[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Hankk question

TimC

Hmm, then you must have quite a bit of difficulty in your life. I distinguish myself by way of my work product, not by how much "better" I dress than everyone else.

But if your quality of work is the same as the next guys and you look nicer, then that may distinguish you.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep--I think that people who dress as though they think their appearance really matters are more than likely shallow-minded pricks.

As always, you take it to far - people who ONLY care about their appearance are indeed shallow-minded pricks.

People who realize that a veneer of style dressing up substance creates a more favorable impression than those who think substance absent style will do merely live in the real world.

As always, you take it to far - people who ONLY care about their appearance are indeed shallow-minded pricks.

Hankk was talking about the first 30-second impression that we make upon other people. My first impression about people who appear as though they care significantly more about their appearance than normal people do is that they are all style and no substance. This first impression could easily be wrong, but it would be my first impression.

Hankk was talking about the first 30-second impression that we make upon other people. My first impression about people who appear as though they care significantly more about their appearance than normal people do is that they are all style and no substance. This first impression could easily be wrong, but it would be my first impression.

First impressions are notoriously difficult to overcome, especially in a casual, shallow relationship - such as the ones you encounter when doing a quick meet, smile, and handshake in a sales situation.

People who realize that a veneer of style dressing up substance creates a more favorable impression than those who think substance absent style will do merely live in the real world.

True

But if your quality of work is the same as the next guys and you look nicer, then that may distinguish you.

Perhaps. But will most guys in the real estate development and/or construction industry be able to tell the difference between an Armani suit and one bought from Mens Wearhouse? :D

Perhaps. But will most guys in the real estate development and/or construction industry be able to tell the difference between an Armani suit and one bought from Mens Wearhouse? :D

Well that's a different question altogether. Probably not, but they can tell the difference between a Men's Wearhouse suit and a pair of Haggar's combined with a St. John's Bay faux polo shirt. :D

Well that's a different question altogether. Probably not, but they can tell the difference between a Men's Wearhouse suit and a pair of Haggar's combined with a St. John's Bay faux polo shirt. :D

Ding! Ding! This is the difference that is being talked about. Ouija and Darin have conveniently run with it to the extend that it is being advocated that one always dress like they walked off an Armani photo shoot and all that is being advocated is that you pick up your game a bit. Yes ouija, if you meet somebody who looks completely tricked out in situations that don't seem to warrant it, you might have to question the guy's priorities.

Yes darin, walking a home-site in a new development in $300 Italian loafers may not be all that slick. Of course, there are a ton of men's shoes now that are a nice hybrid that sort of look like dress shoes on top but have thicker, rubber souls. Now that I spend as much time in the dining room greeting customers as I do behind the line, that's what I wear and they hold up fine. I also wear these touring construction sites as I look at new locations.

Of course, a lot of this doesn't matter because the OP was asking about attire in an office setting. Not someone who's job requires them to walk around in the mud.

Simple fact, however, is that it isn't those in your industry that you are dressing for but rather the customer.

This absolutely makes sense.

Not that I consider any of the following people to be "customers", but

1) On exam days, I often wear blue jeans as I think my very casual appearance will help my students to relax a little bit.

2) When I have to meet with businesspersons, I wear suits.

3) When I go to economics conferences, I wear what the other economists expect people to wear (which ranges from sports-jackets with ties, to general business casual clothing.

4) And on normal days, I wear whatever the hell I want to wear, because I don't have to impress anybody. (Although I do at least make sure that my clothes are reasonably presentable.)

It is fairly amusing that all of the marketing profs dress up in suits all of the time and the economists don't. (Which I largely attribute to the style versus substance paradigm.)

It is fairly amusing that all of the marketing profs dress up in suits all of the time and the economists don't. (Which I largely attribute to the style versus substance paradigm.)

It bemuses me that you disparage your colleagues because they dress professionally.

No, I'm not disparaging my colleagues, per se, I am disparaging the discipline of marketing. :tup:

Wach out next time you're in St. Louis, I'll run you over in my SUV with my suit and expensive watch. :D

Edit: Or maybe just my golf cart since you're so little. :D

Edited by twiley

Wach out next time you're in St. Louis, I'll run you over in my SUV with my suit and expensive watch. :D

Edit: Or maybe just my golf cart since you're so little. :D

You'll never hit me (as the shine from your bling will alert me to your presence in plenty of time for me to hop in my Tercel and motor away).

Hey, don't shoot the messager.

Whether you like it or not, or whether you believe it important or not, your appearance is what defines you to the world.

In the first 30 seconds of an encounter, people judge you mostly upon your appearance. They assess your education, your career, your financial success, your personality based upon your appearance. There's something called the "halo effect." A person who has a favorable impression of you with respect to one trait is more likely to look at your other traits more favorably. If you look successful, people will think of you as being successful.

