[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

RB Michael Bush is healthy again

DMD

This should help his stock in a week...

RB Bush up and running just in time for NFL draft

Michael Bush is up and running, his broken right leg nearly fully healed just in time for the NFL draft.

The former Louisville running back this week took part in his first full workout since he was hurt in September, and also received a thumbs-up prognosis from James Andrews, an Alabama-based orthopedic surgeon who specializes in sports injuries.

"I reviewed an X-ray today and it looks like it is 99 percent healed," Andrews wrote in a letter dated Wednesday and obtained by The Associated Press. "I would estimate that Michael Bush will pick up in the NFL where he left off in college, and should be a top-ranked running back taken in the 2007 NFL Draft."

The letter was released by Bush's agent, Todd France, who said he is forwarding Andrews' letter, Bush's most recent X-rays and a DVD from his client's workout to all 32 NFL teams. The workout was held at Louisville on Monday and filmed by school officials, France said.

The agent hopes the updated information will clear up any doubts about Bush's status going into the draft on April 28-29.

"It's great news," said France. "It's huge. My thing was I wanted to take away any negative perceptions in people's minds where his health status is because he couldn't work out at the combine. Well, guess what, look at him now."

The highly regarded Bush broke his leg in Louisville's season-opener against Kentucky in September. He was coming off a junior season in which he ran for 1,143 yards and an NCAA-leading 23 touchdowns.

Bush applied for a medical redshirt in case he decided to come back to school, but instead opted to enter the draft.

The injury has led Bush's stock to fall in numerous draft projections, which peg him as a second- or third-round pick at best - and well behind Oklahoma's Adrian Peterson and California's Marshawn Lynch.

Before being hurt, the 6-foot-1, 251-pound Bush was noted for running with both power and speed, while also being a capable receiver. He actually came to Louisville as a quarterback.

His recovery comes about a month after Bush had a second operation during which a new rod was inserted into his leg after the bone didn't heal quickly enough from the initial surgery.

"It is remarkable how quickly this has improved," Andrews wrote. "It certainly looks much better than it did some weeks ago."

Andrews said he also was impressed after viewing the workout, noting Bush took part in 100-yard runs, multiple ladder drills, jumped rope and did 225-pound squats.

:D

Read the article:

The letter was released by Bush's agent, Todd France, who said he is forwarding Andrews' letter, Bush's most recent X-rays and a DVD from his client's workout to all 32 NFL teams. The workout was held at Louisville on Monday and filmed by school officials, France said.

OK...so never having seen him play, where does he fall in with the other draft-eligible RB's? Is he #3 (but a 2nd round pick) following AP and Lynch?

No way he goes as the #3 RB off the board.

Actually, I shouldn't say that. He's falls into the second tier of RBs along with Pittman, Hunt, Booker, Irons, & Leonard. You could take those names, throw them into a hat, mix them up, and by randomly selecting come up with a reasonable order of how they might come off the board on Saturday.

Personally, he'll go a lot higher in my FF draft than I'm willing to select him, and I think he'll come off the NFL draft board a lot earlier than the risk associated with him justifies. I also see at least 4 RBs who will be selected after him who will have a better chance of being more productive at the NFL level.

He was already on the Eagles watch-list prior to this news being released. I am guessing he doesn't fall into the low-2nd round at this point.

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/default.jsp

Look under the "multimedia"tab to the right for the interview with him.

You might also want to check out the final auditions for the 2007 cheerleading squad :D

:D is it just me or does anyone else think it odd that a doctor would write: "I reviewed an X-ray today and it looks like it is 99 percent healed," Andrews wrote in a letter dated Wednesday and obtained by The Associated Press. "I would estimate that Michael Bush will pick up in the NFL where he left off in college, and should be a top-ranked running back taken in the 2007 NFL Draft." It just seems odd to me that a doctor would make a comment like "...should be a top-ranked running back taken in the 2007 NFL Draft." . I could see a comment like, Bush should make a normal recovery, or he is healing at an expected rate, or he should be at 100% in a few weeks...but not a comment like, he should be a top-ranked running back taken in the draft. Just doesn't sound like something a doctor would say. I don't know maybe its just me... :D

:D is it just me or does anyone else think it odd that a doctor would write: "I reviewed an X-ray today and it looks like it is 99 percent healed," Andrews wrote in a letter dated Wednesday and obtained by The Associated Press. "I would estimate that Michael Bush will pick up in the NFL where he left off in college, and should be a top-ranked running back taken in the 2007 NFL Draft." It just seems odd to me that a doctor would make a comment like "...should be a top-ranked running back taken in the 2007 NFL Draft." . I could see a comment like, Bush should make a normal recovery, or he is healing at an expected rate, or he should be at 100% in a few weeks...but not a comment like, he should be a top-ranked running back taken in the draft. Just doesn't sound like something a doctor would say. I don't know maybe its just me... :D

Nope, I thought the same thing when I read it...

