[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Steal of the Draft

Sgt. Ryan

LB Brandon Siler - 7th round to San Diego. easily a 3rd round talent, that slipped for who knows why. Great pick to one day replace Donnie Edwards inside the Bolts 3-4 D.

Brandon Siler

ILB | (6'1", 241, 4.62) | FLORIDA

Scouts Grade: 76 Selected by: San Diego Chargers

Round: 7

Pick (Overall): 30(240)

View by: Round | Player | NCAA School | Position | NFL Team | Flag | All Ranked Players | NFL Draft History

You are signed into Insider and have access to the exclusive draft content below.

Strengths: Aggressive, has a quick first step and makes plays at the line of scrimmage. Plays with a mean streak and is big enough to hold ground against most fullbacks when stays low to the ground. Shown above-average upper body strength and flashes the ability to shed blocks quickly. Uses hands to protect legs and generally does a nice job of fighting off cut blocks. Plays with a good motor and always seems to be around the ball at the end of the play. Displays good straight-line speed, closes fairly well and flashes the ability to deliver big hits. Wraps up upon contact and is a sound open field tackler when gets into good position. Times blitzes well, flashes the ability to run through blockers in the backfield and takes the shortest path to the quarterback.

Weaknesses: Doesn't always take sound pursuit angles, has problems locating the ball carrier despite size and gets caught out of position at times. Fast on a straight-line but lacks ideal athleticism. He's a bit stiff in the hips and loses too much time in transition when changing directions. He lacks ideal range in zone coverage and isn't fluid enough to match up versus quicker NFL running backs man-to-man. Lacks ideal ball skills and isn't a playmaker in coverage.

Overall: Siler appeared in all 12 games (six starts)as a true freshman in 2004 and finished with 77 total tackles, 9.5 tackles for loss, and two sacks, earning SEC Freshman of the Year honors (coaches). In 2005 he started all 12 games and recorded 64 total tackles, nine tackles for loss, four sacks, seven fumble recoveries, and one safety. Siler started 13 of 14 games in 2006, missing the Western Carolina game because of a knee injury, and registered 77 total tackles, 10 tackles for loss, three sacks, one forced fumble, and one fumble recovery, earning him third team All-American honors (AP) and second team All-SEC accolades (coaches and media).

Siler is an effective interior run stuffer who plays with a mean streak and never stops working. However, while he's fast on a straight-line, he doesn't display great agility when working laterally and he's a bit sluggish in coverage. Simply put; Siler is a better football player than athlete and he will need to overcome his lack of ideal physical tools in order to earn a starting job in the NFL. We think he's capable of doing so, which is why he grades out as a third round prospect.

* Player biographies are provided by Scouts Inc.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was wondering what the hell happened to him. I stopped watching the draft during the 6th. I'm surprised the Jags didn't draft him for more depth. I had to look back on the previous rounds to see if maybe I just missed the pick. 7th round. I'd say SD got a steal and if he plays with a chip on his shoulder, look out.

Good Luck with all that crap. :D

im glad yer having a laugh...because me and the legions of patriotmaniacs will be having the last one

im guessing you dont approve of this move? lol doesnt shock me...the patriots suck and dont do anything right according to you....and really who cares...because this current league cant hold a flame to the way it was in the 90's right? you know when your cowboys had their little dynasty

im glad yer having a laugh...because me and the legions of patriotmaniacs will be having the last one

im guessing you dont approve of this move? lol doesnt shock me...the patriots suck and dont do anything right according to you....and really who cares...because this current league cant hold a flame to the way it was in the 90's right? you know when your cowboys had their little dynasty

The patriots had a chance to upgrade their pourus defense. Im sorry but a aging A Thomas and Merriweather aint nearly enough. They could have taken a CB or LB with their 2nd 1st and done alot more good than trading for Sf pick next yr, and Moss. This teams draft was a disaster. And do you really think Moss is enough to stop P Manning and the Colts offense. Last I checked he was a WR, and didnt this team just bring in 3 WR in FA, giving a 2nd and 7th for one of them. BTW, A Thomas certainly wasnt able to get it done for Balt last yr and he played on a Complete D, not some joke of one like NE currently has. Scoring was never the problem in NE, and I doubt they score much more next yr than this. Defense will be the problem, yet again. Wise up sherlock.