Even after people know you, appearance and body language play a hugh role in how others judge you.

Looking good gets you noticed. Looking good gets you business. People who look good make more money than people who don't. People that look good get the benefit of the doubt. That first 30 seconds can make all of the difference. Things can only get better for you if you dress better.

Pooh-pooh it all you want, but this has all been proven. Dress however you want, but don't try to kid yourself by saying that it doesn't matter or dismiss it as some high school phenomenon. Dismiss it as superficial instead of realizing that it is human nature.

Just whatever you do, don't clip that cell phone to your belt.

Proven fact.

I was taught in my time in the real estate industry that you dont want to outdress your market. If you are selling multi-million dollar homes it is fine to wear a suit and tie. If you are showing a rental condo to someone who might not be so well off and you show up in that same suit you might drive away your custome by making them think youll be showing them things they cant afford.

Couple of related questions Hankk. I work in as an executive recruiter for an education company. I meet with potential employees regularly. I was recently in contention for a promotion and was passed on for someone that, IMO, dressed more professionally. Its not that I dress shabby, I have a nice watch, wear a nice oxford usually with some form of kakhi or dark slacks depending on the shirt. More of a "going partying" look than a "work look". I am about to be consolidated into another office where I will be working with a new set of employees and feel it is a good time to upgrade my image. I just dont know where to start... With the whole jacket thing: 1) Where would you suggest I go to get fitted for a couple of nice work "suits" for lets say $700ish? 2) I like the jacket without the tie look so do I even need to get matching pants or just the jackets? 3) Obviously I need more than one jacket, how many would be a good starter rotation? I'm thinking like 3. 4) I live in S. Florida and am not a fan of sweating so wool is out of the question. What sort of material would I be looking for? Synthetic? Silk?

Just starting to put my career on the top of my priorities, bit of a 30 year crisis I supopose. TIA if you have the time to give me some pointers.

Couple of related questions Hankk. I work in as an executive recruiter for an education company. I meet with potential employees regularly. I was recently in contention for a promotion and was passed on for someone that, IMO, dressed more professionally. Its not that I dress shabby, I have a nice watch, wear a nice oxford usually with some form of kakhi or dark slacks depending on the shirt. More of a "going partying" look than a "work look". I am about to be consolidated into another office where I will be working with a new set of employees and feel it is a good time to upgrade my image. I just dont know where to start... With the whole jacket thing: 1) Where would you suggest I go to get fitted for a couple of nice work "suits" for lets say $700ish? 2) I like the jacket without the tie look so do I even need to get matching pants or just the jackets? 3) Obviously I need more than one jacket, how many would be a good starter rotation? I'm thinking like 3. 4) I live in S. Florida and am not a fan of sweating so wool is out of the question. What sort of material would I be looking for? Synthetic? Silk?

Just starting to put my career on the top of my priorities, bit of a 30 year crisis I supopose. TIA if you have the time to give me some pointers.

I'm kinda jammed up at the moment. I will get to this, probably later this afternoon.

If I may, no disrespect to Hankk, he's just a little busy:

1) Where would you suggest I go to get fitted for a couple of nice work "suits" for lets say $700ish?

Go to a high end store like a Niemann Marcus or Nordstroms or Bloomingdales. The people in the Men's department know their sh*t in places like this. I've been working with the same woman for years. She knows exactly what I like, and knows exactly what looks good, and puts it all together for me. I can call her and tell her I need a new suit and I'll stop by an hour later and she'll have suits laid out, shirts, matching ties, the whole 9 yards. And, if you can hit the Men's sale, where they discount new items to see what's popular, you can get some great deals.

2) I like the jacket without the tie look so do I even need to get matching pants or just the jackets?

Pants and jackets should always match. The no-tie look will come across as significantly more casual, so just make sure that's what you're looking for.

3) Obviously I need more than one jacket, how many would be a good starter rotation? I'm thinking like 3.

Well, if you go with my suggestion of getting matching pants, or suits per se', you may need more, because you'll have to keep in mind that these items, especially the pants, need to get dry cleaned regularly. If you plan on wearing the suits every day of the week, you'll probably want 5 to start, and may have to add in the near future, depending on your budget.

4) I live in S. Florida and am not a fan of sweating so wool is out of the question. What sort of material would I be looking for? Synthetic? Silk?

Tough call, as I live in the Northeast, but if you take me up on suggestion #1, they'll be able to guide you in the right direction. And please make sure you wear white t-shirts under any dress shirts you plan on wearing. And make sure the shoes match the belt. And make sure the shoes are shined on a regular basis. There's nothing worse than dressing nice, and f*cking up the whole look with either cr*ppy shoes, or ones that have been shined in a while.

Good luck. I hope Hankk agrees with some of my suggestions. :D

Edited by Hugh 0ne