[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Fitness gurus

Chavez

I don't normally listen to a headset, but this was a pretty straightforward ride in a low-traffic area, at a low-traffic time, on a low-traffic day. I doubt I'll use it for anything other than trails, mainly.

As far as the legality of it, the cop who pulls over this bicyclist for having earbuds in will certainly get an earful about all the asinine behavior I see every day that doesn't get stopped (I figure if you're gonna get a ticket anyway, make it worth your while).

:D Yeah I hear ya, as just warning ya :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pulled a 35-mile ride yesterday. Thought I was tired but still overall feeling pretty good until I hit a hill about 2-3 miles from the end - my mind was saying "go legs!" and my legs were saying "manana" back. If my #s are right I averaged a pretty pathetic 13.5 MPH.

Coupla funny little tales:

- Friday I was riding back from work, a couple blocks from home - I wouldn't say I was pushing it but I wasn't dogging it either. Then I hear "hi, how are you doing?" over my L shoulder and what I can only assume was a "real" rider comes past me - he didn't pass me like I was standing still, but it was pretty clear who was in shape and who was kidding himself.

- Thursday I hopped on a scale for the first time since I started riding to and from work - the weight loss is not only visible in my midsection, neck, and upper body overall, but I've lost 1, maybe even 2" off the waist and an inch off my neck size, to say nothing of increased stamina. The scale said I'd lost about 3 pounds. :D

Coupla funny little tales:

- Friday I was riding back from work, a couple blocks from home - I wouldn't say I was pushing it but I wasn't dogging it either. Then I hear "hi, how are you doing?" over my L shoulder and what I can only assume was a "real" rider comes past me - he didn't pass me like I was standing still, but it was pretty clear who was in shape and who was kidding himself.

- Thursday I hopped on a scale for the first time since I started riding to and from work - the weight loss is not only visible in my midsection, neck, and upper body overall, but I've lost 1, maybe even 2" off the waist and an inch off my neck size, to say nothing of increased stamina. The scale said I'd lost about 3 pounds. :D

Don't worry about what the scale says. Muscle weighs more than fat. It's all about body composition. I don't buy into the BMI (Body Mass Index). I do think body fat % is a pretty good indicator of where you are though.

I weighed 197lbs in November last year. I weigh 165lbs now, but the best part is that not ony was I able to lose the weight, but converted a good portion of pounds to muscle while I was at it - pretty dramatic change in my body composition and I feel great.

I'm thinking you're feeling that same sense when you look in the mirror. Like I said man, don't worry too much about what the scale says. You know in your own mind and what you see that your body is changing for the better.

Don't worry about what the scale says. Muscle weighs more than fat. It's all about body composition. I don't buy into the BMI (Body Mass Index). I do think body fat % is a pretty good indicator of where you are though.

I weighed 197lbs in November last year. I weigh 165lbs now, but the best part is that not ony was I able to lose the weight, but converted a good portion of pounds to muscle while I was at it - pretty dramatic change in my body composition and I feel great.

I'm thinking you're feeling that same sense when you look in the mirror. Like I said man, don't worry too much about what the scale says. You know in your own mind and what you see that your body is changing for the better.

Oh, I'm not worried - I kinda find BMI to be a bit of a crock, but that's a different discussion.

I know I look better and feel better. I was hoping to go a bit more than 230 to 227, but whatever. I guess if I really wanted to lose weight, I'd make more of an effort to cut calories in addition to upping activity. I just thought that it was funny that with VISIBLE signs of "weight loss" it only showed a single-digit drop.

Gonna try ~40 mi tomorrow. If I don't post it's because I am dead.

Oh, I'm not worried - I kinda find BMI to be a bit of a crock, but that's a different discussion.

I know I look better and feel better. I was hoping to go a bit more than 230 to 227, but whatever. I guess if I really wanted to lose weight, I'd make more of an effort to cut calories in addition to upping activity. I just thought that it was funny that with VISIBLE signs of "weight loss" it only showed a single-digit drop.

Gonna try ~40 mi tomorrow. If I don't post it's because I am dead.

Good for you. That will be quite an achievement. Keep it up!

Not dead. Legs hurt like hell, though.

I can't believe this thread still has legs. :D I also can't believe Chavez has survived even one bike ride.

• 8 months later...

Back on the bike for the summer. I have a goal that by the end of summer I'll take a ~85 miler to a friend's house.

My "training" will be tougher, as opposed to last year, because instead of going 3.7 miles to and from work, I'll be doing the 3.7 to work, riding about 4 miles to pick up my daughter at daycare, and hauling her back home another 4.2 miles. As sick as it may sound, I'm looking forward to it.

Guest Chappy
Back on the bike for the summer. I have a goal that by the end of summer I'll take a ~85 miler to a friend's house.

My "training" will be tougher, as opposed to last year, because instead of going 3.7 miles to and from work, I'll be doing the 3.7 to work, riding about 4 miles to pick up my daughter at daycare, and hauling her back home another 4.2 miles. As sick as it may sound, I'm looking forward to it.

Sounds like a great time, oh and a ton of exercise. I'm more of a roller blader myself.

Edited by Chappy

Guest Chappy
:wacko:

What's the matter not a big fan of roller blading? I play roller hockey and go for some pretty aggressive blading workouts. Awesome stuff.

Guest Chappy
My roller blades are in the garage next to the Sony Walkman.

So are mine but then I go out there and put them on and go for a workout. :wacko:

What's the matter not a big fan of roller blading? I play roller hockey and go for some pretty aggressive blading workouts. Awesome stuff.

There are other ways of working out that don't make everyone around you immediately think of Olivia Newton-John. However, if you enjoy it, :wacko:.

Guest Chappy
There are other ways of working out that don't make everyone around you immediately think of Olivia Newton-John. However, if you enjoy it, :wacko:.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. ONJ makes for a great skating partner!! And let me tell you, every time we blade together she sings "Let's get Physical" which really gets me pumped. I believe around here they call it :divingboard: I know this will ruin my chances at Mystery Huddler but oh well- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQXECBdPgEA

Thanks for the vote of confidence. ONJ makes for a great skating partner!! And let me tell you, every time we blade together she sings "Let's get Physical" which really gets me pumped. I believe around here they call it :divingboard: I know this will ruin my chances at Mystery Huddler but oh well- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQXECBdPgEA

:D You are too young to be his age when the video was made. :wacko:

Guest Chappy
:D You are too young to be his age when the video was made. :wacko:

Thank You for the clarification Big John, which no doubt is true. However, for the sake of enjoyment, ignore the age differential and know that's what happens.

Edited by Chappy