[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

virginia tech shooting

dmarc117

What if everyone (subject to background checks like now) could have guns but only for home defense?

I'd say that's not enough - for me anyway. People are attacked in public and I believe they should have the right and full ability to defend themselves.

Handguns, I meant. :D

I was just trying to put a different spin on things. I've been mulling over getting a handgun just for home defense.

I'm fully in favor. :doh:BTW - lots of us like to hunt with handguns too.

I'm away on business sometimes and my wife arms herself with a razor sharp knife and a baseball bat. I was thinking it might be better to just get a small gun. I'd have to teach her how to use the thing but I've spent half a lifetime around all manner of firearms.

My wife sleeps with a .45 when I'm gone. I make sure to call ahead if I'm coming hom early. :tup:

Not to sidetrack here, but does anyone actually fear a "home invasion"?

Sure - happens all the time. Crash and bash robberies are becoming more and more common here with meth use on the rise. People break through a door or window, assault the homeowners and steal whatever they can. A few home owners have been killed by these tweakers.

No, he's been here since (I think) 1992, so he would be 8 or so when he got here. Not so much an American parenting issue as a parenting issue in general perhaps, though I have seen multiple times where a pair of parents have been what would be described as excellent, yet their kid has still gone bad.

One story I did read today said his parents both work in a dry cleaning businesss. Maybe nobody was home long enough to realize how messed up this kid was? :D

Edited by Jimmy Neutron

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is really your argument? Auschwitz? The Colonial Wars some 100-250 years ago?

You need to seek help...immediately.

:DMy point is that despite numerous hints in this thread, you don't seem to understand or remotely acknowledge the dangers of disarming a society. History offers valuable lessons - if you let it.

I'm totally fine with the fact that you don't like guns. My problems is that you seem to want to take mine away. You're much more likely to be killed in an auto accident - drunk driver or otherwise than killed by a gun.

So, does that many anybody on Prozac or Paxil cannot own a gun? I imagine that a significant percentage of our society would fall into that category.

I'm not sure what happens if you check the "I'm crazy" box. I would hope that it would merely lead into a more meaningful inquiry into whether the individual's history of mental disorder, when combined with a gun, would be an unreasonably dangerous combo (like severe schitzophrenia). Perhaps one of our resident gun experts can drop some knowledge.

Edited by yo mama

Getting rid of your circular reasoning and canned arguments would be a good start. As you'll recall, what I suggested was for fair minded gun owners to come to the table, meet society half way, and work towards solutions. I get this crazy feeling that what ever I tell you, you're just going to respond by saying why it won't fix the whole problem (assuming you even agree that there is a problem that needs fixing). Yes, I do have ideas. No, I don't think they would fix the whole problem. But my point is that people like you and I should be sitting down and working together to make balanced progress. Most gun proponents aren't willing to, though. However, I'll give you benefit of the doubt...

For example, what would you say to a proposal that required people to go through the equivilent of "drivers training" class before they could purchase a gun? A substantive program involving safety, gun law education, target practice, and all things "gun." Responsible, state licensed instructors are involved who "certify" you within a class of weapon before you can buy a gun within that class (though, folks need to be able to inherit them without any trouble). You think this Cho guy would have passed? Would *you* have passed him if you were the instructer? Now, here's the real challenge for you: before dismissing my idea, tell me what you think it would take to make that kind of a class work. Assume for our purposes, the Supreme Court has already ruled that such classes do not conflict with the 2nd Amendement. In fact, assume they've ruled that passing such a class makes you a member of a "well-regulated militia."

If you can't bring yourself to meet me half way in this example, fine. Then *you* propose a solution and I'll try to build off it constructively.

I'm sure you think this exercise is silly. But I'll bet my house and home there are 33 families out there right now wishing there had been people like you and me brave enough to set down the preconceived notions and dare to be a little silly in an effort to make it harder for a deranged lunatic like Cho - who wasn't even a US citizen - to get ahold of a gun legally, without really getting in the way of "good" gun owner's ability to obtain and own guns.

