Sign in to follow this  
Chavez

Weird computer problem

My CD drive is working for CD-Roms, but my Windows Media Player and Nero programs won't detect music/blank CDs. :D

Any solutions?

try updating your drives firmware here

http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_all.php

if that doesn't cure it , shut off pc , unplug psu power cord, detach ide cable and boot up

power down again after your OS loads , reconnect ide cable and turn on

If that didn't fix your problem , your laser may need cleaned or replaced.

My CD drive is working for CD-Roms, but my Windows Media Player and Nero programs won't detect music/blank CDs. :D

Any solutions?

I have the same problem, even when I tell Windows to automatically play a music CD, it just ignores it until I go in to Explorer and start the CD manually.

I just haven't bothered to fix it.

A new one is prolly $45. My CD burner would work, but it took a high-end CD player to play them, as it would skip on cheaper CD players. Bought a DVD/CD burner for cheap and just added it so I have two CD drives. You didn't say if this was a laptop, but if it is, it'll be a lot more expensive.

I have the same problem, even when I tell Windows to automatically play a music CD, it just ignores it until I go in to Explorer and start the CD manually.

I just haven't bothered to fix it.

Do you have autoplay turned off?

Do you have autoplay turned off?

No. I specifically turned it on, telling Windows to automatically start Media Player when a music CD is inserted. On opening Explorer, it recognizes that it's a music CD but just doesn't do anything with it.

I'd bet its a registry setting. There's a box that comes up asking what you want to do with a specific type of CD when inserted. It's possible that you checked the do-nothing option in that box.

I'd bet its a registry setting. There's a box that comes up asking what you want to do with a specific type of CD when inserted. It's possible that you checked the do-nothing option in that box.

I think you're right.....I recall something along these lines bugging me a while back, probably when I was doing some burning or photo uploading. I'll check it out tonight. :D

Maybe I need to restate this - CD-Roms are just fine, so obviously the CD player works.

Music CDs that I am attempting to play/rip/burn through either Windows Media Player or Nero do NOT play. It would appear the issue is somewhere in my media players.

So I've tried literally everything and nothing makes Autoplay come back. I can only conclude my CD / DVD drive is not properly reporting the CD type.

Microsoft even makes an Autoplay Problem Fixer just for fixing these issues. It looks like my drive is shot as far as reporting that a new disc has been loaded, as I suspected.

Maybe I need to restate this - CD-Roms are just fine, so obviously the CD player works.

Music CDs that I am attempting to play/rip/burn through either Windows Media Player or Nero do NOT play. It would appear the issue is somewhere in my media players.

Can you at least find the CD in Nero?

If so, can't you just copy and paste for the burn/rip?