covered in tattoos, etc. He said they looked like nappy headed hos compared to the other girls.

Is it a rotten thing to say, sure. Did he say those girls from Rutgers ARE nappy headed hos? Not so much. Did any of you watch any of the tournament? I actually thought those girls were sporting a rather thuggish look myself, though I wouldn't have turned quite the phrase that Imus did.

So, you're happy that Imus is off the air because he's white? I certainly hope not, becuase that would be an incredibly racist (and stupid) comment.

How did you get to the conclusion that I'm "happy Imus is off the air because he's white"? :D

How did you get to the conclusion that I'm "happy Imus is off the air because he's white"? :tup:

By reading your posts:

One more angry white guy off the air. No big loss. :D

What does the color of his skin have to do with this? :D

Everything.

You seem to make a lot of the fact that you're happy that "another white guy" is off the air. Why is that?

Edited by Bill Swerski

I was answering the question independent of the previous comment. Imus' skin color is the only reason this affair has blown up. That's all I meant by 'everything'.

That, and "Kill Whitey!"

I see.

So perhaps you'd like to explain why you're happy that another white guy is off the air?

So, again, what does the color of his skin have to do with it? Or are you trying to dodge the fact that your remarks are just as racist as Imus'?

If I had capitalized the letters so it was more like a title would that have been more acceptable to you?

You can get get Don Imus' POV on issues from virtully everywhere. Be it local newspaper columnists, syndicated columnists, on air personalities, co-workers, the tailgate, dads, brother-in-laws, etc.. Because the Angry White Guy is the most vocal media "personality" that exists in the United States.

No big loss, as there are dozens more like him out there for me to hear.

You can't equate my generalization of a 66 year old talk show host with a national television and radio audience to what said talk show host implied about a group of female college students. However, if you feel you must, then do so.

Edited by godtomsatan

If I had capitalized the letters so it was more like a title would that have been more acceptable to you?

You can get get Don Imus' POV on issues from virtully everywhere. Be it local newspaper columnists, syndicated columnists, on air personalities, co-workers, the tailgate, dads, brother-in-laws, etc.. Because the Angry White Guy is the most vocal media "personality" that exists in the United States.

No big loss, as there are dozens more like him out there for me to hear.

You can't equate my generalization of a 66 year old talk show host with a national television and radio audience to what said talk show host implied about a group of female college students. However, if you feel you must, then do so.

If you don't like "Angry White Guys", you might want to focus on attacking the content of their speech, rather than using a derogatory label that highlights the color of their skin.

If you don't like "Angry White Guys", you might want to focus on attacking the content of their speech, rather than using a derogatory label that highlights the color of their skin.

Whatever, honky.