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

That a doctor would make commentary well outside of his area of expertise speaks to his lack of professionalism and ethical character, which in turn brings into question his credibility.

Caveat Emptor.

Edited by Bronco Billy

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

That a doctor would make commentary well outside of his area of expertise speaks to his lack of professionalism and ethical character, which in turn brings into question his credibility.

Caveat Emptor.

That's my interpretation as well, but jeez, after reading his bio, I think maybe the guy just has a tough time saying no to anyone who asks something of him. He's the prominent orthapedic surgeon in all of sport.

James R. Andrews, M.D.

Doctor James R. Andrews, orthopaedic surgeon, is one of the founding members of the Alabama Sports Medicine and Orthopaedic Center (ASMOC) and the American Sports Medicine Institute (ASMI) in Birmingham, Alabama, located at St. Vincent’s Hospital. He serves as Chairman and Medical Director of ASMI. Doctor Andrews is also a founding partner and Medical Director of the Andrews Institute located in Gulf Breeze, Florida.

Doctor Andrews is internationally known and recognized throughout the world for his scientific and clinic research contributions in knee, shoulder and elbow injuries, and his skill as an orthopaedic surgeon.

Doctor Andrews came to Birmingham in 1986 to help form the Alabama Sports Medicine and Orthopaedic Center. He has been the mentor for more than 150 orthopaedic/sports medicine fellows and more than 30 primary care sports medicine fellows who have trained under him through the American Sports Medicine Institute Sports Medicine Fellowship Program. Involved in education and research in sports medicine and orthopaedic surgery, he has made major presentations on every continent, and has authored numerous scientific articles and books.

Doctor Andrews graduated from Louisiana State University in 1963, where he was Southeastern Conference indoor and outdoor pole vault champion. He completed LSU School of Medicine in 1967, and completed his orthopaedic residency at Tulane Medical School in 1972. He had surgical fellowships in sports medicine at the University of Virginia Medical School in 1972 with Doctor Frank McCue, III, and at the University of Lyon, Lyon, France in 1972 with the late professor Albert Trillat, M.D., who was known as the Father of European Knee Surgery.

Doctor Andrews is a member of the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery and the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. He has served on the Board of Directors of the American Orthopaedic Society of Sports Medicine, and served as Secretary of that Board from May 2004 to May 2005. He has served on the Board of Directors of the Arthroscopy Association of North America and the International Knee Society. He is Clinical Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery at the University of Alabama Birmingham Medical School, the University of Virginia School of Medicine, the University of Kentucky Medical Center, and the University of South Carolina Medical School. He has been awarded a Doctor of Laws Degree from Livingston University, Doctor of Science Degree from Troy State University and a Doctor of Science Degree from Louisiana State University.

At present, Doctor Andrews serves as Co-Medical Director for Intercollegiate Sports at Auburn University. He is Senior Orthopaedic Consultant for Intercollegiate Athletics at the University of Alabama. He is the orthopaedic consultant for the athletic teams of Troy University, University of West Alabama, Tuskegee University and Grambling University.

He is the Senior Orthopaedic Consultant for the Washington Redskins Professional Football team.

He is the Medical Director for the Tampa Bay Devil Rays Professional Baseball Team. He is the team physician for the Birmingham Barons Double A Professional Baseball Team, an affiliate of the Chicago White Sox.

He is Co-Medical Director of the Ladies Professional Golf Association.

He has been a member of the Sports Medicine Committee of the United States Olympic Committee having served during the last two previous quadrenniums.

He has served on the NCAA Competitive Safeguards in Medical Aspects of Sports Committee.

He currently serves on the Medical and Safety Advisory Committee of USA Baseball.

He serves on the Board of Directors of the following companies: FastHealth Corporation, and Robins Morton Construction Company. He is a member of Troy University’s Board of Trustees.

Doctor Andrews has been inducted into the Alabama Sports Hall of Fame and was named recipient of the Alabama Sports Hall of Fame 1992 Distinguished Sportsman Award. In 1996, Doctor Andrews was inducted into the LSU Alumni Hall of Distinction.

Doctor Andrews and his wife, Jenelle have six children, Andy, Amy, Archie, Ashley, Amber, Abby and three grandchildren.

