[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Something that's never happened to me...happened

xMRogers

Normally keep personal stuff off here, but this one has thrown me for a loop a bit and figured I'd type it out in the one place that makes some sense to do so.

I work in telecom, have for years - been with a CLEC out of Tampa for the last three and a half, heading up Sales and Marketing for them. We had some past debts and other issues combine into a perfect storm Chapter 11 filing in Feb. We could have emerged profitably (we were profitable operationally but some debt load (for things that were of no value to operations - some ex-management made some HUGE mistakes)), but the creditors knew they'd get more short term money by just selling. New equity company came in, bought, and for the last four weeks, just seemed to figure things out.

Turns out (I found out last night) their plans don't really include growth (don't ask what kind of plans those are, cause I have no idea). WIth no growth, no need for sales and marketing, and definitely no need to pay the head of that org his salary. So was let go officially today.

So for the first time in my adult working life (call it 13 years) I was let go today. It was coming in the next few months regardless, but the swiftness of it was somewhat shocking (realize I was on a call at 3 with a big sales agent of ours and new management talking about some plans....and at 4 told "seeya")

Not sure what's next - already got some feelers out, but going to take at least a little time to take stock....not too much as sole earner for 2 kids under 22 months and wife, but enough to see what i really want to do next.

Just throwing this out here - sure i'm not the only one that has been in this spot - open to any suggestions in terms of just 'dealing' with it.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Normally keep personal stuff off here, but this one has thrown me for a loop a bit and figured I'd type it out in the one place that makes some sense to do so.

I work in telecom, have for years - been with a CLEC out of Tampa for the last three and a half, heading up Sales and Marketing for them. We had some past debts and other issues combine into a perfect storm Chapter 11 filing in Feb. We could have emerged profitably (we were profitable operationally but some debt load (for things that were of no value to operations - some ex-management made some HUGE mistakes)), but the creditors knew they'd get more short term money by just selling. New equity company came in, bought, and for the last four weeks, just seemed to figure things out.

Turns out (I found out last night) their plans don't really include growth (don't ask what kind of plans those are, cause I have no idea). WIth no growth, no need for sales and marketing, and definitely no need to pay the head of that org his salary. So was let go officially today.

So for the first time in my adult working life (call it 13 years) I was let go today. It was coming in the next few months regardless, but the swiftness of it was somewhat shocking (realize I was on a call at 3 with a big sales agent of ours and new management talking about some plans....and at 4 told "seeya")

Not sure what's next - already got some feelers out, but going to take at least a little time to take stock....not too much as sole earner for 2 kids under 22 months and wife, but enough to see what i really want to do next.

Just throwing this out here - sure i'm not the only one that has been in this spot - open to any suggestions in terms of just 'dealing' with it.

We have tons of openings in Verizon business. Lots in management and our telcom side is decent. Hit that up or PM me and we'll talk off line.

:D

I went through this back in 2001, so I know how you feel here. I was downsized by bunch of incompetent idiots who were later forced out, so I did get the last laugh. It was a blessing in a way, because I absolutely hated working for those people.

Keep in mind that it was not your fault. It sounds like you did nothing wrong. Take some time, relax and get your head together. Try to keep busy. If you jog or workout, do some of that. Or take some time to do somethings you've put off, like yardwork, cleaning the garage or cleaning out files on the computer, or just something like that. Good luck.

It always hurts to be blindsided.

If you can afford to it's probably best to take a couple of weeks to decompress. I wish you the best of luck.

Man, that sucks. Good luck to you, hope you find something soon. My guess though in the marketing field there are a lot of directions you could go. Hopefully you'll find yourself better off in the end.

We have tons of openings in Verizon business. Lots in management and our telcom side is decent. Hit that up or PM me and we'll talk off line.

Tks - yea, used to work for MCI for a long timein the business marketing group, so have started talking to some of my old friends there. Not sure I want to go back there...but it's definitely a possibility.

That really sucks. I know the feeling. In 2000 my finance (now my wife) and I worked for AT&T wireless and this happened there too. Both of us got laid off at that time. It isn't easy. Not sure what the job market is like in your area. I wish you and your family the best of luck!

