[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Best move on day 1

rbmcdonald

Editorial Note: I am a Cowboy hater

Say what you want about Jones as a GM, but that was a trade that will go down in history. They give up there #1 for Browns #2 and Browns #1 next year. Then they trade the Browns #2 & thier own #3 & #5, for the Eagles #1. They use the Eagles #1 to draft Spencer (I do not know if Spencer has first round value or not), word is that Spencer is who they would have taken at 22. Therefor the net effect of this trade is that the Boys get CLE 2008 #1 for thier 2007 #3 & #5. Now if CLE makes the playoffs this year, not such a big deal, but while they seem to be moving in the right direction, not sure they will be much better in 07 than in 06. If they throw Quinn out there from day on, they might be worse in 07.

Edited by rbmcdonald

I thought the Cowboys did a great job wheelin' and dealin' on day one. I expect more of the same today as we have 2 fours, no five, 2 sixes, and 3 sevens- I believe and I would almost guarantee at least one deal getting done. I really think Spencer and Marten will help us out quite a bit.

Edited by irish

I thought the Cowboys did a great job wheelin' and dealin' on day one. I expect more of the same today as we have 2 fours, no five, 2 sixes, and 3 sevens- I believe and I would almost guarantee at least one deal getting done. I really think Spencer and Marten will help us out quite a bit.

The Panthers had a great Day 1. They got great value at all their picks, and by trading down picked up another 2 round pick-hence being able to take Kris Jenkins off the trading block. They also got the best C in the draft with this move, a player many had as 1st round value, then a young DE in Charles Johnson in the 3rd. The first trade of the day allowed the Panthers to have one of the best Day 1's of the draft this year.

Wheter you like the pick of Kolb or not is another discussion, but:

Moving down 10 spots from #26 to #36, and picking up an extra 3rd-round pick (Tony Hunt) and an extra 5th-rounder might be the best trade of the draft.

No way, not even close Dallas moving down to Cleveland's spot and getting their Top 5-10 pick next year was. :D

Pats trading their 28th overall to the 9ers for their first round next year was a pretty nice trade if you ask me. Niners are improving but I'll say that's a jump up of about 10 spots. Dallas does win the best move on day 1 with Cleveland coming in 2nd.

What that trade worked out to be:

The Pats trade their first (#28) this year for SF's first next year AND Randy Moss.

:D

Edited by Caveman_Nick

Moving down 10 spots from #26 to #36, and picking up an extra 3rd-round pick (Tony Hunt) and an extra 5th-rounder might be the best trade of the draft.

I loved the trade when it was announced....now I want to see where they are going with this...

Well lets compare what could have been if they stayed where they were to what they actually got.

STAY

#26 = OLB - Posluszny

#57 = DE - Abiamiri

#90 = RB - Hunt

or

#26 = DE - Spencer

#57 = OLB - Bradley

#90 = RB - Hunt

WITH TRADE

#36 = QB - Kolb

#57 = DE - Abiamiri

#87 = OLB - Bradley

#90 = RB - Hunt

#159 = ???

I don't know about you but I would rather have either of the first two then what they got. When is Kolb going to contribute to the Eagles? They basically took Kolb and a late 5th instead of a higher rated OLB or DE. I just don't get the Kolb pick at all. I can't even see him contributing for 2-3 years if at all.

Plus they allowed Dallas to get the DE they wanted all along.

Edited by ebartender

Well lets compare what could have been if they stayed where they were to what they actually got.

STAY

#26 = OLB - Posluszny

#57 = DE - Abiamiri

#90 = RB - Hunt

or

#26 = DE - Spencer

#57 = OLB - Bradley

#90 = RB - Hunt

WITH TRADE

#36 = QB - Kolb

#57 = DE - Abiamiri

#87 = OLB - Bradley

#90 = RB - Hunt

#159 = ???

