[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Do NOT get VISTA if you can wait

DMD

Unless there's an overriding business reason, no company that I am aware of is bothering with Vista until at least SP1, which may be out sooner than expected. We will not go Vista until at least the back end of 2008, most likely 2009. If someone identifies a business need, we'll assess individual cases.

I assume SP1 is Vista upgrade? If so, when are they talking about releasing that version?

I assume SP1 is Vista upgrade? If so, when are they talking about releasing that version?

Microsoft periodically release service packs (SPs) for their operating systems and applications. These are full of bug fixes, adjustments, sometimes new features, security enhancements and so on. No-one I know in a business arena ever installs any new OS from Microsoft until at least SP1. I don't know when SP1 will be out but I would bet sometime around August or September.

I won a free copy of Vista in the huddle survivor pool from DO Jaded, it is still sitting in the unopened package in my computer cabinet.

I will be waiting for a while before it get installed.

We still have some 2K Server at work. Very solid.

Our only problem with it is that certain ActiveX controls won't work on it.

Of course... those same controls won't work on Vista either. It's causing us some problems. If only our developers would port it into a Mozilla plugin, we'd be all set.

I don't believe we have thoroughly discussed this "get up early at 10 AM" statement. :D

Since the season is kind of underway for me, I feel like I should try to get up earlier to take more advantage of the day. No more "up at the crack of lunch" for me!

Largely because I have MS-Office 2007 Professional with Access. And that is NOT backward compatible...

Access? What the Frack are you using that pile of sheet for? So many FREE database engines out there that are 10 times faster.

Try MySQL or one of the many different products out there.

Also, a few things about Microsoft:

-NEVER buy ANYTHING of theirs that is 1st run or brand new.

-Do not trust their version numbering. It is always in line with marketing, not the product's version. Their 'java' product went from 1.0 to 6.0 overnight since that is where their other Visual Studio stuff was. 6.0 was a minor upgrade over 1.0 and should have been 1.1, but they just slapped the 6.0 on it.

-Microsoft has their hands in everything. Their products work well with their products (Word -> Excel and such). Never expect them to do anything with a product they do not own.

-Open Source - Free and widely supported, AND it runs on many operating systems.

My new Gateway laptop with Vista will disconnect from the wireless internet connection if I don't use it for a while. The only way I can get it back is to restart the computer. It's damn frustrating!! :D

Have the same problem. Also, have issues with 'Sleep' mode. Overall, it's been huge pain in the arse. :D