[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Hankk question

TimC

We have a very laid back work environment...jeans, collar shirt and tennis shoes are acceptable. I wear khakis most days though. Anyways, the SO was going through some old pictures and found one of me at my old bank job where a suit was always the norm...even Friday's. I remarked that it'd be neat to wear a tie once in awhile to work.

What's the protocal on wearing a tie when no one else does? Note: This is an office professional environment.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The good news is that the tie might deflect some of the attention away from your face.

:D

I think wearing a suit and tie a couple times a week is professional and, depending on your suit, stylish. People will look at your differently. The downside is that your boss may think you're interviewing.

We have a very laid back work environment...jeans, collar shirt and tennis shoes are acceptable. I wear khakis most days though. Anyways, the SO was going through some old pictures and found one of me at my old bank job where a suit was always the norm...even Friday's. I remarked that it'd be neat to wear a tie once in awhile to work.

What's the protocal on wearing a tie when no one else does? Note: This is an office professional environment.

I must disagree with you a bit. If the people in the office are wearing jeans and tennis shoes, it is not a "professional" environment.

My thought is, if you want to wear a tie, wear a tie. If that makes you the best dressed person in the office, all the better. Generally, I do not favor wearing a tie unless I am also wearing a suit or sport coat.

If you let me know your occupation, I'd be glad to throw in my :D

Generally, I do not favor wearing a tie unless I am also wearing a suit or sport coat.

+1

Sport coat and no tie much cooler than tie and no sport coat. In fact, the only situation that I can think of where a tie sans sports coat doesn't look sort of lame is on a waiter, but perhaps then the bistro apron frames the look.

Edited by detlef

:D Commercial lending

Well then, I think that the basic rules for office casual should apply:

1) No khakis or jeans

2) No polo or "golf" shirts

3) No shoes that you can't shine

4) And for godssakes, no short sleeve shirts.

If you'd like to wear a tie (and I applaud the idea) and you don't want to wear a suit, a quality sport coat with trousers is the way to go. I'll bet that if you start dressing this way regularly, then others in your office will follow suit. Keep at it awhile, and you'll never consider wearing jeans and athletic shoes to the office again.

I'll bet that if you start dressing this way regularly, then others in your office will follow suit. Keep at it awhile, and you'll never consider wearing jeans and athletic shoes to the office again.

In other words... don't do it.

:DCommercial lending

Well then, I think that the basic rules for office casual should apply:

1) No khakis or jeans

2) No polo or "golf" shirts

3) No shoes that you can't shine

4) And for godssakes, no short sleeve shirts.

If you'd like to wear a tie (and I applaud the idea) and you don't want to wear a suit, a quality sport coat with trousers is the way to go. I'll bet that if you start dressing this way regularly, then others in your office will follow suit. Keep at it awhile, and you'll never consider wearing jeans and athletic shoes to the office again.

:D Huh? I work in the real estate industry (and work with plenty of lenders) and can say with the utmost confidence that khaki slacks, polo and golf shirts are more than acceptable.

With the exception of the occasional black tie party, there are only three occasions that require a tie, and they are usually in a church, Sunday morning worship service, weddings, and funerals. The rest of the time you can get by with a mock turtle neck and a sports coat.

Spoken like a true college prof. Champions of the classic short sleeve shirt/knit tie combo. All you need is the 1986 monkey-crap-brown Tercel wagon to complete the look.

:D

Complete with stacks of old books and wadded-up sweaters in the back seat.