[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Barlow meets w/Steelers

Copeman

Irish's eyes are smiling. :D

Well, my haters used to compare me to Ugly Tuna, now Bushwacked is comparing me to Irish. Is that a step up or a step down ? :D

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah..no doubt ...the Steelers have different people running things this year and things will be different. I also expect Parker to be a little more involved in the passing game.

I am really hoping they do open up their passing game this year as a Santonio Holmes owner in a number of Dynasties. what is the word on him this year Menudo?..not to change the subject.

Santonio Holmes showed steady improvement throughout the season, which is what you hope for out of a rookie receiver. The Steelers opening up the passing game, as I expect them to, should lead to continued improvement, but, a lot of it depends on whether we see the 2006 version of Ben Roethlisberger or the guy that we saw in the two years prior.

Santonio Holmes showed steady improvement throughout the season, which is what you hope for out of a rookie receiver. The Steelers opening up the passing game, as I expect them to, should lead to continued improvement, but, a lot of it depends on whether we see the 2006 version of Ben Roethlisberger or the guy that we saw in the two years prior.

It also depends on Holmes attitude. I think the guy is the next star WR but he has the attitude to draw suspensions.

It also depends on Holmes attitude. I think the guy is the next star WR but he has the attitude to draw suspensions.

Well, after an obvious rocky start with the law, teammates and coaches cited nothing but hard work and a great attitude throughout the season. Who knows if that is simply media-speak or the truth, but, there were no evident problems on or off the field. Also, both charges against him were later dropped (though they still call into question his character) With Ward aging, the Steelers need Holmes to continue to develop into a good receiver.

I'm just wary of losing the goalline carries on my team, which I believe is a real possibility given that Barlow did well in goalline situations last year. Parker would have done well too had he only held onto the ball in those situations, but those 5 fumbles may not bode well for his fantasy numbers this year.

Edited by Crazysight

I don't know why so many people seem to be against signing Barlow. It is not as if they are signing him in to be a starter. He will be a back up and possibly a goal line back, not an every down back. I think it is a good move to sign someone to add depth to a position where there currently is none.

Barlow was the softest 230lb+ back I've ever seen. Barlow also handles the ball worst than Gore ever did when he was with the niners, so don't be disappointed if he coughes up a few. Before Barlow lost his job his weaknesses were tapdancing in the backfield which caused losses, poor ball handling, poor pass catching, and the worst knock=a poor team attitude. I'm not a Barlow hater, I just didn't like what he brought to our team when he was given an opportunity so it made Gore's efforts that more obvious.

I figure that Pit is Barlow's last shot in the nfl so maybe the home crowd can turn things around for him.

Barlow was the softest 230lb+ back I've ever seen. Barlow also handles the ball worst than Gore ever did when he was with the niners, so don't be disappointed if he coughes up a few. Before Barlow lost his job his weaknesses were tapdancing in the backfield which caused losses, poor ball handling, poor pass catching, and the worst knock=a poor team attitude. I'm not a Barlow hater, I just didn't like what he brought to our team when he was given an opportunity so it made Gore's efforts that more obvious.

I figure that Pit is Barlow's last shot in the nfl so maybe the home crowd can turn things around for him.

I am not saying by any means that Barlow is a great back. I am just stating that he would provide some depth at the RB position. The Steelers currently have Parker then Davenport and their 3rd back is John Kuhn. With Davenport's history of injury I would feel more comfortable with Barlow on the roster.

I agree with you that his next team could be a "last shot" for Barlow. It would be worth a 1 yr deal for the Steelers to sign him. They would probably get him pretty cheap because I don't think there are a lot of teams knocking on his door. He has also been working out in the off season at the Pitt Panthers practice facility which is joined to the Steelers practice facility. I am betting that the Steelers staff have gotten a really good look at his workouts.

Maybe none of you realize that, although Parker had an excellent overall season last year, he fumbled 5 times within the red-zone. And, of course the year they won the SuperBowl, they had a goal-line back (of course, last year's debacle really had nothing to do with Willie, but had to do with Big Ben and the lack of Steelers D. Parker certainly held his own). But that is why I'm concerned when I hear that the Steelers are looking at a guy like Barlow.

I haven't heard of any signing though, so hopefully they will keep it that way.

I'm just wary of losing the goalline carries on my team, which I believe is a real possibility given that Barlow did well in goalline situations last year. Parker would have done well too had he only held onto the ball in those situations, but those 5 fumbles may not bode well for his fantasy numbers this year.

None of us realize it because it simply isn't true. I'm not sure where you got that information. Parker did not lose 5 fumbles in the redzone last year. He lost 2, one each in the last 2 games of the season, on decent gains towards the goaline. I would call it a mild concern at best.

Here are Parker's fumbles this year and where they occurred.

vs. Kansas City Own 22 - Lost

vs. Kansas City Own 43 - Recovered

vs. Atlanta Own 23 - Lost

vs. Denver, Broncos 25 - Recovered

vs. Cleveland, Browns 41 - Lost

vs. Baltimore, Ravens 3 - Lost (It was an 8 yard run starting at the 11)

vs. Cincy, Bengals 2 - Lost (It was a 7 yard run starting at the 9)

Oh OK. I was going off of a report I remembered reading a while back. I just did a search and I'm thinking that maybe it was this one but that I had misinterpreted it:

"RB Willie Parker carried 37 times for 134 yards and two touchdowns in Week 17 against Cincinnati.

