[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Fitness gurus

Chavez

So I've started pedaling my tubby ass to and from work after being a lump all winter, and while I obviously need to get myself into a shape other than "round", my legs are just not keeping up with my cardio. It's <4 mi one way, and only mildly hilly, but my legs are just dead - they got nothin' after riding on T, W, and Th (too rainy on M).

Anyone have any prevention tips/cures? Stretching helps a little, but not much.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you eat or drink anything after you ride? A drink with some kind of protein/carb blend in it will help reduce fatigue. Don't know about you, but I have to stretch before and after any kind of exercise. Getting old sucks.

And, the obvious answer is that the more you ride, the less your legs will hurt. It just sucks getting to that point.

Do you eat or drink anything after you ride? A drink with some kind of protein/carb blend in it will help reduce fatigue.

I usually try to knock down a liter or so of water shortly afterwards. Is beer OK? :D

the obvious answer is that the more you ride, the less your legs will hurt. It just sucks getting to that point.

Yeah, I know that I've got at least another week before I start seeing progress - I just want to make sure I'm not overtraining from the get-go.

Other than plugging away at it, not sure what else to recommend. Stretching the calves, the thighs, and (especially for me) the glutes before and after tend to make a big difference. Water helps a bunch also.

My legs can handle about 3 days in a row of riding before they need a break (or just plain cramp up). Due to the lack of consistently sunny days this spring, I've only had one stretch where I did 2 days in a row (commute is 8 miles round trip) and admittedly, I only did the downhill parts, then caught the bus the rest of the way home both days.

admittedly, I only did the downhill parts, then caught the bus the rest of the way home both days.

:D Heart of a champion...

...plus the damn bus doesn't run a direct route for me between work and home. :D

I know what you mean. I jumped on my mountain bike for the first time in a few years last summer and I thought I was going to fall over when I got off. :D Strange, because I have always been able to walk 15-20 miles in a day with no ill effects. I think biking just uses muscles we don't normally use. :D

I don't think there's a silver bullet here other than stretching. Certainly you want to keep your electrolytes up (potassium mostly, 'cause we all get plenty of sodium and your body actually needs way more K than Na). Frankly, however, if you're just going 4 miles each way, that isn't likely the issue 'cause you're not out there long enough to really deplete your stores. In fact, I would caution you from using most workout drinks 'cause they have a lot of carbs and you're not really burning a ton at that distance. It takes a solid 1/2 hour of somewhat intense effort to really start depleting. Guessing you're at about 20 minutes of moderate effort. If you're not careful, you might end up taking on more carbs than you actually spend.

That distance is also not "pushing it". Rather, it is a very conservative distance to break in.

All I can prescribe is patience. Just make sure you stick to it. Within a week or two, you'll see a difference. Of course, make sure your bike is tuned up and your tires are up to their max psi.

The reason you are fatigued it pretty basic. You're out of shape, and you don't have enough energy. So, the solution is also quite simple: eat better, which will provide you with the fuel your body needs, and continue to excercise, which will help your body build up your stamina. :D

The reason you are fatigued it pretty basic. You're out of shape, and you don't have enough energy. So, the solution is also quite simple: eat better, which will provide you with the fuel your body needs, and continue to excercise, which will help your body build up your stamina. :D

Along these lines, if you aren't taking a quality men's multi-vitamin daily, try to do so.

Also, eat a couple of bananas a day. One soon after finishing each ride, and then on off days you can make it just one, whenever you like. Good recovery food.

dead legs are based on lactic acid build up

I don't think he has soreness, which would indeed be lactic acid build up. I think he's just fatigued, an out of shape fat manure if you will. That has nothing to do with lactic acid. He lacks stamina and a proper diet which is why he is fatiguing after doing very little. If he eats right, properly hydrates, and continues to excercise, he'll be Lance Armstrong in no time. :D

I don't think he has soreness, which would indeed be lactic acid build up. I think he's just fatigued, an out of shape fat manure if you will. That has nothing to do with lactic acid. He lacks stamina and a proper diet which is why he is fatiguing after doing very little. If he eats right, properly hydrates, and continues to excercise, he'll be Lance Armstrong in no time. :D

Yep, while I certainly agree that eating more bananas is a fine idea, we're not talking about the effects of sustained high effort exercise here.

beer, beer, beer and a little ganja never hurts either

I drank beer throughout my entire marathon trainings. Never cut back. I actually had 8 beers the day before my last marathon. You just have to be a little careful about hydrating yourself. :D Granted, it may not be the best marathon training, but it worked for me. :D

Just a little different thought, you may want to check what gears you are using while riding. Using the appropriate gears for uphill, flat, and downhill riding will relieve some of the tension in your muscles while still keeping your cardio workout rolling.

One more different thought. Is your bike set up right? I mean a lot of people, (adults), are riding a bike with the seat way to low. That seat should be high enough, (bike big enough), that on the down stroke you leg is almost completely straight.

This really does make a hugh difference.