[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Einstein, Bees, and the end of civilization

wiegie

Yeah, I saw that, but then, wouldn't any basic solution or poultice work, if that were the case?.

This article was kind of cool. The concoction of baking soda/meat tenderizer/vinegar makes sense to me because of the papain.

I always wanted to use Papain in a sentence, ever since the Simpson's episode where Homer owns the Bronco's. "Popeye... papain"

I got my answer from a scientist ( I wasn't the one asking the question) Link

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got my answer from a scientist ( I wasn't the one asking the question) Link

Yeah, I saw that link, too. I am just thinking there must be something else in the tobacco that made it a useful home remedy, besides just being a base. Otherwise, any basic solution would work, ya know?

• 3 years later...

A friend gave me two hives last spring to keep for him here at my farm. The colonies did great all summer, no problems. In September I noticed less and less activity for about a week so I went and opened them up. Every single bee was gone. Not a single living bee in either hive. They were just gone.

The reason that bees are disappearing from the coasts is God is punishing the liberals that live there. We still have plenty of bees here. I get stung at least once a year. Coincidently I took my wife lunch today and one of her students had just gotten stung. Breaking the law I pulled out the can of snuff in my pocket, put a pinch in a Dixie cup with some water swirled it around, and then strained it with a paper towel, and made a compress for the poor little angel, and it stopped hurting her almost immediately.

I just tell my boy to "rub some dirt in it". All better!

• 3 months later...

From the December issue of the Missouri Farm Bureau monthly magazine "Show Me":

Bee Mystery Solved

According to research released in October by a group of military scientists and university entomologists, the complicated reason for the widespread collapse of bee colonies in the U.S. was a fungus teaming up with a virus.

Researchers still are not sure how the lethal combination works, but the fungus and virus work together to attack the bee's ability to absorb nutrition.

One factor complicating the diagnosis was the fact that affected bees did not simply return to the hive and die. Once infected, they would fly away from the hive and die alone. Jerry Bromenshenk of the University of Montana, led a team that included scientists from Montana State University and the U.S. Army's Edgewood chemical Biological Center near Baltimore. They found the virus-fungus combo in every killed colony the group studied. Neither agent alone seemed able to devastate a hive.

Edited by The Holy Roller

From the December issue of the Missouri Farm Bureau monthly magazine "Show Me":

[bBee Mystery Solved][/b]

According to research released in October by a group of military scientists and university entomologists, the complicated reason for the widespread collapse of bee colonies in the U.S. was a fungus teaming up with a virus.

Researchers still are not sure how the lethal combination works, but the fungus and virus work together to attack the bee's ability to absorb nutrition.

One factor complicating the diagnosis was the fact that affected bees did not simply return to the hive and die. Once infected, they would fly away from the hive and die alone. Jerry Bromenshenk of the University of Montana, led a team that included scientists from Montana State University and the U.S. Army's Edgewood chemical Biological Center near Baltimore. They found the virus-fungus combo in every killed colony the group studied. Neither agent alone seemed able to devastate a hive.

great, can they figure out a way to prevent this from getting any worse?....