Remember when there were doubts about Fast Willie's durability as a feature back? Parker finished the season with three huge games in the last month and racked up 1,716 total yards and 15 touchdowns on 368 touches. However, he coughed up his fifth fumble of the season at the goal line, nearly killing another Steelers win with a red-zone turnover."

I did read that he struggled with fumbles at the goalline last year, but I don't know how many of those 7 overall fumbles were in short-yardage situations.

Edited by Crazysight

Oh OK. I was going off of a report I remembered reading a while back. I just did a search and I'm thinking that maybe it was this one but that I had misinterpreted it:

"RB Willie Parker carried 37 times for 134 yards and two touchdowns in Week 17 against Cincinnati.

Remember when there were doubts about Fast Willie's durability as a feature back? Parker finished the season with three huge games in the last month and racked up 1,716 total yards and 15 touchdowns on 368 touches. However, he coughed up his fifth fumble of the season at the goal line, nearly killing another Steelers win with a red-zone turnover."

I did read that he struggled with fumbles at the goalline last year, but I don't know how many of those 7 overall fumbles were in short-yardage situations.

Fair enough, I can see where that quote could be taken wrong. The fact is that Willie Parker actually did very well in short yardage and goal-line situations. He doesn't look like your typical short yardage guy, but, he was effective with it last year.

I'll have to double-check, but, when I looked last night, I don't think any of his fumbles were in short yardage situations. 7 fumbles is a bit high, but, not 'alarming'

Well the last two that were lost were in short yardage situations at any rate, as they were from his opponeents 3 and 2 yard line.

http://fantasyfootball.usatoday.com/conten...ort=nfl&id=2957

"Initially coming in, I had a perception of him as a perimeter runner. But...the more tape I watched," Tomlin said, "he's capable of hurting you in a variety of ways." Parker scored 16 times but struggled with goal-line fumbles last season and is expected to face competition for that role."

Edited by Crazysight

Well the last two that were lost were in short yardage situations at any rate, as they were from his opponeents 3 and 2 yard line.

http://fantasyfootball.usatoday.com/conten...ort=nfl&id=2957

"Initially coming in, I had a perception of him as a perimeter runner. But...the more tape I watched," Tomlin said, "he's capable of hurting you in a variety of ways." Parker scored 16 times but struggled with goal-line fumbles last season and is expected to face competition for that role."

No, they weren't short yardage runs.

On the one where he fumbled at the 3, the play started at the 11 and he fumbled after an 8 yard gain.

On the one where he fumbled at the 2, the play started at the 9 and he fumbled after a 7 yard gain.

However, I think we are on the same page. His fumbling is a minor issue, but, not a major concern. He also performed well in short yardage situations, so, I don't see any reason for them to make the change other than he doesn't 'look' like your prototypical big, short yardage runner. Parker is short, but he certainly isn't skinny. He is no stranger to the weight room.

Hey Menudo, does Nate Washington have any value in a dynasty league? I don't watch Pitt much.

Well, he is talented, so, he has some value in a dynasty league. However, he will be a #3 at best this year, and probably a #4 behind Hines Ward, Santonio Holmes, & Cedric Wilson. However, with Ward getting up an age, he could be a decent sleeper to stash away in your dynasty leagues. He has shown great physical skills, but, still needs to work on his hands, as he drops to many balls. The potential is there though. With the new Steelers coaching staff, it is yet to be seen if they become more of a passing team.

I know that is nothing definitive, but, it is the best I can do.

Barlow signs with Steelers

Thursday, May 10, 2007

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers this afternoon signed veteran running back Kevan Barlow to a one-year contract that will pay him $595,000 plus a $40,000 roster bonus.

Barlow, who played for Pitt and Peabody High School, was released this year for salary cap reasons by the New York Jets, who acquired him last August from San Francisco for a fourth-round draft choice. Barlow played his first five seasons with the 49ers, who drafted him in the third round in 2001.

Barlow is Pitt's seventh-leading career rusher with 2,438 yards.

Barlow signs with Steelers

Thursday, May 10, 2007

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers this afternoon signed veteran running back Kevan Barlow to a one-year contract that will pay him $595,000 plus a $40,000 roster bonus.

Barlow, who played for Pitt and Peabody High School, was released this year for salary cap reasons by the New York Jets, who acquired him last August from San Francisco for a fourth-round draft choice. Barlow played his first five seasons with the 49ers, who drafted him in the third round in 2001.

Barlow is Pitt's seventh-leading career rusher with 2,438 yards.

As a Steelers fan, I'm pretty happy about this. I wanted them to take a RB in the 2nd day of the draft, but, Barlow will be more ready than anyone we could have taken then. Obviously his career hasn't gone the way he wanted in recent years, but, he makes me feel a bit better about our situation if Parker would go down. For the price, this was a great move.

Edited by Menudo

OMG! Time to trade FWP away. Barlow is going to steal hugh carries and goal line opportunities. Everyone, especially in Outraged and 32 Homers, stay away from FWP this year. Poison.

:D