I don't know about you but I would rather have either of the first two then what they got. When is Kolb going to contribute to the Eagles? They basically took Kolb and a late 5th instead of a higher rated OLB or DE. I just don't get the Kolb pick at all. I can't even see him contributing for 2-3 years if at all.

Not busting chops, but this is exactly how I see it. It was a wasted move.

STAY

#26 = OLB - Posluszny

#57 = DE - Abiamiri

#90 = RB - Hunt

or

#26 = DE - Spencer

#57 = OLB - Bradley

#90 = RB - Hunt

WITH TRADE

#36 = QB - Kolb

#57 = DE - Abiamiri

#87 = OLB - Bradley

#90 = RB - Hunt

#159 = ???

we'll see what they have in mind...

they don't usually make headscratcher moves...

people scratch their heads..only because they don't know what the eagles are doing...

ala when they drafted Lewis, Brown and Shepherd in the same draft.....people thought they were nuts....

we'll see what they have in mind...

they don't usually make headscratcher moves...

people scratch their heads..only because they don't know what the eagles are doing...

ala when they drafted Lewis, Brown and Shepherd in the same draft.....people thought they were nuts....

Exactly, so ebartender can't understand picking Kolb so it MUST be a bad/wasted pick. Phillip Rivers was drafted in the 1st round and sat for 2 years. Was THAT a wasted pick? Please....give the kid a chance. I think he could be great in Reid's system.

P.S. Abiamiri will be a better DE in the pros than Spencer.

I like the Brown's move, if they had selected Quinn at 1.03 no one would've scoffed at it, maybe some would've said they could've traded down, but oh well. So now they don't have an '08 first, which they would've probably spent on a QB if they hadn't gotten one here. If they had traded their 08 1st and the 2nd rounder for 1.04 and taken Quinn would it be veiwed differently?

-DD21

Edited by digitaldan21

What that trade worked out to be:

The Pats trade their first (#28) this year for SF's first next year AND Randy Moss.

:D

I sure hope NE has at least one WR, that will lay a block for my boy Maroney. Stallworth and Moss are helpless in this area. Im not so sure Moss to NE is that big a deal. Dude is a stud no doubt, but just wait till he doesnt get the ball when he thought he was open. Guy will be a distraction, and is more selfish than Dillon was. NE improves with the additions they made, but I dont see them passing Indy or SD with these moves, and think they should have stayed pat with their picks and took D that could help them. Merriweatehr is a nice start, but they need 3 more starters on D, imo.

Exactly, so ebartender can't understand picking Kolb so it MUST be a bad/wasted pick. Phillip Rivers was drafted in the 1st round and sat for 2 years. Was THAT a wasted pick? Please....give the kid a chance. I think he could be great in Reid's system.

Biggest joke Ive seen on these boards in years. And also the most ignorant.

Victor Abiamiri

DE | (6'4", 267, 4.8) | NOTRE DAME

Scouts Grade: 79 Selected by: Philadelphia Eagles

Round: 2

Pick (Overall): 25(57)

View by: Round | Player | NCAA School | Position | NFL Team | Flag | All Ranked Players | NFL Draft History

You are signed into Insider and have access to the exclusive draft content below.

Strengths: Outstanding physique. Is tall, well-built and chiseled. Still has enough room on his frame to add 10 more pounds in the future. Displays explosive upper body power. He has long arms and strong hands. He can knock OT's back on their heels with his initial pop (see: USC OT Winston Justice in first series of 2005 game). Is a fluid athlete with very good change-of-direction skills. Displays the athleticism to occasionally drop into coverage when asked. He has good initial burst and adequate top-end speed as an edge rusher. Is a powerful tackler that continues to improve in terms of his ability to wrap-up in the open field. He is a hard worker and he continues to improve with more experience.

Weaknesses: Possesses adequate but not great speed. He plays too high at times and needs to show more consistency when taking on blockers. He seems to lack ideal instincts and occasionally will take too long to find the ball. Needs to play with more consistent leverage and do a better job of using his hands to keep off blocks. Durability isn't a huge issue but he did miss 2005 spring drills after suffering a leg injury.

