[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bye bye basement

Hugh 0ne

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man that's rough, hope everthing works out. I can remember as a kid we had a basement in Michigan. We used to get some water during heavy rains but never anything like that. At least you saved your belongings, repairs are easy to do but replacing personal items is impossible.

Wow...it is a river. :D

I was gonna say get a landscaper in and slope the land better before I saw the pics. Here in Richmond, we have that kind of flooding and it's the cities job to provide proper drainage. They had issues last year because the draining was improper and clogged and the city had basically ignored the problem. Last year, a huge storm came and flooded out the whole area. The residents sued the city for not providing the proper drainage. I can't believe they'd build houses in that type of flood plain without the required drainage.

I'm suing someone, just not sure who yet. :D Skins, you busy?

We have a French (that's probably why it gave in) Drain in the back, that I put in last year because we'd occasionally get standing water back there. That's solved the problem completely. Until Sunday. But my entire neighborhood was under water, up to 6 feet. It was just an issue of overwhelming volume. The water had no place to go.

Well, I admit I don't know the rules, regulations and code on this at all. Maybe it's the 100 year flood. Maybe this was okay and legal to build houses with basements and no drainage when the neighborhood was built and their hands are tied. :D

However, it is the city's job to maintain any storm drains...or install them. I'm just saying...neighborhoods in Richmond are fighting this same thing right now because we've had more than our share of heavy rains in the past decade.

Nothing but the best of luck! If there is anything you need to help, holla. I have a small pump standing ready back when my new foundation was flooding everytime we had dew.

Well, that's my story. At least everyone is OK. I just want to start getting everything finished, so my boys can have their play room back. I want to dry it and gut it so there is no mold issue, and rebuild it because we really need the living space. My 2 year old will drive us nuts and go stir crazy if he's limited to the upstairs. :D

It hopefully isn't as bad as you think. You should be able to salvage a good portion of everything. Cut off the bottom foot or two of the drywall and remove the wet insulation. If water has been wicked up higher the cut more out. Dry out the wood real good and then replace the drywall and insulation. A friend had almost the exact same thing happen (house was built basically on a natural spring it seems) and the sump failed one night. Dried everything out good and there hasn't been any issues.

Wow, That sucks.

And Civil Engineers that do drainage (ie not me) are supposed to account for 100 year floods. A problem is that historical data is used and extrapolated and they are far from accurate.

Edited by Big John

hugh, FYI... i think your problem with photobucket is you're clicking the photo then pasting what's in the address bar, which only works as a link if you're logged in. the correct link to use is the one in the http field under the thumbnails.

Thanks. :D

Test.

Work?

Wow H1 sorry to hear (and see) this. Are you in Jersey? Last year I started having some water in the basement problems. This spring I brought in a bunch of bricks and about 1000 lbs of top soil. I raised the soil line on the side of the house about one foot, and sloped it into the yard. Before this storm, I went out and laid plastic sheets around the house wieghed down with bricks. That saved me from flooding for sure. I didn't have near as much standing water on the property though. 6" maybe. I'm on LI, so we have pretty good natural drainage.

Anyone that needs a pump in their basement should get the seperate flood insurance. Good luck with the cleanup. :D

Noah would be floating past his house and his basement would still be dry.

Amazing in the face of such a problem you can maintain a great sense of humor. That's a great line. :D:D

Good luck with the cleanup and the insurance people.

Amazing in the face of such a problem you can maintain a great sense of humor. That's a great line. :D:D

Not much else you can do. My basement flooded this winter when we had the ice storm. Lost a bunch of stuff, luckily the best stuff was high on shelves and was spared, but the cleanup was not a fun job.

Fortunately though my basement was not finished. I guess procrastination does pay off sometimes.

I send my best wishes for a relatively mold free recovery Hugh.

Amazing in the face of such a problem you can maintain a great sense of humor. That's a great line. :D:tup:

Good luck with the cleanup and the insurance people.

At least someone actually read what I wrote. :doh:

Thanks to all for all for the info, advice, stories, and well wishes. It's much appreciated.

The frustrating thing now is waiting for the insurance company. If it were up to me, I'd have the entire basement gutted and drying so I can start rebuilding as soon as possible, but I can't touch anything until these jackasses come by and tell me that they won't pay me a f*cking dime because of some clause in the policy. :D

Edited by Hugh 0ne

At least someone actually read what I wrote. :tup:

Thanks for all for the info, advice, stories, and well wishes. It's much appreciated.

The frustrating thing now is waiting for the insurance company. If it were up to me, I'd have the entire basement gutted and drying so I can start rebuilding as soon as possible, but I can't touch anything until these jackasses come by and tell me that they won't pay me a f*cking dime because of some clause in the policy. :D

Unfortunately, that's pretty much what I would expect as well. :D

Fo sho. Unless there's flood insurance specifically, no way the insurance folks are paying out.

Bastards.

I have flood insurance, but there are limitations and clauses there as well. I'll probably know within the next couple of days. You pay tons in insurance every year, and God forbid you actually need it, they'll find a way to weasel out of paying. We're with State Farm, which is a pretty reputable insurance Agency as far as insurance agencies go, but I'm not holding my breath. :D

I have flood insurance, but there are limitations and clauses there as well. I'll probably know within the next couple of days. You pay tons in insurance every year, and God forbid you actually need it, they'll find a way to weasel out of paying. We're with State Farm, which is a pretty reputable insurance Agency as far as insurance agencies go, but I'm not holding my breath. :D

How can there be clauses and blah blah? It's a f'n flood - what else could it be? :D

You know they'll jack your rates but they surely have to fork over. You even have pictures of the new river in your yard.

How can there be clauses and blah blah? It's a f'n flood - what else could it be? :D

You know they'll jack your rates but they surely have to fork over. You even have pictures of the new river in your yard.

Things I've heard, read about, etc: You have to have a certain amount of water in your basement before flood insurance will cover anything. I'm not sure 6 inches will qualify. Additionally, I read that the reason we may have flooded is because the water company "upstream" from us opened the flood gates. Flood insurance covers "acts of God", not sure that will qualify. Again, I don't know anything concrete, but am quite aware that I may be totally f*cked. I have all my insurances with the same company: cars, motorcycle, house, everything, but I don't know if that will give me some additional leverage. I should know shortly, and I'll certainly let you guys know.

Things I've heard, read about, etc: You have to have a certain amount of water in your basement before flood insurance will cover anything. I'm not sure 6 inches will qualify. Additionally, I read that the reason we may have flooded is because the water company "upstream" from us opened the flood gates. Flood insurance covers "acts of God", not sure that will qualify. Again, I don't know anything concrete, but am quite aware that I may be totally f*cked. I have all my insurances with the same company: cars, motorcycle, house, everything, but I don't know if that will give me some additional leverage. I should know shortly, and I'll certainly let you guys know.

Well, good luck anyway. If they say it's not a flood because there wasn't enough water, I'd ask them to specify what it really was - should at least be interesting to see them weasel their way around that definition.