[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Fitness gurus

Chavez

If you really want to lose the weight, start running.

Category Activity Calories/hour

Running

Running 5 mph 644

Running 5.5 mph 693

Running, Cross Country 738

Running 6 mph 828

Running 9 minute mile 869

Running 8 minute mile 936

Running 7 mph 959

Running 8 mph 1,013

Running 7 minute mile 1,026

Running 9 mph 1,080

Running 6 minute mile 1,134

Running 10 mph 1,260

Running 5.5 minute mile 1,301

Cycling

Cycling 5-6.5 mph 288

Cycling 6.5-8 mph 324

Cycling 8-8.5 mph 374

Cycling 10 mph 540

Cycling 12 mph 639

Cycling 13 mph 702

Cycling 14 mph 806

Cycling 15 mph 873

Cycling 16 mph 945

Cycling 20 mph 1,121

Cycling 22 mph 1,359

Cycling 24 mph 1,746

Cycling 28 mph 2,822

Cycling 30 mph 3,542

Running is pretty tough on your body. I have given it up per the doctor because of disk issues. I really miss it. It was a great way to keep in shape and control the stress of life.

Its time for me to get a bike.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Category Activity Calories/hour

Running

Running 5 mph 644

Running 5.5 mph 693

Running, Cross Country 738

Running 6 mph 828

Running 9 minute mile 869

Running 8 minute mile 936

Running 7 mph 959

Running 8 mph 1,013

Running 7 minute mile 1,026

Running 9 mph 1,080

Running 6 minute mile 1,134

Running 10 mph 1,260

Running 5.5 minute mile 1,301

Cycling

Cycling 5-6.5 mph 288

Cycling 6.5-8 mph 324

Cycling 8-8.5 mph 374

Cycling 10 mph 540

Cycling 12 mph 639

Cycling 13 mph 702

Cycling 14 mph 806

Cycling 15 mph 873

Cycling 16 mph 945

Cycling 20 mph 1,121

Cycling 22 mph 1,359

Cycling 24 mph 1,746

Cycling 28 mph 2,822

Cycling 30 mph 3,542

Running is pretty tough on your body. I have given it up per the doctor because of disk issues. I really miss it. It was a great way to keep in shape and control the stress of life.

Its time for me to get a bike.

I'm calling BS. There are so many factors in biking, most importantly wind and equipment. I can do 12 mph on the Trek time trial bike (retail value $4,000) at my resting heartrate. If I'm on a Huffy with a rusted chain I'll fall over dead trying to maintain 12 mph. And headwind is a whole other can of worms. I do 15 miles a day minimum on a mid-quality mountain bike and I'm burning a ton of calories at about 12 mph depending on the wind speed and direction.

ETA - and the reason I bike instead of run is because I plan on keeping my knees and ankles for as long as possible. . . oh, and I like to actually get somewhere as long as I'm out of the house. In summary, running sux.

Edited by SheikYerbuti

I'm calling BS. There are so many factors in biking, most importantly wind and equipment. I can do 12 mph on the Trek time trial bike (retail value $4,000) at my resting heartrate. If I'm on a Huffy with a rusted chain I'll fall over dead trying to maintain 12 mph. And headwind is a whole other can of worms. I do 15 miles a day minimum on a mid-quality mountain bike and I'm burning a ton of calories at about 12 mph depending on the wind speed and direction.

ETA - and the reason I bike instead of run is because I plan on keeping my knees and ankles for as long as possible. . . oh, and I like to actually get somewhere as long as I'm out of the house. In summary, running sux.

Yea, just a rule of thumb. I figured that would be pretty obvious to anyone who works out, but guess again..... :wacko:

Shouldn't we save "calling BS" for when someone actually throws some BS out there?

Sure, Bike riding and calorie burning are broad topics. You could also be running in bare feet. Up a Hill. Carrying a heavy bookbag. Both ways!!

I have anger issues today. My bad.

I have anger issues today. My bad.

Its Monday April 21st, and we have 3 inches of snow on the ground. I have to coach a little league game tonight, and the high temperature is 38 degrees. A week ago it was sunny and 75 degrees.

I think I am the one with the anger managment issue. Oh well, at least it will keep the Californians out of our state..

Its Monday April 21st, and we have 3 inches of snow on the ground. I have to coach a little league game tonight, and the high temperature is 38 degrees. A week ago it was sunny and 75 degrees.

