[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Einstein, Bees, and the end of civilization

wiegie

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Late last week, some bee-keepers claimed that the phenomenon - which started in the US, then spread to continental Europe - was beginning to hit Britain as well.Also, radiation given off by cell phones/towers would not "spread" across a region, let alone an ocean.

Britain has had cell phone towers as well for some time, so it's odd that it would take a while to get over there. It sounds more like a parasite to me.

Edited by Bill Swerski

From an associate of mine, an amateur beekeeper:

"As for CCD I am only a rank amateur but most of the beekeepers I have been talking to seem relatively unconcerned and don't think it is much different from anything that has been happening in the past. Bees are exceedingly fragile little creatures and it doesn't take much to bring a hive down - any of a dozen diseases, pesticices and just bad management. Most big apiaries are management by neglect - not many inspections and not much attention to the status of a single hive. When a problem hits one it will swiftly hit the others. That is why they like the idiot amateurs like me - always fussing with the hive and peering at it!"

and this is why my Mom's business does so well. Large apiaries restock nearly every year since a single inseminated queen can produce a hive very quickly. They would rather rely on the queen producers to breed out any problems than try to fight it themselves. So far the breeders have had pretty good success fighting most ailments & have had more recent success breeding trachea mite resistant bees. I'm pretty confident that once the source of the problem is found then they will have little problems remedying it. I haven't asked them about the CCD specifically, but do I know if it was a real concern they would have said something about it.

Albert Einstein once said, "If the bee disappeared off the surface of the globe then man would only have four years of life left. No more bees, no more pollination, no more plants, no more animals, no more man."

Now, go google "Colony Collapse Disorder".

For extra credit, go read Cormac McCarthy's book The Road.

Sleep well.

Bold faced liar.

http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?p=127316

LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR :D

I believe those mites are also in Asia but the bee populations over there have learned over the course of their evolution to deal with them by vibrating madly and other bees come and get the mite off. The bees here in the US haven't had to deal with this threat so haven't evolved a mechanism to deal with it.

And it is absurd to assume that within four years scientists, etc. would come up with an answer to something that is a danger to our race. We'd debate it for decades before deciding something was wrong.

:D

yes--he is informationally literate

Never mind, wiegie, I'm sure Einstein would have said it if he'd thought of it but it's hard work creating a theory of relativity so he never really had the time. :D

Edited by Ursa Majoris

• 2 weeks later...

For extra credit, go read Cormac McCarthy's book The Road.

was at a friend's over the weekend and was checking out her bookshelves (she's a teacher and an incredibly avid reader) and saw this on the shelf. remembering this thread, i borrowed the book and read it this week.

this is the saddest book i've ever read in my life. :D

strange how a book can read so beautiful but yet be so tragic at the same time. i was on edge the entire time and had a hard time putting it down because the writing and the imagery was so good. cried at the end.

that is all.

• 4 months later...

Update (from a newsletter I get):

The mystery of colony collapse disorder may have been partially solved. It appears to be an imported virus from Austrailia called Israeli Acute Paralysis Virus. The Australian gov't is objecting to the link but the disorder appears to coincide with the lifting of a ban on importing bees from Australia in 2004. The virus is present in Australia but hasn't had the devestating impact it has had on the US population. Most analysts contend that the virus is combining with other stressors that haven't weakened the bee's immune system -- such as the varroa mite and the widespread use of chemical herbicides and pesticides.

The reason that bees are disappearing from the coasts is God is punishing the liberals that live there. We still have plenty of bees here. I get stung at least once a year. Coincidently I took my wife lunch today and one of her students had just gotten stung. Breaking the law I pulled out the can of snuff in my pocket, put a pinch in a Dixie cup with some water swirled it around, and then strained it with a paper towel, and made a compress for the poor little angel, and it stopped hurting her almost immediately.

The reason that bees are disappearing from the coasts is God is punishing the liberals that live there. We still have plenty of bees here. I get stung at least once a year. Coincidently I took my wife lunch today and one of her students had just gotten stung. Breaking the law I pulled out the can of snuff in my pocket, put a pinch in a Dixie cup with some water swirled it around, and then strained it with a paper towel, and made a compress for the poor little angel, and it stopped hurting her almost immediately.

I thought Texas has "killer bees"? :D

That's a cool trick I never heard of. When I was a kid, we used to put mud on stings, to draw the stinger out, but never heard of tobacco. Any idea how/why it works?.

That's a cool trick I never heard of. When I was a kid, we used to put mud on stings, to draw the stinger out, but never heard of tobacco. Any idea how/why it works?.

No idea, and had it been my wife, my kids, or my self, I'd have just pulled the pinch I already had in my mouth out and put in on the sting. It works almost immediately.

Another cool trick with snuff - rather than buying expensive heart worm medicine for your dogs, just sprinkle one teaspoon of snuff over their food once a month, and they won't get hear worms.

I found the answer on the net. The venom in the sting is acidic, and tobacco is basic, so neutralizes it.

Yeah, I saw that, but then, wouldn't any basic solution or poultice work, if that were the case?.

This article was kind of cool. The concoction of baking soda/meat tenderizer/vinegar makes sense to me because of the papain.

I always wanted to use Papain in a sentence, ever since the Simpson's episode where Homer owns the Bronco's. "Popeye... papain"

Update (from a newsletter I get):

The mystery of colony collapse disorder may have been partially solved. It appears to be an imported virus from Austrailia called Israeli Acute Paralysis Virus. The Australian gov't is objecting to the link but the disorder appears to coincide with the lifting of a ban on importing bees from Australia in 2004. The virus is present in Australia but hasn't had the devestating impact it has had on the US population. Most analysts contend that the virus is combining with other stressors that haven't weakened the bee's immune system -- such as the varroa mite and the widespread use of chemical herbicides and pesticides.

good work GW