[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

History is foundation of Pacman's appeal

spain

Monday, 05/07/07

History is foundation of Pacman's appeal

Letter says league never as strict in 300 previous cases

By JIM WYATT

Staff Writer

NFL players have been involved in nearly 300 incidents involving the law in the past seven years.

Not one — not even multiple offenders — ever received a one-year suspension from the league like Titans cornerback Pacman Jones did.

Jones is banking on that pre-cedent to reduce his suspension for conduct detrimental to the league, according to a copy of his appeal obtained by The Tennessean.

Jones' appeal claims the suspension is "unprecedented in its severity, given the League's historical treatment of offenses which are of similar or greater gravity."

In the 24-page document, addressed to Adolpho A. Birch III of the NFL's Labor Relations Counsel, Jones' attorneys list 21 pages of incidents, including 11 incidents involving Titans, from January 2000 to April 2007. Birch is the son of former Tennessee Supreme Court Chief Justice A.A. Birch Jr. and is a 1984 graduate of Father Ryan High.

'Conduct detrimental'

Jones is scheduled to meet with NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell on Friday, when his appeal will be heard. The document requests that the NFL designate an official representative, in addition to Goodell, to appear at the hearing to respond to questions regarding the past incidents involving NFL players, and what disciplinary action, if any, was imposed by the NFL.

Also, the document asks whether any of the incidents listed constitutes "conduct

detrimental to the integrity of, or public confidence in, the game of professional football.'' Those terms, used when Jones was suspended, are part of the league's collective bargaining agreement.

Officials from the NFL were not available for comment Sunday. Attorney Manny Arora and sports agent Michael Huyghue, who represent Jones, also could not be reached for comment on Sunday.

The reasons

According to the appeal, Goodell based his decision to suspend Jones on four incidents:

1) Feb. 6, 2006: Charged with obstruction of officers. (Pending);

2) Aug. 25, 2006: Charged with disorderly conduct and public intoxication (Deferred);

3) Feb. 6, 2006: Failure to report charged with obstruction of officers (Pending);

4) March 23, 2006: Failure to report charged with Josh Gordon possession (Dismissed).

There is no mention of Jones' alleged involvement in a triple shooting in Las Vegas in February. Police say Jones started the melee that led to a triple shooting at a strip club and recommended the district attorney file felony coercion, misdemeanor battery and misdemeanor threat to life charges. Jones never has commented publicly on the case, which remains under investigation.

The obstruction charge and Josh Gordon charge stem from incidents in Georgia. Jones isn't expected to be in court until at least September for the obstruction charge. His charge in August 2006 is related to an incident in Murfreesboro when he was arrested at a nightclub; a judge ruled Jones can get the charges dropped with six months of good behavior.

There's no doubt that of the charges listed above, none are as bad as felony obstruction of justice (actually, he was prolly the perp) in a still unsolved double homicide. What did the NFL give Ray Ray for that? The SB MVP Trophy.

He's got a point.

He hasnt done anything to justify a year long suspension. He hasnt been convicted of anything. He is simply being made an example of by the NFL who has all the sudden decided that the players were getting out of hand. The sentence should be reduced to 4 games, max!

He hasnt done anything to justify a year long suspension. He hasnt been convicted of anything. He is simply being made an example of by the NFL who has all the sudden decided that the players were getting out of hand. The sentence should be reduced to 4 games, max!

With that avy isnt this sort of like fishing with a spoon?

and that is what you get for beating us last year. :D:D

He's not being sentenced to jail. The NFL is a private organization and it's a civil matter. There is no presumption of innocence or innocent until proven guilty. Conduct detrimental to the league includes a conviction, but even just involved makes the NFL look bad. If it was a single incident, you get a pass. If it was a few, then maybe a 4 game suspension. 10 interviews with 5 arrests is a little much.

He is being made an example. Yes it sucks to be him. That's life. Mere mortals probably wouldn't get 10 chances in their 9-5 jobs.

He is simply being made an example of by the NFL who has all the sudden decided that the players were getting out of hand.

spain is absolutely correct here.

Pacman, along with the Bengals Henry (& soon the Falcons Vick, IMO), are wake up calls to the rest of todays NFL players, that their type of conduct will no longer be tolerated.

Goodell is the new sheriff in town & I don't think what Tags did, or did not do, as far as past suspensions go, is not going to cause Goodell to bat an eyelid for even a nano second, in regards to Pacman's appeal.

I think the only way Pacman plays this year, is if the NFLPA gets involved & an arbitrator rules in Pacman's favor. To be honest, I'm not sure that Upshaw even wants the NFLPA to have to step in for Pacman. He knows these players are running amok & probably doesn't want the negative publicity the NFLPA would generate by going to bat for Pacman.

Upshaw & the NFLPA also have a vested interest in the NFL's success & image.

Just look at what's become of the NBA. Stern put out feelers to hold another NBA All Star game in Vegas in the future & was summarily told to take his show somewhere else. You know you've got a problem league, when a city that makes it's money on conventions & hotel bookings tells you thanks, but no thanks.

Not saying it'll get that bad for the NFL, but if the kids playing today that are running amok, are allowed to continue their behavior with no serious consequences, what does it say to the next round of kids coming in?

Goodell almost has to nip it in the bud before it gets out of hand & I think the NFLPA goes along with it.

