[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Legit or bogus?

H8tank

Some good commentary on this from some other message board...

I'm not sure how state laws vary, but I think in most cases, if a public health official has reasonable cause to enter a property, they can - without warrant - enter and inspect.

That would surprise me. LEOs need a warrant with reasonable cause.

I did not watch the whole video, but kudos to the property owner for sticking it to 'em. :D

Edited by Jimmy Neutron

Never ceases to amaze me how people can get all bent out of shape about something like this. The video guy is clearly a complete nut and apparently was dumping raw sewage into the water table. The sewage showed up in the neighbors well. :D

Stupid old fart.

That would surprise me. LEOs need a warrant with reasonable cause.

I did not watch the whole video, but kudos to the property owner for sticking it to 'em. :D

Law enforcement like police/sheriff, yes. Health/building inspectors, not so sure.

Edited by darin3

Well, I'd be curious to know where the law stands on this. Certainly the cop's "Well if you have nothing to hide" line of reasoning is laughable however.

Honestly, I'm surprised that the Health Inspector didn't bother to cite whatever ordinance gives her the right to enter his property. Not that she'd have to, mind you, and if the guy was a dick to her the day before, I could understand that she didn't show him that courtesy.

I'm sure that with respect to my restaurant, I signed something when I applied for my health permit that said they didn't need to provide me a written warrant to investigate a complaint or certainly do a routine inspection. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a similar clause that one signs when building a structure and my guess is also that that waiver of private property rights is transferred with the sale of said structure.

Once again, just speculating.

I'm sure that with respect to my restaurant, I signed something when I applied for my health permit that said they didn't need to provide me a written warrant to investigate a complaint or certainly do a routine inspection. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a similar clause that one signs when building a structure and my guess is also that that waiver of private property rights is transferred with the sale of said structure.

As far as I know this is correct.

The owner might have been acting wrongly, but I'd love to know the follow-up to that video.

My daughter and I were clowning around one night a couple of years ago. I accused her of Parental Abuse, picked up the phone, said I'm calling 911, and by mistake hit the speed dial button for 911! :D

I hung up before they answered, but 5 secs. later the operator called back. I told her it was a mistake and apologized. 5 minutes later I see a guy looking through our front window. Yup, it was a cop. He rang the doorbell, I answered it. He asked if all was OK and I said yes. He then asked (key word) if he could come in and see for himself. I let him in and after seeing my wife, daughter and myself in good shape, he left.

My point is he "ASKED" to come in. What would have happened if I said NO???? :D

The owner might have been acting wrongly, but I'd love to know the follow-up to that video.

My daughter and I were clowning around one night a couple of years ago. I accused her of Parental Abuse, picked up the phone, said I'm calling 911, and by mistake hit the speed dial button for 911! :D

I hung up before they answered, but 5 secs. later the operator called back. I told her it was a mistake and apologized. 5 minutes later I see a guy looking through our front window. Yup, it was a cop. He rang the doorbell, I answered it. He asked if all was OK and I said yes. He then asked (key word) if he could come in and see for himself. I let him in and after seeing my wife, daughter and myself in good shape, he left.

My point is he "ASKED" to come in. What would have happened if I said NO???? :D

someone called 911 and then hung up. he may have been able to come in stating that there was probable cause to believe something was amiss. It wouldn't be the first time in a domestic violence situation that the victim was afraid.

someone called 911 and then hung up. he may have been able to come in stating that there was probable cause to believe something was amiss. It wouldn't be the first time in a domestic violence situation that the victim was afraid.

That was my thinking also. His request was merely politeness and a demand was probably forth coming.

said I'm calling 911, and by mistake hit the speed dial button for 911!

When in denver at a friends house, I picked up his crappy cordless to call my bish... dial area code '918', but the one doubled keyed, I noticed the number as I hit CALL, and saw it was 911xxxxxxx, I immediatly hung up and redialed.

2 min later there is a BANG BANG BANG on the front door, two cops wanting to see everyone in the house.

They don't mess around with that 911 stuff.