[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

virginia tech shooting

dmarc117

They interviewed the guy that sold him the gun and he provided three forms of ID and was placed in a background check by state police as was mandated. It was all clear so he was sold the gun. Amazingly, background checks only have a chance to catch someone the second time they try to buy a gun legally.

No doubt this tragedy will be used to serve the agendas of people, but it was likely unpreventable. I cannot believe how the media has been ripping apart the VT security and police.

The media need someone to point at and it is never the perp themselves. They are behaving as they normally behave.

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the link I posted earlier.

The murder rates of the U.S. and U.K. are also affected by differences in the way each counts homicides. The FBI asks police to list every homicide as murder, even if the case isn't subsequently prosecuted or proceeds on a lesser charge, making the U.S. numbers as high as possible. By contrast, the English police "massage down" the homicide statistics, tracking each case through the courts and removing it if it is reduced to a lesser charge or determined to be an accident or self-defense, making the English numbers as low as possible.

I don't know how true that is, but I've heard it before.

From the link I posted earlier.

I don't know how true that is, but I've heard it before.

I've read that article before. It's from 2002. The author must be very disappointed in the trend from 1050 to 765 murders in just three years, coincidentally all of them post-2002. Also, the bottom of the chart specifies it includes murder, manslaughter and infanticide, so where the author gets the piece about jiggering the figures from, I don't know.

Robbery trending down too.

And burglary

Violence in general is up though.

The one that's still going up?

Don't know what you are referring to but this is tendentious BS:

By contrast, the English police "massage down" the homicide statistics, tracking each case through the courts and removing it if it is reduced to a lesser charge or determined to be an accident or self-defense, making the English numbers as low as possible.

What country in the world counts accidents and self-defense as murder? :D

now im not for banning hand guns but ak's and there ilk... but no sportsman, politician will do that as the NRA will drag them and hang them, they just recently did it to and prominent outdoors man.... pharking NRA is a bunch of girly men

now im not for banning hand guns but ak's and there ilk... but no sportsman, politician will do that as the NRA will drag them and hang them, they just recently did it to and prominent outdoors man.... pharking NRA is a bunch of girly men

The NRA is to 2nd Amendment rights what Sharpton and Jackson are to civil rights.

Edited by yo mama

The media need someone to point at and it is never the perp themselves. They are behaving as they normally behave.

I agree. I also think it is not just the media but many many people. sometimes in life things happen that noone can explain or stop..and when that happens many peoples defense mechanism is to point the finger somewhere.

IMO this kid was gonna find a tragic way to be remembered somehow.and the sad truth is we all are contributing that happening. but how can you not? the next messed up person who does something like this is watching all this on TV and seeing the boy getting all the attention he wanted from this. watching this will only contribute. but what do ya do? people at the same time want to be informed.

watching this will only contribute. but what do ya do? people at the same time want to be informed.

Informed about what? 33 dead at Va Tech, gunman killed himself.

That's all the relevant news; the rest is just newspapers, anchors, and news directors jerking off in the face of a tragedy.

I understand and respect your view on this despite mine being pretty much the opposite of you.

But IMO the reality with guns is if you ban guns you create a underground. then you got people everywhere with unregistered guns. you CANNOT stop people from owning them so you do your best to control them.

That's exactly my question. I'm sure there is some difference in the way different countries count crimes, but who knows what they are?

Not really sure where yer going with this, but arguing the US doesnt lead the industrial world in gun deaths by a hugh hugh margin is a fool's errand.

Informed about what? 33 dead at Va Tech, gunman killed himself.

That's all the relevant news; the rest is just newspapers, anchors, and news directors jerking off in the face of a tragedy.

Oh I could not agree more. I may be the most anti media person you talk to. you can see the joy on their faces about having a big story to talk about. but at the same time by watching you may learn something that helps you spot someone in the future ready to freak out in some way. I mean that probably won't happen. but the fact that there is a chance is for me reason enough to pay attention. especially having a son myself and wanting to keep him informed and ready for the future.

That being said we can never get the right kind of story from any of these big media outlets.they overdo every story and drag them out as long as people will watch. they use news to back their(or their bosses) views and spin them that way so no matter what side of the aisle you are on you cannot get a unbiased point of view.

< shakes head >

Gun control only keeps guns out of the hands of law abiding citizens. Criminals will always have access to guns regardless of the number of ineffective gun control laws are enacted.

yep! this guy wouldve killed one way or another.

Again, I'm just saying the "people kill people" line just doesn't wash. Maybe there isn't a solution, but the fact of the matter is guns make it MUCH easier to kill people. Click-boom. I wish I cleaning my house was that simple.

well, some weapons are deadlier than others. guns are usually deadlier than knives. some guns are deadlier than other guns (like the little handguns this guy had). a truck full of fertilizer is deadlier than any gun. an airliner filled with fuel is deadlier than a truck filled with fertilizer.

what turns all of those things from harmless objects into deadly objects is human intent, which is why the "people kill people" line is essentially correct.

well, some weapons are deadlier than others. guns are usually deadlier than knives. some guns are deadlier than other guns (like the little handguns this guy had). a truck full of fertilizer is deadlier than any gun. an airliner filled with fuel is deadlier than a truck filled with fertilizer.

what turns all of those things from harmless objects into deadly objects is human intent, which is why the "people kill people" line is essentially correct.

If you have your mind set on killing a bunch of people I expect you can find a way. From driving a car into a crowd of people to home made bombs.

A gun may be inert but its sole purpose is to put a big hole in something. I'd hardly call that "harmless".

Obviously there are NUMEROUS objects that can be used as a tool to commit murder; guns are pretty clearly one of the most efficient tools, and are fairly easy to acquire for a large amount of people. Heck, I think more people are shot ACCIDENTALLY than on purpose.

So, sure, people kill people; I'm just pointing out that I haven't really heard of too many drive-by knifings these days. Or some kid accidentally strangling his friend while they were playing jumprope.

When you have a boatload of guns out in society, people get shot by them.

Edited by Chavez

A gun may be inert but its sole purpose is to put a big hole in something. I'd hardly call that "harmless".

Obviously there are NUMEROUS objects that can be used as a tool to commit murder; guns are pretty clearly one of the most efficient tools, and are fairly easy to acquire for a large amount of people. Heck, I think more people are shot ACCIDENTALLY than on purpose.

So, sure, people kill people; I'm just pointing out that I haven't really heard of too many drive-by knifings these days. Or some kid accidentally strangling his friend while they were playing jumprope.

When you have a boatload of guns out in society, people get shot by them.

How many people are killed by accident each year in cars? Are we talking about banning cars too?

I'd be willing to bet that the shooter was already violating more than several existing gun control laws.

So what good did the existence of those gun control laws do?

Maybe, but that doesn't mean we should make things any easier for a shooter.

Just because the best mouse trap currently available won't catch 100% of mice, does that mean you shouldn't set it? Of course not. The sane approach is to use that mouse trap until you can build a better one; not let the mice run wild.

Edited by yo mama