Overall: Abiamiri appeared in all 12 games (five starts) as a true freshman in 2003 and finished the year with 22 total tackles, four tackles for loss, and one sack. In 2004, he saw action in every game (12), started one contest (Ohio State), and recorded 15 total tackles, six tackles for loss, and two sacks. Abiamiri started all 12 contests in 2005 and made 46 total tackles, 15 tackles for loss, eight sacks, and one forced fumble. In 2006, Abiamiri started all 13 games giving him 25 straight starts to end his career. He finished the season with 43 tackles, 15 tackles for loss, 10.5 sacks, and two forced fumbles.

Abiamiri steadily progressed throughout his career at Notre Dame. A situational pass rusher early on, he progressed to a fulltime starter's role as a junior in 2005 and had the best season of his career as a senior in 2006. He has upper-echelon natural tools and he looks the part of a potential Pro Bowler. The only thing he's missing physically is elite top-end speed. Also, while he was much more consistent as a senior, he still seems to lack ideal instincts. As a result, Abiamiri is a bit of a boom-or-bust prospect that should come off the 2007 draft board in the second-to-third round range.

Anthony Spencer

DE | (6'2", 261, 4.7) | PURDUE

Scouts Grade: 91 Selected by: Dallas Cowboys

Round: 1

Pick (Overall): 26(26)

View by: Round | Player | NCAA School | Position | NFL Team | Flag | All Ranked Players | NFL Draft History

You are signed into Insider and have access to the exclusive draft content below.

Strengths: An explosive up-the-field player. Displays very good first-step quickness and top-end speed. Also possesses closing burst to turn the corner as a perimeter pass rusher in the NFL. His motor never stopped running as a senior and it seems that the "light finally came on" in terms of his technique and recognition skills. He plays the run hard and will give great effort pursuing from the backside. Displays good strength for his size. He shows good catch-up speed and is a powerful hitter.

Weaknesses: Lacks ideal size; somewhat on the shorter side with just adequate bulk. Might struggle to get off of blocks as quickly versus bigger NFL lineman. He is quick and fast, but he doesn't possess great change-of-direction skills. He needs to continue to improve his array of pass rush moves. He will overextend at times and will take himself out of some running plays, as a result. He shows stiffness in his hips and will be limited in terms of dropping into coverage in the NFL.

Overall: Spencer arrived at Purdue in 2002 and was redshirted. In 2003 as a redshirt freshman, he tore some foot ligaments during spring practice which limited him early on but he then saw action in 10 of 13 games as a reserve defensive end and on special teams, posting six total tackles and 0.5 tackles for loss. Spencer won a starting spot for all 12 contests in 2004 and recorded 33 total tackles, 9.5 tackles for loss, 7.5 sacks, and three forced fumbles. In 2005, he once again started every game (11) for Purdue and registered 23 tackles including 7.5 for loss, three sacks, one fumble recovery, and three forced fumbles. In 14 games during the 2006 season, Spencer made 93 total tackles, 26.5 tackles for loss, 10.5 sacks, one fumble recovery, five forced fumbles, blocked one kick, and was named to the All-Big Ten First Team.

Spencer turned in a monster season as a senior in 2006. In fact, very few prospects improved their stock as much as Spencer did over the course of the last year. After combining for 17.5 tackles for loss and 10.5 sacks through his first three seasons, Spencer notched 26.5 tackles for loss and 10.5 sacks as a senior. While some consider him a 'tweener defensive end/outside linebacker, we're not convinced he's athletic enough to play linebacker in the NFL. His best fit most likely will be as a 4-3 defensive end in a one-gap scheme similar to the Colts'. Regardless, Spencer should come off the board late in the first or early in the second round.

* Player biographies are provided by Scouts Inc.