The patriots had a chance to upgrade their pourus defense. Im sorry but a aging A Thomas and Merriweather aint nearly enough. They could have taken a CB or LB with their 2nd 1st and done alot more good than trading for Sf pick next yr, and Moss. This teams draft was a disaster. And do you really think Moss is enough to stop P Manning and the Colts offense. Last I checked he was a WR, and didnt this team just bring in 3 WR in FA, giving a 2nd and 7th for one of them. BTW, A Thomas certainly wasnt able to get it done for Balt last yr and he played on a Complete D, not some joke of one like NE currently has. Scoring was never the problem in NE, and I doubt they score much more next yr than this. Defense will be the problem, yet again. Wise up sherlock.

lolol

the most flagrant, bitter, patriots hater on the internet

i know i know...you know more than bill belichick and the personnel guys

cant wait till october when they kick the everliving **** out of the cowboys

LB Brandon Siler - 7th round to San Diego. easily a 3rd round talent, that slipped for who knows why. Great pick to one day replace Donnie Edwards inside the Bolts 3-4 D.

Brandon Siler

ILB | (6'1", 241, 4.62) | FLORIDA

Scouts Grade: 76 Selected by: San Diego Chargers

:D A.J. strikes again!! :D

lolol

the most flagrant, bitter, patriots hater on the internet

i know i know...you know more than bill belichick and the personnel guys

cant wait till october when they kick the everliving **** out of the cowboys

I school the sh*t out of you on a regular basis. that is more impressive than anything Belicheck has done outside of staying with brady when Bledsoe became healthy. Problem is now, Indy and Peyton has solved all the tricks Bill brings, and now its smooth sailing for the colts in this matchup for yrs. Hope you enjoyed the titles, cause there wont be any others any time soon. BTW, I cant wait till October either, when Spencer takes out brady and the Pats season is officially over.

Whats sad is Bill knows he cant win now, unless he takes on risks like Moss. Everyone keeps applauding this guy today, I dont get it. Whats Moss going to do to the moral of the offense, and whats going to happen when he complains to Brady, and Brady starts listening to him. You dont think the other WRs are going to sulk. The Pats didnt need moss, they added at least 2 nice WR, and Brady makes the avg WR look good, see last yr. Moss is a cancer, and this team is like every other that thinks they can change him. And before you bring up Dillon, Dillon wanted out of Cincy, as he was sick of losing, and he never gave up on his team like Moss has done now with 2 teams Minn when he walks off the field before the game was over, and Oak, where he completely gave up last yr. NE needed defense help in this draft, and instead of getting it, other than Merriweather who may or may not help, they added a 4th WR to their team this yr, and brought in an aging LB like A Thomas. Why not take the CB out of Arkansas with the other 1st rounder, or trade down at that spot and get 2 more starters on D in round 2. To completely drop out of the draft after 1 pick until round 5, and then load up on the crap they added today. Insane. Philly and NE both let their ego get in the way this weekend, and it will cost both teams next yr. The draft is the improve needs on their team. neither team did this. :D

Edited by Sgt. Ryan

Why not take the CB out of Arkansas with the other 1st rounder, or trade down at that spot and get 2 more starters on D in round 2.

:D 2 starters on D? In the 2nd round of this below-aberage draft? Please, tell me who was in round 2 that was going to start for the Pats?

DL- Seymour, Wilfork, Warren

LB- Thomas, Bruschi, Vrabel, Colvin

DB- Samuel, Hobbs, Harisson, Wilson(may move to CB), Hawkins, Merriweather

Exactly who are the two round 2 guys better than what's posted above?

whats funny is...the patriots...starved for talent, youth, and depth at the linebacker position according to sgt ryan...passed on this steal of the draft....and they get as much, and as good as any, info on florida players

lol@saying the pats should have taken chris houston...merriweather is as good of a corner as houston

whats funny is...the patriots...starved for talent, youth, and depth at the linebacker position according to sgt ryan...passed on this steal of the draft....and they get as much, and as good as any, info on florida players

lol@saying the pats should have taken chris houston...merriweather is as good of a corner as houston

Merriweather is a safety, not a cornerback. That said, I am also curious to know who were the two Round 2 prospects that NE could have plugged in as starters....? :D

Merriweather is a safety, not a cornerback. That said, I am also curious to know who were the two Round 2 prospects that NE could have plugged in as starters....? :D

merriweather has started several games at corner for the canes...he has good corner skills...and could play either...many scouts said his corner skills were as good as many of the top corner prospects

merriweather has started several games at corner for the canes...he has good corner skills...and could play either...many scouts said his corner skills were as good as many of the top corner prospects

Yeah, what you said is true but I think it'd be foolish to not use him as a safety, especially with the Pats. This guy is a free safety, plain and simple.

Hmmm, you mean NE drafted someone with a little position flexibility? :D

Just add him to the list. If Samuel decides to hold out and not report till week 10, I wouldn't be surprised to see him play CB. Then again, if Harisson is still not able to play at full strength next year, he could play S. I like that pick a lot.