[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Hankk question

TimC

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

DemonKnight, one more thing, based on your MH pic, dressing up nice won't help, your face will f*ck up the entire look. Don't waste your money. Ignore everything I wrote. TIA.

:D

Thanx fer the advice. My boss does the jacket/no tie thing so I think thats the direction I will go. Neimans/Nordstrom are a little pricey I think for my startup set I think. There are both in the Galeria by me and I head straight to the clearance racks. I couldnt imagine what they would charge for a suit... Any experience with a place like Mens Warehouse or something comprable?

:D

Thanx fer the advice. My boss does the jacket/no tie thing so I think thats the direction I will go. Neimans/Nordstrom are a little pricey I think for my startup set I think. There are both in the Galeria by me and I head straight to the clearance racks. I couldnt imagine what they would charge for a suit... Any experience with a place like Mens Warehouse or something comprable?

You'll get a nice suit at Nordstroms for $500. Not an Armani, but quality stuff.

In the first 30 seconds of an encounter, people judge you mostly upon your appearance. They assess your education, your career, your financial success, your personality based upon your appearance. There's something called the "halo effect." A person who has a favorable impression of you with respect to one trait is more likely to look at your other traits more favorably. If you look successful, people will think of you as being successful.

Even after people know you, appearance and body language play a hugh role in how others judge you.

Looking good gets you noticed. Looking good gets you business. People who look good make more money than people who don't. People that look good get the benefit of the doubt. That first 30 seconds can make all of the difference. Things can only get better for you if you dress better.

Just whatever you do, don't clip that cell phone to your belt.

What if you look like a dork but dress sharply?

edit to add: wear pink shirts, etc...

Edited by Men In Tights

I m not sure about your area, but I have a men's clothing store that I frequent (get everything at), I have three sport coats, 5 pair of good slacks (dry clean only) and 4 suits. I do get dress shirts as Penny's or Herberger's when they are on sale for $20. You are typically where a jacket and as long as they are pressed and clean who gives a Sega!. I do have three french cuff shirts that are high priced jobs that I wear for weddings, special occassions. The store I use, is a local non-mall store that takes the time to tailor jackets and pants to me. They keep these measurements written down, and reference them when buying new stuff. A good store will not charge you extra for tailoring. Do a little looking/asking around in your area. There may be a diamond in the rough of a store that will get you exactly what you need.

BTW there is nothing better than a great pair of fitted slacks.

Any experience with a place like Mens Warehouse or something comprable?

Yeah, the Mens Warehouse is solid. Not high fashion, but you can get respectable suit for $300 and nice suits for $500. But the quality is there. ETA: their sale prices are worth waiting for, FYI.

Edited by yo mama

Couple of related questions Hankk. I work in as an executive recruiter for an education company. I meet with potential employees regularly. I was recently in contention for a promotion and was passed on for someone that, IMO, dressed more professionally. Its not that I dress shabby, I have a nice watch, wear a nice oxford usually with some form of kakhi or dark slacks depending on the shirt. More of a "going partying" look than a "work look". I am about to be consolidated into another office where I will be working with a new set of employees and feel it is a good time to upgrade my image. I just dont know where to start... With the whole jacket thing: 1) Where would you suggest I go to get fitted for a couple of nice work "suits" for lets say $700ish? 2) I like the jacket without the tie look so do I even need to get matching pants or just the jackets? 3) Obviously I need more than one jacket, how many would be a good starter rotation? I'm thinking like 3. 4) I live in S. Florida and am not a fan of sweating so wool is out of the question. What sort of material would I be looking for? Synthetic? Silk?

Just starting to put my career on the top of my priorities, bit of a 30 year crisis I supopose. TIA if you have the time to give me some pointers.

I agree with with much of what Hugh One said.

1) Do you know someone who dresses well? If so, ask him where he buys his tailored clothing. If not, and you don't know much about clothes, I'd go to a well-known store that should have knowledgeable people on staff. I like Nordstrom's. You should be able to get a nice suit there for $700. The key is to find someone who can help you with coordination. You also want a good tailor. Nordstroms (or the like) should help you with these. Once you develop your own eye, you can start looking at smaller shops if you like.

2) If you buy a coat and pants that match, you've bought a suit. If that's not whant you want, a basic rule is that the color of your pants should contrast with the color of your jacket. All rules can be broken, but you should know what you're doing before you give it a go.

3) Sport coats are very versatile. Every man should own at least 2. Navy is a must. You have a bit of latitude with the color of the second. I like a lighter gray. If you are planning to wear them quite a bit at work, I'd buy at least 3 or 4. You can get a bit creative, maybe throwing in a houndstooth or another pattern.

4) No synthetics or silks. I like wool. Try on a tropical wool or worsted wool suit. If you think that they are too heavy, try cotton. Poplin and seersucker suits are very lightweight. I like linen suits, but not for work.

Good luck. :D