[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Roy Williams' value with the addition of Calvin Johnson

TheGrunt

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good for 2007, unknown beyond that.

* Kitna to be replaced over the next year and a half. Stanton learning curve.

Is this the end of Orlovsky in Detroit? Or does he move to #2/push for #1 while Stanton sits and learns?

Is this the end of Orlovsky in Detroit? Or does he move to #2/push for #1 while Stanton sits and learns?

I doubt he'll push for the #1 spot, but I could see him battling with Stanton for the #2 spot. Even so, I love the situation here: Stanton is now a project QB under Martz. Instead of being thrown to the wolves like Harrington was, Stanton has a better coaching staff, and something Harrington never had -- time to develop. Oh yeah, and he also has Roy Williams AND Calvin Johnson to throw to once he's ready to step up to the #1 spot. Brilliant! :D

Even so, I love the situation here: Stanton is now a project QB under Martz. Instead of being thrown to the wolves like Harrington was, Stanton has a better coaching staff, and something Harrington never had -- time to develop. Oh yeah, and he also has Roy Williams AND Calvin Johnson to throw to once he's ready to step up to the #1 spot. Brilliant! :D

For how much longer do you think Martz is going to be around?

And do you think that Williams AND Johnson are going to be on the roster when Stanton is "ready to step up?" Williams contract is up in two years.

Edited by Furd

Well, I think that drafting Stanton in the second put the kibosh to any thoughts that Dan O was being groomed to succeed Kitna. Dan will probably stick around as the number two for next year, and perhaps the number three after that. Not that I think Stanton is that great, but you don't spend a second-round pick on someone you project to be a career backup.

Aren't people kinda surprised they have just thrown in the towel with Orlovsky? They really haven't even given him a chance. I liked him a lot coming out of college.

I am. People are all for drafting "project" QB's in the late round, then they get impatient when they're not starting after two years. Dan O seemed to have all of the measurables and a great attitude. Perhaps he just couldn't put it together. There's no way to know.

Is CJ not an exemption?

With Roy Williams the clear #1 across from him? No. There are only so many balls to go around. The Lions won't get enough offensive snaps to have two guys with 100 catches and 1300 yards. I think the prediction of 60 catches and 800 yards would be pretty good for a rookie. As quick as you guys are to write off Furrey, given that Kitna and Martz both love him, he's still going to get 40-50 catches.

With Roy Williams the clear #1 across from him? No. There are only so many balls to go around. The Lions won't get enough offensive snaps to have two guys with 100 catches and 1300 yards. I think the prediction of 60 catches and 800 yards would be pretty good for a rookie. As quick as you guys are to write off Furrey, given that Kitna and Martz both love him, he's still going to get 40-50 catches.

Fitz and Bolden seem to share really well.

For how much longer do you think Martz is going to be around?

And do you think that Williams AND Johnson are going to be on the roster when Stanton is "ready to step up?" Williams contract is up in two years.

Martz will be around for at least one more year, and possibly two. Maybe more, maybe not. I also have no reason to believe Williams and Johnson won't be on the Lions roster one or two years from now when Stanton is ready to step up. If things start to go in the right direction for the Lions who's to say Martz won't stay and finish what appears to be a solid fresh start for this organization?

With Roy Williams the clear #1 across from him? No. There are only so many balls to go around. The Lions won't get enough offensive snaps to have two guys with 100 catches and 1300 yards.

Last year Kitna threw 596 passes for 396 completions. Furrey had 98 catches for 1086 and 6 scores while Roy Williams had 82 for 1310 and 7 scores. The other DET wideouts - which were a motley and ever changing crew - accounted for 45 catches for 461 yards.

I do not want to overstate what any rookie will do - even one as hyped as Johnson - but there's already been plenty of room for 2 WR's to do well in DET. With 596 passes, there's enough to make three good wideouts. And last year was in the first year of the system which should be improved this year anyway.

Last year Kitna threw 596 passes for 396 completions. Furrey had 98 catches for 1086 and 6 scores while Roy Williams had 82 for 1310 and 7 scores. The other DET wideouts - which were a motley and ever changing crew - accounted for 45 catches for 461 yards.

I do not want to overstate what any rookie will do - even one as hyped as Johnson - but there's already been plenty of room for 2 WR's to do well in DET. With 596 passes, there's enough to make three good wideouts. And last year was in the first year of the system which should be improved this year anyway.

This is a very good point. Which also means that for Calvin Johnson this will be his first year getting introduced into the system. Roy Williams now has some experience with the system along with some help so that he isn't double and triple guarded on every passing play.

I'm not saying that CJ will do poorly. I expect him to do well. However, getting elite numbers is going to be tough. I expect he'll make more of an NFL impact than he will a fantasy impact. CJ will be drafted too highly in almost every redraft league.

I'm not saying that CJ will do poorly. I expect him to do well. However, getting elite numbers is going to be tough. I expect he'll make more of an NFL impact than he will a fantasy impact. CJ will be drafted too highly in almost every redraft league.

I agree.

I think Roy Williams will have a great season next year though. CJ will make the coverage look his way alot more than they looked over at Furry last year.

Right. My default projection for a rookie WR is 50-800. And usually that's about the best you can expect with RARE exceptions.

Then again, CJ is arguable coming into a spot VERY comparable with Moss in his rookie year - solid passing game with 2 other WRs that need to be worried about. He might be one of the rare guys who pops off for 60-70 catches and well over 1000 yds.

the player on paper, who benefits the most here is Kitna....

but I am pretty sure Kitna usually favors a WR over others..

last year he spread it between 2 guys well.....

the only way I see CJ2 putting up numbers is if 1)he starts right away ..and 2) Roy gets hurt for a stretch of games as he usually does...

the more I try to think about what WR I'd want between the 3...the more it hurts..

Right. My default projection for a rookie WR is 50-800. And usually that's about the best you can expect with RARE exceptions.

Then again, CJ is arguable coming into a spot VERY comparable with Moss in his rookie year - solid passing game with 2 other WRs that need to be worried about. He might be one of the rare guys who pops off for 60-70 catches and well over 1000 yds.

I haven't followed the players of this years draft much....but doesn't CJ fit more of a Torry Holt type of mold?

the situations are similar....Moss, CJ or Holt....so he does have a great opportunity to break-out...

I haven't followed the players of this years draft much....but doesn't CJ fit more of a Torry Holt type of mold?

:D

1999 stl |  games - 16   rec - 52   yds - 788  avg - 15.2   td - 6 

You are a smart man.

I hope you are right about CJ. I do think he is special and could suprise us all. but like most everyone else I try to keep my hopes down when it comes to rookie WR's.

the player on paper, who benefits the most here is Kitna....

but I am pretty sure Kitna usually favors a WR over others..

last year he spread it between 2 guys well.....

the only way I see CJ2 putting up numbers is if 1)he starts right away ..and 2) Roy gets hurt for a stretch of games as he usually does...

the more I try to think about what WR I'd want between the 3...the more it hurts..

From a fantasy perspective, I think that Mike Furrey is going to be the one that's undervalued. He'll be pretty good in yardage leagues, and probably very good in PPR leagues.