[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

virginia tech shooting

dmarc117

Group Plans To Picket Va. Tech Funerals

Anti-Gay Religious Group Known For Protesting At Services For U.S. Soldiers Killed In Iraq

April 18, 2007

(CBS) By CBSNews.com's David Miller.

The families of those killed in the Virginia Tech massacre may not be able to grieve in peace at the funerals of those they lost. An anti-gay religious group known for protesting at the funerals of American soldiers killed in Iraq is planning on appearing at services for those killed on Monday as well.

The Topeka, Kan.-based Westboro Baptist Church (WBC), which is not affiliated with any national Baptist organization, announced plans to protest at victims’ funerals only hours after 32 people were killed in the worst mass shooting in U.S. history. They also may protest at other events on the Virginia Tech campus.

The organization, founded and led by Fred Phelps, believes the United States has condemned itself to destruction by accepting homosexuality and other “sins of the flesh.” Phelps’ daughter, Shirley Phelps-Roper, said the Virginia Tech teachers and students who died on Monday brought their fate upon themselves by not being true Christians. ...

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/04/18/...in2699800.shtml

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anti-Gay Religious Group Known For Protesting At Services For U.S. Soldiers Killed In Iraq

April 18, 2007

The families of those killed in the Virginia Tech massacre may not be able to grieve in peace at the funerals of those they lost. An anti-gay religious group known for protesting at the funerals of American soldiers killed in Iraq is planning on appearing at services for those killed on Monday as well.

The Topeka, Kan.-based Westboro Baptist Church (WBC), which is not affiliated with any national Baptist organization, announced plans to protest at victims’ funerals only hours after 32 people were killed in the worst mass shooting in U.S. history. They also may protest at other events on the Virginia Tech campus.

The organization, founded and led by Fred Phelps, believes the United States has condemned itself to destruction by accepting homosexuality and other “sins of the flesh.” Phelps’ daughter, Shirley Phelps-Roper, said the Virginia Tech teachers and students who died on Monday brought their fate upon themselves by not being true Christians. ...

I wish that somebody would kick the crap out of these pseudo-Christian idiots.

I wish that somebody would kick the crap out of these pseudo-Christian idiots.

You ever been to the backwoods of Virginny? They just might. They just might. :D

Don't mess with those good ole boys.

I wish that somebody would kick the crap out of these pseudo-facist idiots(masked as Christians).

Just what Jesus would want them to do. :D

I say tax them. These groups should not get tax breaks when they behave this way.

Just what Jesus would want them to do. :D

I wasn't talking about what Jesus would want.

I say tax them. These groups should not get tax breaks when they behave this way.

Nah, they could refuse to pay and fight it in court for years. A good old-fashioned ass-kicking would work much better.

Edited by Bill Swerski

April 18, 2007

“The evidence is they were not Christian. God does not do that to his servants,” Phelps-Roper said. “You don’t need to look any further for evidence those people are in hell.”

so if they get pumped full of lead while 'protesting'....are they not christian and going to hell?? :D

Just more c*cksuckers looking for media attention and getting it.

Oh no. They wouldn't do something like that... they're good Christians and live a pure and Godly life. They have no skeletons in their closet and are perfect in every way.

Don't backpedal after your attempt to dumb this down to a simplistic scapegoat of blaming parenting which you are directly trying to a political philosophy.

A stable family environment is key for healthy human development but there is for a multitude of reasons for the breakdown of that, also. Some people are just plain sick in the head, despite their upbringing.

Damn BW ; when your right your right. Guilty as charged :D

When I do the math I still get family dysfunction as a large part of the problem .

That being said , You may have a valid point; Some people may just be plain evil regardless of their upbringing.

Kids are always an emotional topic for me.

Oh no. They wouldn't do something like that... they're good Christians and live a pure and Godly life. They have no skeletons in their closet and are perfect in every way.

dont lump them in with regular christians, catholics, etc.. these are extremests. you might as well compare them to the radical muslim terrorists due to the fact that they take everything so literally and try to spin it their way. the only difference is that they fight with words, trying to hurt the mind of people that disagree with them rather than physically.

i know this is a bit "out there", but i really wish that Hell's Angels or some group show up to fend off these sick SUPERCALIFRAGILISTICEXPIALIDOCIOUS !!!s. i know they do this stuff at military funerals and such. if not that sort of reach, a group like this would be good as well. http://www.patriotguard.org/

http://www.arktimes.com/blogs/arkansasblog...test_in_be.aspx

Edited by jjpro11

dont lump them in with regular christians, catholics, etc.. these are extremests. you might as well compare them to the radical muslim terrorists due to the fact that they take everything so literally and try to spin it their way. the only difference is that they fight with words, trying to hurt the mind of people that disagree with them rather than physically.

i know this is a bit "out there", but i really wish that Hell's Angels or some group show up to fend off these sick SUPERCALIFRAGILISTICEXPIALIDOCIOUS !!!s. i know they do this stuff at military funerals and such. if not that sort of reach, a group like this would be good as well. http://www.patriotguard.org/

http://www.arktimes.com/blogs/arkansasblog...test_in_be.aspx

in my opinion, if some other group showed up to start something with fred phelps' loonies, all that would result is even more media coverage, not to mention the chance for these idiots to proclaim victimhood and maybe get even more recruits. that's what they want.

in my opinion, if some other group showed up to start something with fred phelps' loonies, all that would result is even more media coverage, not to mention the chance for these idiots to proclaim victimhood and maybe get even more recruits. that's what they want.

if i was a family member i wouldnt mind it. i would take some media coverage and people standing up for me and my family over having to hear those fools beside me shouting about how my son, daughter, friend, etc got what they deserved. there should be laws to prohibit these kinds of things happening at funerals and memorials all together. maybe there are, i just dont know how they could be allowed there. its sickening.

if i was a family member i wouldnt mind it. i would take some media coverage and people standing up for me and my family over having to hear those fools beside me shouting about how my son, daughter, friend, etc got what they deserved. there should be laws to prohibit these kinds of things happening at funerals and memorials all together. maybe there are, i just dont know how they could be allowed there. its sickening.

don't get me wrong -- i think these folks should rot in hell. all i'm saying is that their goal is to provoke people into making their "protests" newsworthy. because the more times they show up at these funerals without incident, the less provocative the protests become, and the last thing they want is people to stop paying attention to them.

“The evidence is they were not Christian. God does not do that to his servants,” Phelps-Roper said.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow, this guy doesn't read the Bible much I guess. Specifically, all the stuff about what happened to most of the OT prophets and NT disciples. Hmmm......

Didn't those freaks also protest the funerals of the victims of the Amish school shooting?

Truly a bunch of attention and media wh0res. Part of me wonders if they even believe half the crap they spew.

Interestingly, the entire congregation of over 100 is one family. Wanna bet some of the relationships within said family would be questionable at best?

+100000000000000000000

At some point somebody has to stand up to these people. I know if they showed up at a funeral of somebody I loved somebody would end up in the hospital & I would end up in jail. There's no damn way I could just stand there and let them do that.