[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bye bye basement

Hugh 0ne

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry Hugh that sucks.

We've been flooded twice in my old house (River went over whole house destroyed) so we moved onto a mountain and last fall we got major run off from the yard above us in our basement. Water is hard to avoid when it rains non stop for hours.

Sorry to hear that H1.

Next phase, try to dry that beast out and keep mold from taking over. Good luck.

I just spent the past weekend cleaning up after a very small water drip under our kitchen sink that went unchecked too long. It was my fault it wasn't corrected as soon as I found out about it, but it was less then what you might find on a sweaty pipe so I didn't worry too much about it.

2 large kitchen cabinets with new caucuses built, a 3.5x10 foot section of drywall, and now knowing how much I hate taping drywall is enough for me. I can't imagine what an entire basement would do.

Hugh One, how much water got into the basement? You said you had 8 inches in 4 hours with 4' spots in the back yard, but not what was in the basement. Was it a total write off or can you just trim the bottom foot or two off the drywall and replace just that?

I told you that no good deed goes unpunished. But you wouldn't listen. ........

Do you even think about flood insurance where you are? Sure hope you don't have to foot the bill on the repairs. :D

Geeze.... if it isn't one thing.....it's another. Bummer all the way. Hang tough guy.

Those bastards are sneaking about not paying when the time comes.
I generally would agree, but flood damage is usually spelled out fairly clearly. In a hurricane there is wiggle room in deciding what is flood damage and what is storm damage. But if a basement floods, there is 4 feet of water on the ground outside, and the rest of the structure is sound, it's pretty obvious it's flood damage. If people don't understand that just regular homeowners insurance does NOT cover flood damage, then I would blame the homeowner and/or the insurance agent. I know with my insurance I receive yearly notices of the things my insurance does not cover just so I'm aware.

OK, an update for anyone who's interested:

It started raining Sunday morning early, around 3 am. We knew it was coming, but as long as we have power, and the sump pump runs, we've never had any issues. I even went out and bought a nice generator last year because the basement was finished, and if we lost power, I'd be able to run the sump pump and other appliances. So, the rain kept on coming. It wasn't too bad at first, as you can seehere, with just a little water starting to collect in the back corner of my house by the shed. Sump pump was working, things were good. Unfortunately, the rain kept coming, and the next thing I knew, we had a river running through our back yard. Not cool, but the sump pump was still working, and we had power, so I wasn't too worried. Well, it kept f*cking raining, and eventually my front yard and entire street was under a sh*tload of water. :D Still raining, pump working, power on. In the meantime, I had to empy my shed of my lawn tractor and other valuables, because the aforementioned river had now engulfed my entire back yard. I just put that swingset up 3 weeks ago for my son. :tup: OK, so things are getting a little hairy now at the Hugh residence, but we have power, and we have sump pump action. As I continue to monitor the sump pump, I notice the water level slowly rising. Pump is working, but it seems with the massive amount of water, it can't keep up. HOUSTON, WE HAVE A PROBLEM!!!!!! :D

So, I call my neighbor over, because he's lived in the area for 20 years, and has a sump pump system in his basement that would make McGyver proud. He's got like a 3 stage system with backups and backups of the backup. Noah would be floating past his house and his basement would still be dry. Anywho, he brings a spare pump over, and we throw that thing on, and it seems to help..... for a little while. F*CK, water level is rising again. Now panic sets in. I'm vacuuming water out, filling cups and dumping them, trying anything and everything to keep the water from over-flowing. At about 9:30, I see my attempts are futile, and I make the call to abandon ship. Called my brother in law, who lives about 5 minutes away and told him to come over and help me move everything out of the basement. So, my wife and myself start bringing everything upstairs, and when my brother in law shows up, we get all the heavy stuff up as well. Except for my 51" Hitachi Rear Projection Big Screen. My baby. All the while, the basement is slowly filling with water. I decide to sacrifice a coffee table in an effort to save the TV. It gets the TV about 2 feet off the ground. But the water level is rising. Well, I can't get the f*cking thing upstairs, so I'll hope for the best.

We ended up getting about 6 inches of water in the entire basement. My TV has survived. I have since gotten most of the water out of the basement, and will let everything dry out. We have dehumidifiers and fans going to expedite the process. I can't start gutting anything until the insurance company comes by to assess the damage. After that, I'll gut it, dry everything, and start over. I had just finished the basement this year, and it was mint. :doh:

Well, that's my story. At least everyone is OK. I just want to start getting everything finished, so my boys can have their play room back. I want to dry it and gut it so there is no mold issue, and rebuild it because we really need the living space. My 2 year old will drive us nuts and go stir crazy if he's limited to the upstairs. :D

Thanks for all the kind thoughts guys, it is very much appreciated. And sorry for the lame pictures from my phone, I haven't had a chance to download the ones from the camera yet. I also videoed the entire scene in case I need it for insurance.

Edited by Hugh 0ne

Thanks for the offer, but I just e-mailed them to Caveman Nick, he sent me a PM. If that doesn't work, I'll shoot you an e-mail. Thanks again.

No problem.

BFF's ???? :D

Wow...it is a river. :D

I was gonna say get a landscaper in and slope the land better before I saw the pics. Here in Richmond, we have that kind of flooding and it's the cities job to provide proper drainage. They had issues last year because the draining was improper and clogged and the city had basically ignored the problem. Last year, a huge storm came and flooded out the whole area. The residents sued the city for not providing the proper drainage. I can't believe they'd build houses in that type of flood plain without the required drainage.