[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bye bye basement

Hugh 0ne

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that's what you get for bailing and sumping all that water, moran. :D

We were trying to keep the basement from flooding at the time. Seemed like the better alternative than letting it flood right away and then hoping we got 3 feet of water. :D

Edited by Hugh 0ne

We were trying to keep the basement from flooding at the time. Seemed like the better alternative than letting it flood right away and then hoping we got 3 feet of water. :D

no doubt. look on the bright side, if they don't cover it, next time you'll know....if it passes 3 or 4 inches, time to turn on the hose and go for broke. :D

i'm thinking they'll cover it though. :tup:

no doubt. look on the bright side, if they don't cover it, next time you'll know....if it passes 3 or 4 inches, time to turn on the hose and go for broke. :D

:tup: Yeah, once we knew we were f*cked, we were kinda joking about that. Although the thought of 3 feet of water in the basement is a little frightening. :D

i'm thinking they'll cover it though. :doh:

I hope you're right. :D

At least someone actually read what I wrote. :tup:

Thanks to all for all for the info, advice, stories, and well wishes. It's much appreciated.

The frustrating thing now is waiting for the insurance company. If it were up to me, I'd have the entire basement gutted and drying so I can start rebuilding as soon as possible, but I can't touch anything until these jackasses come by and tell me that they won't pay me a f*cking dime because of some clause in the policy. :D

I feel your pain, Hugh. They've already told me we're not covered, despite the fact that we've had a basement that's bone dry since it was built. It's now got water pouring through the foundation all around like a freaking river. The jerkoff agent read me the exclusion wording over the phone. I'm SO not loving homeownership at all these days. They told us that if we had a sump pump that failed, we'd have been covered. Hopefully, this will work in your favor. Since we had none at all -- because we didn't freaking need one -- we're screwed. Thank God the furnace and washer/dryer are safe.

Luckily, our basement is not finished (and now probably never will be either). We're renting a Dumpster so we can throw everything away. I'm going to have to fix it with hydraulic cement and we're going to Drylock the beejeezus out of it and hope for the best. We can't afford to do anything major right now. :D

I feel your pain, Hugh. They've already told me we're not covered, despite the fact that we've had a basement that's bone dry since it was built. It's now got water pouring through the foundation all around like a freaking river. The jerkoff agent read me the exclusion wording over the phone. I'm SO not loving homeownership at all these days. They told us that if we had a sump pump that failed, we'd have been covered. Hopefully, this will work in your favor. Since we had none at all -- because we didn't freaking need one -- we're screwed. Thank God the furnace and washer/dryer are safe.

Luckily, our basement is not finished (and now probably never will be either). We're renting a Dumpster so we can throw everything away. I'm going to have to fix it with hydraulic cement and we're going to Drylock the beejeezus out of it and hope for the best. We can't afford to do anything major right now. :D

:D

Really sorry to hear that. If you can stand it, how can it be that if you had a failed sump pump you'd be covered but no sump pump and you're not covered. I know insurance companies are in la-la land but this is just ludicrous.

Really sorry to hear that. If you can stand it, how can it be that if you had a failed sump pump you'd be covered but no sump pump and you're not covered. I know insurance companies are in la-la land but this is just ludicrous.

This was the rant I had on the phone with the agent today. My house was whole two days ago, today it isn't. I have never filed a claim with my insurance in the twelve years I've lived in this house. :D

Wow. Sorry to hear that.

If they maintain the denial get a lawyer who knows denial of coverage issues. Lemme know if you need a referral, we have offices in NJ/NY/CT and Boston, lots of contacts up there, and I have a good client in Concord and just found him a good estate attorney there. In fact, I found someone else a good denial of coverage attorney in upstate NY recently (we cant do denial of coverage because we have a coverage group--cant go after the insurance companies paying yer bills). I would be happy to try to find you someone good.

Wow. Sorry to hear that.

If they maintain the denial get a lawyer who knows denial of coverage issues. Lemme know if you need a referral, we have offices in NJ/NY/CT and Boston, lots of contacts up there, and I have a good client in Concord and just found him a good estate attorney there. In fact, I found someone else a good denial of coverage attorney in upstate NY recently (we cant do denial of coverage because we have a coverage group--cant go after the insurance companies paying yer bills). I would be happy to try to find you someone good.

so you're a lawyer who respresents the copyright kooks AND insurance companies. wow, no wonder people like you so much.

so you're a lawyer who respresents the copyright kooks AND insurance companies. wow, no wonder people like you so much.

My firm has a coverage group. I have an art and entertainment practice and mostly represent creative people and companies protecting their content.

We employ many copyboys like you who flamed out of law school.