BTW the Qb is at best a 5th round pick, taken 3 rounds too early, and ahead of John beck who is twice the player he will ever be. Even if Kolb turns out to be a starter at some point, it will be 3 yrs down the road before McNabb is replacable, when Beck is already playing at a higher level and fringe pro-bowler. Not only did Philly not need a QB, they reached for one in round 2, and didnt even take the best one left. In fact it can be argued there were at least 3 better on the board when they took Kolb. Philly just set its franchise back 3 yrs after this weekends draft. They needed playmakers, and didnt add a single one. And I love it.

Biggest joke Ive seen on these boards in years. And also the most ignorant.

Victor Abiamiri

DE | (6'4", 267, 4.8) | NOTRE DAME

Scouts Grade: 79 Selected by: Philadelphia Eagles

Round: 2

Pick (Overall): 25(57)

Strengths: Outstanding physique. Is tall, well-built and chiseled. Still has enough room on his frame to add 10 more pounds in the future. Displays explosive upper body power. He has long arms and strong hands. He can knock OT's back on their heels with his initial pop (see: USC OT Winston Justice in first series of 2005 game). Is a fluid athlete with very good change-of-direction skills. Displays the athleticism to occasionally drop into coverage when asked. He has good initial burst and adequate top-end speed as an edge rusher. Is a powerful tackler that continues to improve in terms of his ability to wrap-up in the open field. He is a hard worker and he continues to improve with more experience.

Weaknesses: Possesses adequate but not great speed. He plays too high at times and needs to show more consistency when taking on blockers. He seems to lack ideal instincts and occasionally will take too long to find the ball. Needs to play with more consistent leverage and do a better job of using his hands to keep off blocks. Durability isn't a huge issue but he did miss 2005 spring drills after suffering a leg injury.

Overall: Abiamiri appeared in all 12 games (five starts) as a true freshman in 2003 and finished the year with 22 total tackles, four tackles for loss, and one sack. In 2004, he saw action in every game (12), started one contest (Ohio State), and recorded 15 total tackles, six tackles for loss, and two sacks. Abiamiri started all 12 contests in 2005 and made 46 total tackles, 15 tackles for loss, eight sacks, and one forced fumble. In 2006, Abiamiri started all 13 games giving him 25 straight starts to end his career. He finished the season with 43 tackles, 15 tackles for loss, 10.5 sacks, and two forced fumbles.

Abiamiri steadily progressed throughout his career at Notre Dame. A situational pass rusher early on, he progressed to a fulltime starter's role as a junior in 2005 and had the best season of his career as a senior in 2006. He has upper-echelon natural tools and he looks the part of a potential Pro Bowler. The only thing he's missing physically is elite top-end speed. Also, while he was much more consistent as a senior, he still seems to lack ideal instincts. As a result, Abiamiri is a bit of a boom-or-bust prospect that should come off the 2007 draft board in the second-to-third round range.

Anthony Spencer

DE | (6'2", 261, 4.7) | PURDUE

Scouts Grade: 91 Selected by: Dallas Cowboys

Round: 1

Pick (Overall): 26(26)

Strengths: An explosive up-the-field player. Displays very good first-step quickness and top-end speed. Also possesses closing burst to turn the corner as a perimeter pass rusher in the NFL. His motor never stopped running as a senior and it seems that the "light finally came on" in terms of his technique and recognition skills. He plays the run hard and will give great effort pursuing from the backside. Displays good strength for his size. He shows good catch-up speed and is a powerful hitter.

Weaknesses: Lacks ideal size; somewhat on the shorter side with just adequate bulk. Might struggle to get off of blocks as quickly versus bigger NFL lineman. He is quick and fast, but he doesn't possess great change-of-direction skills. He needs to continue to improve his array of pass rush moves. He will overextend at times and will take himself out of some running plays, as a result. He shows stiffness in his hips and will be limited in terms of dropping into coverage in the NFL.

