[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The VT shooter according to a classmate

DMD

I am certainly no psychologist, but this guys seems to scream that he had some major issues in his past that he was not coping with...

As far as notifying authorities, there isn't (to my knowledge) any system set up that lets people say "Hey! This guy has some issues! Maybe you should look into this guy!" If there were, I definitely would have tried to get the kid some help. I think that could have had a good chance of averting yesterday's tragedy more than anything.

In general, our mental health care in this country is sorely lacking. There isn't really a system set up for things like that. I have a hard enough time getting students of mine help who are begging for help from the system.

Yea, that's some disturbed writing. Ever read Stephen King...that's some disturbed sh!!tt, too.

My point is is that it's easy looking back now and seeing what this kid did and then say, "wow, he was crazy...why didn't the playwriting teacher get him help?"

In addition, if he didn't want "help" and he is not evidencing suicidal or homicidal behavior, he cannot be forced to participate in treatment.

Yea, that's some disturbed writing. Ever read Stephen King...that's some disturbed sh!!tt, too.

I was thinking sort of the same thing. I've read a whole lot worse stuff than that before. (or course, I am rather erudite.) :D

My point is is that it's easy looking back now and seeing what this kid did and then say, "wow, he was crazy...why didn't the playwriting teacher get him help?"

And, in fact, the teacher did try to get him help.

About two years ago, I had a nutjob student in one of my classes. He was so weird that I even forwarded one of his e-mails to Unta for his assessment. Unta response didn't exactly set me at ease (he basically said it sounded like the guy had a mental condition that could sometimes result in violence). I reported the situation to the administration and it turned out that there were a number of other faculty members that had also had problems with the guy. The administration's response was to send me their pamphlet on how to deal with disruptive students in the classroom. :D

I told my wife that if this guy kills me that she should sue the crap out of GVSU.

(I think the guy finally graduated in December, but I'm not certain.)

I saw them interview his teacher and she said she alerted the authorities and even showed the police but they said he had not actually done anything to intervene about. Just because someone wrote something that was disturbing is not against the law. He never wrote that he was going to harm classmates. I think the people at VT probably did everything they could have done. They were concerned about him and tried to get him help and intervene within what they could. No one had an inkling that he was going to mow down 30 people.

I saw them interview his teacher and she said she alerted the authorities and even showed the police but they said he had not actually done anything to intervene about. Just because someone wrote something that was disturbing is not against the law. He never wrote that he was going to harm classmates. I think the people at VT probably did everything they could have done. They were concerned about him and tried to get him help and intervene within what they could. No one had an inkling that he was going to mow down 30 people.

I am not defending the kid. But we just elected a Senator from Virginia who wrote in a novel about an adult male giving oral pleasure to a child.

I guess what I am saying, is that I am concerned greatly about the heat VT is getting for not seeing this coming. Time will tell what if any mistakes they made. These writings after the fact say anyone should have seen this coming.

I just dont think it is that simple and would ask that we all spend the immediate future focusing on the families most affected by this tradgedy.

Just my 2 cents.

Edited by Hardrocker

I am not defending the kid. But we just elected a Senator from Virginia who wrote in a novel about an adult male giving oral pleasure to a child.

I guess what I am saying, is that I am concerned greatly about the heat VT is getting for not seeing this coming. Time will tell what if any mistakes they made. These writings after the fact say anyone should have seen this coming.

I just dont think it is that simple and would ask that we all spend the immediate future focusing on the families most affected by this tradgedy.

Just my 2 cents.

Well, there is more to it, it seems. It has been reported he got in trouble for lighting a fire in the dorm, has been investigated for a couple of online/physical stalking incidents, and his professor thought he was disturbed enough to notify the police, not just the university. You got to be a kookoo if yer English professor feels it is necessary to tell the police about you.

I take it you didnt like Scooter Libby's novel with the scene about the people who had a caged bear rape a human child, then? Or Liz Cheney's lezzie novel?

Edited by skins

In general, our mental health care in this country is sorely lacking. There isn't really a system set up for things like that. I have a hard enough time getting students of mine help who are begging for help from the system.

yup its realy to bad we are a third world country.... oh wait :D

hmmm who was it that closed all the state run mental institutions ... thinking ..... thinking......

Edited by Yukon Cornelius

Rumor has it... he was on anti-depressents.
I'm on anti-depressents. While everyone responds a little differently, based on his actions and his writing, I'd say he has problems that far exceeded what any anti-depressent was ever meant to handle.

The First Amendment and Second Amendment need some serious updating.

I doubt our forefathers never envisioned a world we live in today. Certainly, if they were alive today drafting a Bill of Rights, it would be vastly different then what was penned 230 years ago.

Sad they didn't help the sick little fuck when they had the chance.

They did. And they "helped" him the way a lot of seriously depressed/screwed up people are "helped" nowdays....throw them some happy pills.

Brilliant :D

He lived in Korea for the first 8 years of his life, English probably wasn't his primary language until he was older. You don't have to write that well to get through most colleges, anyway.

His thought progression is disturbing, to say the least.

He lived in Korea for the first 8 years of his life, English probably wasn't his primary language until he was older. You don't have to write that well to get through most colleges, anyway.

His thought progression is disturbing, to say the least.

That "writing" was about as good as the high-school bully trying to "write"

Well, there is more to it, it seems. It has been reported he got in trouble for lighting a fire in the dorm, has been investigated for a couple of online/physical stalking incidents, and his professor thought he was disturbed enough to notify the police, not just the university. You got to be a kookoo if yer English professor feels it is necessary to tell the police about you.

I take it you didnt like Scooter Libby's novel with the scene about the people who had a caged bear rape a human child, then? Or Liz Cheney's lezzie novel?

To add to this, I read he was actually kicked out of his poetry class. He was taking pictures of people under their desk. The prof told the university that she already had 2 people quit the class because of him and if he wasnt given the boot she was resigning.

I dont think you can get an accurate read on someone because they write some seriously F'd up plays. But I do think its a good place to start.

What does everyone say this? A friend sent me the exact same link DMD posted and asked if I was going to go off as well. You don't secretly know me do you?

No, but I got your background info from Big John, you're nuttier than Jimmy Carter's farm.