Sorry to hear about the house Hugh. I'll take the drizzle in western Washington for our annual 57" over 6 months than in 10 storms anyday. At least you got the important things out. Just make sure it gets dried really well so you don't get any mold behind the sheetrock.

Jeez, Hugh....just caught this thread. That's a sh*tload of water!!! :D:D:tup:

I haven't seen that much rainwater since I left Illinois. Here's hoping you get some financial help getting your basement dried out and restored!!

Wow. Sorry to hear that.

Much as I'd like to nail them to the wall, our loss in terms of possessions is minimal. The cost of repairing this basement properly though, ouch. I think we'll know more by the weekend when we can get all the stuff out and hopefully the water will stop running.

I'm hopeful that Hugh will be all set -- assuming his policy is written the way mine is. Mind you, his pumps didn't break...but they did FAIL to remove the water.

Very sorry to hear about your problems! Few things are worse emotionally than when things are going wrong with your home! This is where you are supposed to feel secure and "cozy".

I am feeling your pain here. Bought a ten year old repo LAST WEDNESDAY that none of the previous owners have ever "loved". Turned on the water main an hour after signing papers last week and water exploded out of the wall in the ground floor playroom (not a basement) and the nimrod that "winterized" the joint had taken the hoses off of the third floor washing machine and left the valves open. The water leaked through and took out half of my cieling in the second floor living room (3 level townhouse).

Besides the plummer raping me to fix the pipe, I have done most of the work myself. All the carpets had to go! Drywall, paint, labor, frustration. We still haven't moved in!

We forget how powerfull a force H2O can be.

Goof luck, I'll say a prayer for you!

Ugh. That sucks. Sorry to hear that Czarina. We have a sump pump clause in our insurance, so it looks like we are going to get up to $10'000, minus a $1'000 deductible. But I'll believe it when I see it. For now, we have a professional flood clean up company coming to give us an estimate on gutting and drying the basement. After that, I'll price out the material to re-do the floors and the walls. And if there's any money left over, I'll have someone come in and do the work so I don't have to re-finish my basement for the second time. I also plan on expanding my sump pump capability to handle 3 times the volume I can handle now, so we won't have to deal with this ordeal in the future. I'm also going to install a propane powered generator that will automatically switch on in case of a power failure and be hard wired to a new panel that will include critical appliances, and of course, my pump system.

Czarina, not to tell you something you don't already know, but be very careful with the water in the basement. Mold is a terrible health concern, especially with your boys in the house. Consider getting someone to come in and at least look at it and make some recommendations, estimates are free of charge. Good luck.

Ugh. That sucks. Sorry to hear that Czarina. We have a sump pump clause in our insurance, so it looks like we are going to get up to $10'000, minus a $1'000 deductible. But I'll believe it when I see it. For now, we have a professional flood clean up company coming to give us an estimate on gutting and drying the basement. After that, I'll price out the material to re-do the floors and the walls. And if there's any money left over, I'll have someone come in and do the work so I don't have to re-finish my basement for the second time. I also plan on expanding my sump pump capability to handle 3 times the volume I can handle now, so we won't have to deal with this ordeal in the future. I'm also going to install a propane powered generator that will automatically switch on in case of a power failure and be hard wired to a new panel that will include critical appliances, and of course, my pump system.

Czarina, not to tell you something you don't already know, but be very careful with the water in the basement. Mold is a terrible health concern, especially with your boys in the house. Consider getting someone to come in and at least look at it and make some recommendations, estimates are free of charge. Good luck.

It's probably a good idea to have someone come take a look at it. Luckily, the water itself never made it more than about 2" deep and it's all on concrete. We don't have any drywall down there. As soon as I can get all the crap out of there this weekend, I can get to scrubbing it out.

The weather is supposed to turn terrific by Saturday. :D

I never had the amount of rain you had, and obviously don't know the particulars, but did you look into expanding foam crack injections? I had a crack that ran from the bottom to the top of my foundation wall, and this foam injection stuff absolutely did the trick - with a 20 year transferable warranty. Cost about $75 per foot. The area is bone dry now. It had previously been repaired with cement and drylock.

Anyway, good luck.

Edited by The Irish Doggy

You need a French drain!

No doubt, but first I need a job. And so does my husband. :D

I'm sorry to hear that. I hope that changes soon for both of you.

Glad to hear that your basement is mostly concrete and the water damage was minimal. Something similar happened to my in-laws during one of those New England storms last summer (actually, I think that they had a good six inches or more) and they had no permanent damage or mold. Sounds like you'll be fine in the end.

No doubt, but first I need a job. And so does my husband. :D

Sorry Czar, I wasn't even aware of your problems, basement or otherwise. Good Vibes on the way!