Yacht racing is one of Doctor Andrews’ keen interests. His 50-foot racing sloop, Abracadabra III, won the 1990 International 50-Foot Yacht Association World Cup. He has also won many other yacht racing off shore regattas. His offshore racing sloop Abracadabra was recently named one of the best 100 vessels of the twentieth century by Sail Magazine. He served as President and Chairman of the Board of Aloha Racing Foundation, an America’s Cup XXX Syndicate based in Honolulu, Hawaii, which challenged for the 2000 America’s Cup contested in Auckland, New Zealand. His other hobbies include golf and hunting.

That's my interpretation as well, but jeez, after reading his bio, I think maybe the guy just has a tough time saying no to anyone who asks something of him. He's the prominent orthapedic surgeon in all of sport.

It would appear that he's prolific as well...

On espn earlier the former Titans GM was saying that it would be hard to draft him prior to round 3 without the teams seeing his workout live and having their own staff evaluate the leg. M Bush is a great talent but that leg injury was a pretty brutal one, especially for a RB at his size.

Personally, he'll go a lot higher in my FF draft than I'm willing to select him, and I think he'll come off the NFL draft board a lot earlier than the risk associated with him justifies. I also see at least 4 RBs who will be selected after him who will have a better chance of being more productive at the NFL level.

I agree. In addition to a sleeper list, every year I have a "Let Someone Else Draft" list for the rookie class. Bush is one of the players on this year's LSED list.

:D SuperChiefs / John

He's the prominent orthapedic surgeon in all of sport.

It would appear that he's prolific as well...

He may be prominent and prolific, but he should limit his statements to his area of expertise, not to the draft ranking of an athlete. :D

He may be prominent and prolific, but he should limit his statements to his area of expertise, not to the draft ranking of an athlete. :D

We all are taking this out of portion. We are not paid to draft players as well. BUT we have draft boards and other things as such and think we are. We play fantasy football and rank players. Just because he said it just means he is a big fan of his thats all like we are of certain players. Whether its AP or CJ2 or even the someone not really known. We all make predictions. He just voiced his to the media.

We all are taking this out of portion. We are not paid to draft players as well. BUT we have draft boards and other things as such and think we are. We play fantasy football and rank players. Just because he said it just means he is a big fan of his thats all like we are of certain players. Whether its AP or CJ2 or even the someone not really known. We all make predictions. He just voiced his to the media.

I respectfully offer that you are way off base here.

None of us here are professional drafters (though DMD plays one... :D ). Andrews is a medical professional, and he is using his credentials & his expertise gained as such to offer a professional opinion regarding something about which he has no expert status. That at the very least impeaches his credibility and at worst is unprofessional and unethical conduct.

This is something that I know a bit about - I'm a certified expert witness in my field. While I offer my opinions about a myriad of issues (duh!), I don't put forth my status and credentials in anything other than matters that relate directly and relevantly to my areas of professional expertise. It's imperative to maintain my credibility and standing, and in accord with an ethical code of conduct, that I don't exceed those boundaries.

I respectfully offer that you are way off base here.

None of us here are professional drafters (though DMD plays one... :D ). Andrews is a medical professional, and he is using his credentials & his expertise gained as such to offer a professional opinion regarding something about which he has no expert status. That at the very least impeaches his credibility and at worst is unprofessional and unethical conduct.

This is something that I know a bit about - I'm a certified expert witness in my field. While I offer my opinions about a myriad of issues (duh!), I don't put forth my status and credentials in anything other than matters that relate directly and relevantly to my areas of professional expertise. It's imperative to maintain my credibility and standing, and in accord with an ethical code of conduct, that I don't exceed those boundaries.

Only fans. Would take advice from a doctor via draft status. He stated what he though as a fan of the game. And maybe cause he been paid to do it as well. But when it is said and done NFL GM's around will make that decision who is and who isnt. My point is that heck everyone make predictions who they think are best and whos not. Its up to GMs to make that decision. If you think for one second that a GM will care what he thinks outside of medical expertise somethings wrong. They have people to do that and from the people I have talked too. They just overlook this and go off his medical evalutation. But they do question if his health is what it is. You have your sources. I have mine. But this was just taken way too far was what I was saying. Everyone has opinions. The are like A$$ holes everybody got one. He just voiced his and its called freedom of speech. Other wise again wh really knows who the best back really is. Every GM thought S. Holmes was the best WR in last yr draft to take him in round one and Coleston came out of no where. So he could be wrong. Could be right. But we wont really know that answer till 3-5 years down the line.

Edited by loyalboyd