Sign in to follow this  
ljbrun

Question for Keeper League veterans

My 1st year as commissioner, 2nd as a participant. :D

This is our league's 2nd season, so it's the 1st season where we have to declare keepers (2 keepers mandatory, declared on July 31st). We have one draft (no separate rookie draft).

How do you handle trades after Keeper Declaration Day? We didn't think of this question last season. :D

Do you allow them at all?

Allow trades of draft picks only?

Allow trades of keepers and/or draft picks?

Thanks guys I appreciate the input. There didn't seem to be any reason not to allow keeper and draft pick trades, but I wanted to make sure.

We always allow both. We also allow trades before keeper declaration involving players and/or picks. Allows teams to jockey for better keepers or to get some value out of players on their team that have keeper value to other teams.

Our draft for my keeper league is Labor Day weekend - We don't have to declare our keepers until the week before, so with that in mind we allow trades for potential keepers and draft picks all the way to the cut off. Then during the draft we allow for full on trading of all players and draft picks, just like in the NFL

Our draft for my keeper league is Labor Day weekend - We don't have to declare our keepers until the week before, so with that in mind we allow trades for potential keepers and draft picks all the way to the cut off. Then during the draft we allow for full on trading of all players and draft picks, just like in the NFL

Thanks again. Now that you've mentioned draft day trades...

We wanted to incorporate mid draft trades and that was one of the reasons we went with MFL. For those who do this type of trading, how much time to allocate for each pick? We allowed 2 minutes and that didn't feel like enough time to me (to try and negotiate/execute a mid draft trade) and since there were no trades executed during the draft, I suspect others found this to be the case as well.

If you are doing a live online draft, you will be hard pressed to find a good balance between having enough time to negotiate trades, but not having so much time as to force a very long draft. Assuming a 16-round draft, I would consider something like 5 minutes per pick for the first 3 rounds, 3 minutes per pick for rounds 4-6 and 2 minutes per pick for rounds 7 on.

You could also give each team say one or two "extensions", say for two minutes each, that they can use. I know in MFL the commish can pause the draft timer, so, if an owner wished to use an extension, the commish would have to pause the timer then give the owner a count down to when he would restart the timer.

Just a few thoughts.

...I would consider something like 5 minutes per pick for the first 3 rounds, 3 minutes per pick for rounds 4-6 and 2 minutes per pick for rounds 7 on.

You could also give each team say one or two "extensions", say for two minutes each, that they can use. I know in MFL the commish can pause the draft timer, so, if an owner wished to use an extension, the commish would have to pause the timer then give the owner a count down to when he would restart the timer.

Excellent ideas. I'll propose these to the group. Thanks!