I think I am the one with the anger managment issue. Oh well, at least it will keep the Californians out of our state..

Make sure the team does plenty of leg stretches. . .the DL in the majors is filled with hammy and quad issues caused by cold weather.

Good luck. . .hope you light em up.

i commute 365 on my road bike but i rarely ride hard enough to increase my breathing, so i am actually in crappy shape, for me.

yesterday i made the mistake of going on a ride with my buddies gf chelsy. she brought along a friend rhea who is like the best ironwoman in the state and has lots of attitude. the original plan was to go for 1.5 hours fairly mellow. well iron chick takes over and states 'i want to ride 40 miles today' and told us the route we were going to take. i wasnt in a position to argue or bow out and look like a my little buddy.

well we take off and rhea starts hammering. im pretty strong and we had a decent pace line going for awhile even though i was sucking wind after about 1 mile. long story short the two dropped me after about 5 miles because i couldnt keep up. let me tell you, there is no worse feeling than bonking on a bike, with two girls mind you.

my ego is a little dented but i have perspective enough to understand i just plain wasnt in shape. these two work in a fitness center and have been spinning all winter.

I guessing you assume that everyone is dying to come to your state? :wacko:

(And ,no, I'm not from California)

I guessing you assume that everyone is dying to come to your state? :wacko:

(And ,no, I'm not from California)

Not at all. I just appreciate open spaces and friendly people. We have had a lot of people from the west coast move into our area over the last decade.

I do not need to sell Western Montana to anyone who has visited it.

Not at all. I just appreciate open spaces and friendly people. We have had a lot of people from the west coast move into our area over the last decade.

I do not need to sell Western Montana to anyone who has visited it.

I'm just messin' with ya! No state wants California people moving to 'em!! :wacko:

I'm just messin' with ya! No state wants California people moving to 'em!! :D

Not trying to slam California by no means. It may have sounded that way, but it was not intentional. We have some wonderful neighbors who relocated from California. They recently put their home on the market because of the winter we just had. It was not a typical winter, very long and tons of snow.

They sold the home online in less then a month to a family from Texas. I wonder how long the Texans will last? :wacko:

• 1 month later...
- Thursday I hopped on a scale for the first time since I started riding to and from work - the weight loss is not only visible in my midsection, neck, and upper body overall, but I've lost 1, maybe even 2" off the waist and an inch off my neck size, to say nothing of increased stamina. The scale said I'd lost about 3 pounds. :D

I lost a negligible amount of weight last year....this year, assuming the two scales I used were accurate in regards to each other, I've dropped 20 lbs. :wacko:

Maybe that extra 4+ mile pull every day hauling my daughter from daycare makes a big difference. :D

I lost a negligible amount of weight last year....this year, assuming the two scales I used were accurate in regards to each other, I've dropped 20 lbs. :wacko:

Maybe that extra 4+ mile pull every day hauling my daughter from daycare makes a big difference. :D

:D

Nice work. :D

Sounds like you're bringin sexy back.

Nice work. :wacko:

Sounds like you're bringin sexy back.

Hey, sexy never left this building. :hawt:

EDIT - actually, I think one of the scales was inaccurate. Maybe more in the 10-15 lb range, at best.

Still, it's the opposite of the vicious circle - the lighter you get, the easier it is to ride, the faster you can go, so you ride more, and you get lighter...repeat.

Edited by Chavez

Hey, sexy never left this building. :hawt:

EDIT - actually, I think one of the scales was inaccurate. Maybe more in the 10-15 lb range, at best.

Still, it's the opposite of the vicious circle - the lighter you get, the easier it is to ride, the faster you can go, so you ride more, and you get lighter...repeat.

I just replaced the rear tire on my bike today. It was just about worn down to the tube. The Shiekette asked me how the rear tire could be so worn out while the front has plenty of tread still. I told her to ask the bathroom scale. It knows the answer.

• 2 weeks later...

next weekend my wife and I are going to visit some friends who live about an hour-and-a-half away; my goal for the summer was to make the 95 mile trip by bike. I haven't done a ton of distance type-training, just mashing my way through my standard 12 mile commute and getting in 20-40 mile rides where I can (which I can't much - managed one 40-miler so far).

Anyway, I'm thinking when I wore my first dress it, I should just ride and have my wife follow about 4 hrs or so behind me on the same route. Anyone have a reason NOT to? Worst case is I make it about halfway (that 40 miler got rough in the last 3-4 miles) and have a baseline for the next attempt.