My .02 anyway. :D

Edited by Big Score 1

He's not being sentenced to jail. The NFL is a private organization and it's a civil matter. There is no presumption of innocence or innocent until proven guilty. Conduct detrimental to the league includes a conviction, but even just involved makes the NFL look bad. If it was a single incident, you get a pass. If it was a few, then maybe a 4 game suspension. 10 interviews with 5 arrests is a little much.

He is being made an example. Yes it sucks to be him. That's life. Mere mortals probably wouldn't get 10 chances in their 9-5 jobs.

+1

He doesn't want to be made the example, which is why he's appealing. He probably thinks it's better it should be someone who is a first time offender than a experienced thug like himself. I do not think Goodell or the union will cave in here but it will be interesting to see how this plays out. If it does happen to get reduced, I'd love to see the Titans cut him...and no one pick him up. Of course I am not that naive to believe it will happen, but there's always hoping).

Goodell has drawn the line in the sand.He's enacted a policy,and it starts now,so tough luck to you Mr.Jones and Mr. Henry.

I'm a Bengals fan and I have no problem with it.I think whining to daddy that your brother did the same thing and didn't get punished is pathetic.

I don't care what they do, as long as he doesn't play til week 11.

He should be gone for life. What employer would let you get away with half of what this idiot has done?

he is an NFL football player who is a recognizable figure and with that comes some responsibility to not embarass your emplyer and the league.

When will thses guys learn that they are not in the ghetto anymore and to act like normal citizens.

He should be gone for life. What employer would let you get away with half of what this idiot has done?

he is an NFL football player who is a recognizable figure and with that comes some responsibility to not embarass your emplyer and the league.

When will thses guys learn that they are not in the ghetto anymore and to act like normal citizens.

They won't. Coddling athletes begins in grade school when teachers give a failing kid a passing grade because he's the starting running back or whatever. It's systemic in our society. We are reaping what we have sown.

What happened to your avatar? :D

I've heard that part of his appeal is that he should be grandfathered into the new rules. I think that point has some merit. I'm sure the CBA has some sort of an elastic clause that allows them to change the rules when they are agreed upon by both sides of the table. While I don't agree with Pacman's actions, I do believe that he has a valid argument. If they NFL and NFLPA wanted to have a conduct clause in the contract, it should have been in the last CBA.

There's no doubt that of the charges listed above, none are as bad as felony obstruction of justice (actually, he was prolly the perp) in a still unsolved double homicide. What did the NFL give Ray Ray for that? The SB MVP Trophy.

He's got a point.

Very good info here.

That said, it is hard to muster a whole lot of sympathy for him.

I suppose, it's their business and they can do as they like. Anyone who doesn't have a problem with the fact that a significant amount of America's work force is subjected to what would amount to illegal search without probable cause if done by someone besides their boss should certainly have no problem with this.

I've heard that part of his appeal is that he should be grandfathered into the new rules. I think that point has some merit. I'm sure the CBA has some sort of an elastic clause that allows them to change the rules when they are agreed upon by both sides of the table. While I don't agree with Pacman's actions, I do believe that he has a valid argument. If they NFL and NFLPA wanted to have a conduct clause in the contract, it should have been in the last CBA.

Just a quick FYI,

As an end result of the TO fiasco in Philly, conduct clauses were specifically inserted into the new CBA.

The rules weren't changed. There is a very clear & concise conduct clause in the CBA, both the previous version and the recently signed extension. The conduct clause is just being enforced more rigorously.

Something else that people seem to be missing - the tougher code of conduct penalties have the full blessing of the NFLPA & the player reps.

Edited by Bronco Billy

The rules weren't changed. There is a very clear & concise conduct clause in the CBA, both the previous version and the recently signed extension. The conduct clause is just being enforced more rigorously.

Something else that people seem to be missing - the tougher code of conduct penalties have the full blessing of the NFLPA & the player reps.

Actually the rule on "Conduct Detrimental to the Team" was tweaked a bit.

A newer & more strict version of the "Conduct Detrimental to the Team" was inserted into the last CBA.

It even got the nickname of it being the "TO" clause, as it was drawn up to specifically address situations such as what happened between TO & Philly, during TO's last year there.

NFL's New Code Of Conduct

By introducing his new Code Of Conduct and suspending "Pacman" Jones for the entire 2007 season, Commissioner Goodell has sent the strong message that bad behavior in professional football will no longer be tolerated. Onion Sports runs down some of the particulars of the new code:

To discourage players from associating with known felons, the Bengals–Ravens games on Sept. 10 and Nov. 11 have been canceled, and neither team will be allowed to play the Raiders for the foreseeable future

Each team will be visited by an expert who will help players learn when hitting others will be rewarded and when it will be punished

If everyone knows a football player stabbed somebody but no one will admit to it, Goodell is willing to send the whole league to jail just to send a message

Players not participating in the Thanksgiving Day games must watch them at home while eating turkey with their families, instead of raping women and murdering people

If any player is found to be in possession or under the influence of illegal drugs, the NFL will not get mad, just disappointed—a penalty most players find 1,000 times worse

At least once a month, all players must show evidence of sharing and/or caring

Though a friend or relative's engagement should be celebrated, excessive celebration will be punishable by a $100,000 fine

Although the new conduct policy will be extremely stringent, players will be required to fabricate stories and boast about their potential for violence to maintain the NFL's street cred

Onion Sports put this out.... :D

He's got a point.

werd