I understand where you're coming from, but like I mentioned earlier in the thread - I simply don't trust the government. For example, in many "shall issue" states, law enforcement agencies are free to issue or deny CCW permits on their whimsy. Terms are subjective and open to the political swayings of the sherrif in office. Class 3 (allows full auto weapons) licenses are also difficult to get (even for people with completely clean records) in some localities, despite laws that are written to keep the loonies' hands off these weapons. The fact of the matter is that there are numerous laws on the books designed to "ensure the right to keep and bear arms" that are both cost and de facto prohibitive. That makes guys like me a little wary of instituting additional requirements for buying a gun of any type.

Sadly, I think it's guys like me that a lot of folks are afraid of. I have lots of guns - scary looking guns. :D I shoot, a lot - somewhere north of seven figures sent down range. Still, I've never shot anyone or at anyone. However, I probably should be tried and convicted for killing lots of paper. :D

We've discussed the definition of "well-regulated" in past threads, so I won't dredge that up again.

I'm not sure what happens if you check the "I'm crazy" box. I would hope that it would merely lead into a more meaningful inquiry into whether the individual's history of mental disorder, when combined with a gun, would be an unreasonably dangerous combo (like severe schitzophrenia). Perhaps one of our resident gun experts can drop some knowledge.

From what I read today, if Cho had visited that mental institution involuntarily, it would have shown up on the background check and prevented the sale. :D I guess if you know you're crazy, it's still OK to buy a gun.

So, does that many anybody on Prozac or Paxil cannot own a gun? I imagine that a significant percentage of our society would fall into that category.

That is a problem - where should the line be drawn? What if there was a mental episode 20 years ago but all has been well since? What if mental disease runs in the family? What if you have a mental disease, but are taking meds and effectively managing it? What mental disorders should prevent a person from owning a gun?

That is a problem - where should the line be drawn? What if there was a mental episode 20 years ago but all has been well since? What if mental disease runs in the family? What if you have a mental disease, but are taking meds and effectively managing it? What mental disorders should prevent a person from owning a gun?

I would hope that the government agency that carries out the background check would have enough sense to differentiate between somebody with severe schizophrenia and a history of violence and somebody on Prozac who feels a little overwhelmed every now and then. Then again, this is the government we're talking about.

I'm all for people owning a hunting rifle or a low-caliber handgun for protection. But I want the applicants to be screened rigorously and to have to jump through a few hoops to get them. However, if somebody like this Cho nutcase can get his hands on SEVERAL guns, maybe it'd be better for the government to outsource the job to the private sector. :D

Edited by Bill Swerski

NBC is now reporting that Cho sent a "multimedia manifesto" to NBC News with pictures, videos and writing. It appears that it was send between the first and second shootings.

For some reason I was shocked when I heard this. This guy was very very disturbed. I still have no idea how any human being could do what he had done. It is still shocking.

This guy was very very disturbed. I still have no idea how any human being could do what he had done. It is still shocking.

I'm wondering if we will ever find out why he shot that one woman at the dorm and chose that other building to go on his shooting rampage.

This guy was one messed up s.o.b. :D:D:tup:

Edited by Wolverines Fan

I think he shot that woman because I believe her room was close to the end of the hall. He could do it and leave quickly. He had planned this all out for a week and all he had to do was to cause a scene in the dorm that would attract every available campus cop to it and then it would buy him a little time on the other side of campus two hours later when he started his massacre. He already had chains and locks for the doors, he knew exactly what he was doing. I think his killing of that one woman was a diversion - I have not heard anything that he knew her. She had just returned from spending the weekend with her boyfriend.

I think he shot that woman because I believe her room was close to the end of the hall. He could do it and leave quickly. He had planned this all out for a week and all he had to do was to cause a scene in the dorm that would attract every available campus cop to it and then it would buy him a little time on the other side of campus two hours later when he started his massacre. He already had chains and locks for the doors, he knew exactly what he was doing. I think his killing of that one woman was a diversion - I have not heard anything that he knew her. She had just returned from spending the weekend with her boyfriend.

that makes more sense than anything I have heard

I kind of wish NBC and the other Networks would stop showing his ugly face with his guns on the tube.

This is exactly what he wanted and the media drinks that koolaid to no end and for what, ratings, rating, ratings. Me, me, me.

I kind of wish NBC and the other Networks would stop showing his ugly face with his guns on the tube.

This is exactly what he wanted and the media drinks that koolaid to no end and for what, ratings, rating, ratings. Me, me, me.

+1*10^100

Edited by MojoMan

+1

....and it gets other sickos out there thinking about how they might want to do the same thing. :D