That sucks. :D

I got laid off back in '97 or so when Charlotte NC bought our bank. Turned out to be the best thing that ever happened to me as I found a job that was 10 times better I'd have never found otherwise. I know of alot of people in a similar boat that things turned out much better.

I took a gamble on a riskier company with more upside instead of the safe bet and nowhere to move up for years or ever...knowing (or hoping) the safe bet would still be there if things didn't work out.

Good luck!

Sorry to hear that.

As said before though, do your best to keep busy, distract yourself. You know that you had zero fault in what happened but it is easy to lose self-confidence if all you do think about it.

I know this is a standard answer to something like this but it always comes true. Something will come along and everything will turn out fine.

Chin up and I wish you luck.

Mike, that sucks. Sorry to hear you're going through this. My husband was similarly laid off from Comcast after 17 years with the company in January. Luckily we have severance for the time being, but it really sucks. I don't know if you're the sort who can appreciate the 'time off' until you find something new, but it's driving my husband NUTS.

Being in the business/marketing end of things I would hope you'd find the job market pretty open. Good luck finding something new and better. :D

You're talented enough to run a sales division, you're talented enough to bounce back on your feet with something. The company sounds like it was in a tough spot as it is, and unfortunately those who go are those who make too much $$$. Hang in there. Silver linings abound.....

Did they offer you a serverance package?

That was gonna be my first question too. Sure hope so :D

While it is all still fresh in your memory, try to take an accounting of all of the measureables that you added for your now former employer throughout your career (ie. grew client base by x%). Jot down all of those things that you never really keep track of too closely until you find yourself looking for work.

Also, search some of the past threads here at the Huddle... I know there has recently been some excellent advice given on job searches, interviewing, etc.!

Sorry about your rotten luck. :D

XM,

Sorry to hear it. You need to blow off some steam - have a few brews (not too many) and take time to 'grieve' for your loss. Its a smaller version of losing a loved one, with loss of: daily contact with friends, a consisten daily routine, etc. don't try to ignore your feelings of abandonment, disappointment, shot to the self-esteem, confidence, etc.

After that, and that may be a day or a week or a month, you can focus on your search. Start networking hard with family and friends, then business contacts, for those 'in's at the places you might like to work. (The best jobs, as you may expect, are not published in print or on the web.)

Tackle it like a job 40 hours a week, if possible.

good luck,

As I'm thinking through things, I think there's two things that are just really bothering me about it that are gnawing at me

- the money angle - i had a contract that guaranteed me a decent sum if they did this .... unfortunately, the bankruptcy somewhat got rid of that (in a few months, i'll get 5 to 20% of what they really should have paid me)....but the true severance was 2 weeks - reason being the wierd way it went down - new company said "not selling, don't need him" / old company isn't really a 'company' anymore - just some peopel to close out the estate (which i'm not needed for, although one part of it may allow me to work for a few weeks more). - so at end of day, while I will get some cash out of my bankruptcy claim on my contract, i really end up with two weeks....seems a bit light for my contributions over the years

- the "laid off" angle - being in this business for many years, I've survived a ton of layoffs, and in most I had to layoff people myself. Truth of it is that, outside of whole depts being functionally shut down, you always culled the worst performers. True in any industry I'm sure - when they tell you to take out 20%, you don't take your top people out. So while in this case it was a functional issue, i still can't help feel the "wait, I've been a top performer my whole career...how did this happen". I'll get over it quickly, and in theory the quick replys from a lot of my contacts about finding somethign else have already showed me something....but the "never been fired/let go" box on the mental resume can no longer be checked....it's just an odd feeling

Appreciate everyone's comments - normally pretty self contained on things, but this sort of forum helps in occasions like this I think

Also, in reading about the basement issues and dave's family, believe me when I say - this is a small bump in the road of life and definitley nothing major like those sort of things.....more just felt sharing some thoughts out here may be a good idea for me to do.

Wow, something just hapeened to me that has never happened to me before as well. I went to the doctor for a physical yesterday and he "checked my oil" :D Now I'm not saying it was nearly as bad as what your going through, but holy crap I am a bit traumatized.

All kidding aside, good luck to you. Sometimes these things have a way of working out for the better.