Overall: Spencer arrived at Purdue in 2002 and was redshirted. In 2003 as a redshirt freshman, he tore some foot ligaments during spring practice which limited him early on but he then saw action in 10 of 13 games as a reserve defensive end and on special teams, posting six total tackles and 0.5 tackles for loss. Spencer won a starting spot for all 12 contests in 2004 and recorded 33 total tackles, 9.5 tackles for loss, 7.5 sacks, and three forced fumbles. In 2005, he once again started every game (11) for Purdue and registered 23 tackles including 7.5 for loss, three sacks, one fumble recovery, and three forced fumbles. In 14 games during the 2006 season, Spencer made 93 total tackles, 26.5 tackles for loss, 10.5 sacks, one fumble recovery, five forced fumbles, blocked one kick, and was named to the All-Big Ten First Team.

Spencer turned in a monster season as a senior in 2006. In fact, very few prospects improved their stock as much as Spencer did over the course of the last year. After combining for 17.5 tackles for loss and 10.5 sacks through his first three seasons, Spencer notched 26.5 tackles for loss and 10.5 sacks as a senior. While some consider him a 'tweener defensive end/outside linebacker, we're not convinced he's athletic enough to play linebacker in the NFL. His best fit most likely will be as a 4-3 defensive end in a one-gap scheme similar to the Colts'. Regardless, Spencer should come off the board late in the first or early in the second round.

* Player biographies are provided by Scouts Inc.

BTW the Qb is at best a 5th round pick, taken 3 rounds too early, and ahead of John beck who is twice the player he will ever be. Even if Kolb turns out to be a starter at some point, it will be 3 yrs down the road before McNabb is replacable, when Beck is already playing at a higher level and fringe pro-bowler. Not only did Philly not need a QB, they reached for one in round 2, and didnt even take the best one left. In fact it can be argued there were at least 3 better on the board when they took Kolb. Philly just set its franchise back 3 yrs after this weekends draft. They needed playmakers, and didnt add a single one. And I love it.

Not sure how my opinion could be regarded as the biggest joke and most ignorant thing on the board in years, it's just my opinion. I'm sure you and scout's inc are correct every time. We'll see.

Not sure how my opinion could be regarded as the biggest joke and most ignorant thing on the board in years, it's just my opinion. I'm sure you and scout's inc are correct every time. We'll see.

You dont have a clue about either player, just lipped off about the one the Birds took over the Boys. That makes it ignornant. If you watched both of these guys play, its obvious which has the skills to exceed at the next level, and which will be an average rotation guy. And luckily for Dallas, we wont have to worry about Abiamiri

Edited by Sgt. Ryan

:D:D

Uh, yeah, they set their franchise back three years by drafting a QB with their 2nd round pick.

:tup::doh:

Oh wait, you're a Cowboys fan...now I get it. :D

They didnt address their needs. Dawkins is aging and they just lost M Lewis in FA. Trotter is still this teams MLB, and the outside LBs are average at best. The back 7 of their defense will get exposed big time next yr. They should have addressed these needs, which is why they set their franchise back. has nothing to do with the bust-reach in round 2. That is just icing on the cake for the F grade I give this team.

Edited by Sgt. Ryan

Don't they already have a QB who is great in Reid's system?

What is the difference between me saying Kolb was a wasted pick and you saying that Abiamiri will be better then Spencer? My question is why draft a QB that high now? The only reason I can think of is because either the Eagles aren't happy with Donovan's recovery or they are thinking of moving McNabb within the next year or two. If McNabb is here for the next 3-4 years then yes, Kolb was a wasted pick. The Eagles had more pressing needs to fill in the draft like LB or DB. Dawkins, Spikes & Trotter are 30+. They have maybe 2-3 years left at the most. Considine is horrible. Their back up CB is Will James. They could have drafted DBs or LBs that could help now on SPT and become starters in a couple years. Kolb will not help for at least 2-3 years and that is if McNabb is gone. Of course no one knows how any players will pan out so this is all merely opinions. I'm just not sure why your opinion that Kolb was a good pick is any more valid then my opinion that he was a bad pick.