[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

virginia tech shooting

dmarc117

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm speaking of the general downfall in society. Latch-key kids grow up without any direction when they are home alone for hours on end. They will naturally lose their own way without the guidance provided by a parent. It doesn't mean a spree killing, but I firmly believe these children are hurt way more than they are helped by both parent's working simply to provide Little Jimmy with anything he wants, the new minivan and 2 extra spare bedrooms.

I wasn't talking about your comments Tim, and not having children myself, I'm not sure I'm able to comment.

Although, since you bring it up, I think that you're probably making a real broad generalization, not only about the degree to which parents who work leave their kids "alone", but also as to why both parents work in the first place. :D

I don't think so. I firmly believe the downfall of society is directly related to both parents working in order to have their new car, their big house, meet their career goals, etc, etc at the sacrifice of the children.

School alienation / bullying

Day care / parents working

TV violence

Video game violence

General culture coarsening

Instant gratification

No time for the kids

No fault culture

I think all of these can be mitigated by good parenting. I am around lots of kids and lead many kid's organizations and what I typically see from the bad behaving kids is that the parents don't put forth the effort to hold the kids accountable. They simple do whatever is easiest to pacify their kid for that moment so that they are not inconvenienced. I've seen it this way for single parents, stay at home parents, and dual income parents. This is not meant to be an all inclusive statement, but it has been a regular observation of mine.

I don't think so. I firmly believe the downfall of society is directly related to both parents working in order to have their new car, their big house, meet their career goals, etc, etc at the sacrifice of the children.

i agree with the red neck

keeping up with the joneses def responsible for this. once you have kids, life changes. your priorities should change as well. many people dont adjust and the kids suffer. these kids then make us suffer in the future. many of the problems can be dealt with by good parenting, bottom line. granted there are always a few bad apples that cant be saved. its amazing how many stupid, unqualified parents are out there.

It all started with the break down of the family unit. We no longer have a solid family at home with Mom dedicated taking care of the home and raising the children.

Even in today's homes where there are two parents the children are very often an after thought. Parents are more concerned about making money and advancing their careers and having kids seemed like the right thing to do as part of that plan. Parents don't want to be bothered with raising their children, it is easier to pawn them off to a day care and let them raise them. Discipline is a thing of the past, again, because it is too hard.

Because of the lack of structure, rules, discipline you now have kids having kids and things just get worse.

In America today it is all about doing what feels good for you, everybody else be damned. Today's child is becoming much less accountable for his actions until the actions are so severe as to warrant police intervention.

Its only going to get worse.

Edited by Grits and Shins

I think all of these can be mitigated by good parenting. I am around lots of kids and lead many kid's organizations and what I typically see from the bad behaving kids is that the parents don't put forth the effort to hold the kids accountable. They simple do whatever is easiest to pacify their kid for that moment so that they are not inconvenienced. I've seen it this way for single parents, stay at home parents, and dual income parents. This is not meant to be an all inclusive statement, but it has been a regular observation of mine.

Good info here. My little list was intended for discussion - I completely agree that good parenting cures pretty much everything.

i agree with that 2

my SBE with 3 1/2 inch turkey loads aint bad ether :D

You're way tougher than I am, lol. 3 inch is all I care to handle anymore. (And yesterday was a perfect turkey day. Lots of action and gobblin' but no luck yet.)

You're way tougher than I am, lol. 3 inch is all I care to handle anymore. (And yesterday was a perfect turkey day. Lots of action and gobblin' but no luck yet.)

my wife shoots 3 1/2's from my mossberg, girly man.

I would accept your premise if it had ANYTHING to do with the situation that happened yesterday.

I have no idea what drove this kid to do this. I am making assumptions that there was a degree of systematic abuse heaped on him by someone in his life beginning at a young age. Again, what you are saying in the above is true, but I bet it has nothing to do with this situation, nor is it reflective of the vast majority of intentions of families where both parents work.

We (collectively) are going to be heaping blame and excuses for this. It's inevitable that we will look for an explanation for things that are extremely random events that we have difficulty understanding on any kind of level.

This is bu||sh!t. There are millions upon millions of examples of kids who don't go on spree killings that had two working parents growing up.

You dumbass. This is one of those "sub-conversations" that sprung up from my comment:

What's the difference in the student-teacher and/or parent-child dynamic that is responsible for this?

which came from Keg's progressive observation:

consequences, unfortunately it seems like todays youth has no clue what they are

school fighting seems to just keep manifesting as time goes by...

there used to be fist fights

then there were gang fist fights

then the knife was something that you had to be scared of in a fight

now you have to be scared if you look at someone cross for fear that they will shoot you without even thinking about it

Nobody was trying to directly correlate this individual instance with chocolate chip cookies. :D

Back on subject...Our local radio host here in Richmond was arguing to provide professors and such with gun training and let them keep guns in their desk. I kid you not. It'd be like an arms race. :D

Back on subject...Our local radio host here in Richmond was arguing to provide professors and such with gun training and let them keep guns in their desk. I kid you not. It'd be like an arms race. :D

My reaction to that is exactly the same as the "guns in the cockpit" idea - hell, no.

this thing is quickly downgrading to very simplistic gun control debates across many talk radio shows. one side wants to ban all guns and the other wants to arm more good people with guns to be ready for when chit like this goes down. then it breaks down into a liberal/conservative thing about guns and the shows spin their wheels on this for a few days.

i want to know what motivated this kid and brought him to the place where he could do such a horrible thing. maybe the root cause of his anger may shine some light on something systemic that we all could use to learn from, but i suspect that this kid is the result of the unique combination of his personal upbringing, his dna, the circumstances leading up to yesterday, and a reaction that may or may not have been repeated if the situation played out multiple times. it's not a very sexy discussion, so it won't be had, and it probably would not do any good anyway. we can't set up our laws, processes, and rule systems based on eliminating the possibility that someone may snap like this - it is just not practical.

it is just a sad, unfortunate, crazy situation ...