[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Farve more than just unhappy

sunysteelfly76

On the night before the draft, the Packers thought they had a deal with the Raiders for a fifth-round pick, but New England stepped in and began making a strong pitch for Moss. Quarterback Tom Brady reportedly spent hours on the phone recruiting Moss, who eventually agreed to a one-year contract with the Patriots.

Or, is it more of a misdirection because the opposing QB did what was necessary to get RMoss, and BFavre didn't? Who really is at fault here?

Or, is it more of a misdirection because the opposing QB did what was necessary to get RMoss, and BFavre didn't? Who really is at fault here?

Favre spoke with Moss; by accounts I've read, the Pats came in with an offer of a 4th round pick (GB was offering a 5th) and guaranteed money (GB was not guaranteeing the money) - and Oakland pulled the trigger without giving GB the opportunity to match/better what the Pats were giving.

Favre spoke with Moss; by accounts I've read, the Pats came in with an offer of a 4th round pick (GB was offering a 5th) and guaranteed money (GB was not guaranteeing the money) - and Oakland pulled the trigger without giving GB the opportunity to match/better what the Pats were giving.

Fair enough. But, let's interpret this, shall we? All of GB's actions -- GB's offer, no guaranteed money, and Favre talking to Moss -- wasn't enough for OAK to pull the trigger. OAK wasn't satisfied.

All of NE's actions -- NE's 4th round pick, guaranteed money, and TBrady on the phone HOURS with Moss -- was enough for OAK to pull the trigger.

Looks like Favre is as much of this picture as GB's management. Sure, the package GB put up was beat out by NE. I also think TBrady outperformed/out-hussled BFavre on this one, and there's some sour grapes.

Hypothetically, lets say that GB now wants to trade Favre.

What teams both offer Favre a better chance to win now AND where Favre would be an upgrade at QB?

CHI? Favre and Grossman had almost identical seasons last year.

JAX? Decent bet...Leftwich has been uninspiring.

CAR? Not with Delhomme and Carr on the roster.

MIA? Maybe...Trent Green may have lost some value.

DEN? Maybe...depends on if Cutler is really ready for prime time.

...other than that, all other teams that could possibly consider Favre an upgrade at QB are worse than the Packers and the teams that are as good or better than the Packers don't need a QB...

Fair enough. But, let's interpret this, shall we? All of GB's actions -- GB's offer, no guaranteed money, and Favre talking to Moss -- wasn't enough for OAK to pull the trigger. OAK wasn't satisfied.

All of NE's actions -- NE's 4th round pick, guaranteed money, and TBrady on the phone HOURS with Moss -- was enough for OAK to pull the trigger.

Looks like Favre is as much of this picture as GB's management. Sure, the package GB put up was beat out by NE. I also think TBrady outperformed/out-hussled BFavre on this one, and there's some sour grapes.

I think that's giving BOTH QBs a little too much credit in this situation.

It came down to the 1-year Vs. 2-year deal. TT wanted Moss for two years (which seems to indicate he wanted to give Brett TWO chances at the big prize), but Moss wanted to land a huge contract in 2008.

Even hypothetically, if the Packers were to UP their offer to a 4th-rounder AND gave Moss the 1-year deal he wanted.....Moss was asking himself two questions:

1. Which team gives me the best chance to win a ring?

2. Which team gives me the best chance to put up huge numbers and land a big contract next year?

The answer to both questions is "The Patriots."

Once the Patriots got involved, we didn't have a chance at Moss. He made the best decision for himself and his career, and it put him in a NE uniform. So what?

I understand the situation from all sides. Brett's frustrated by what happened, but his frustration was misplaced initially. It wasn't TT's fault; it wasn't anyone's fault. Now, Brett's going to go back to appreciating the young talent on the team. :D

Hypothetically, lets say that GB now wants to trade Favre.

What teams both offer Favre a better chance to win now AND where Favre would be an upgrade at QB?

CHI? Favre and Grossman had almost identical seasons last year.

JAX? Decent bet...Leftwich has been uninspiring.

CAR? Not with Delhomme and Carr on the roster.

MIA? Maybe...Trent Green may have lost some value.

DEN? Maybe...depends on if Cutler is really ready for prime time.

...other than that, all other teams that could possibly consider Favre an upgrade at QB are worse than the Packers and the teams that are as good or better than the Packers don't need a QB...

Dallas?

Atlanta?

Tampa?

I think that's giving BOTH QBs a little too much credit in this situation.

It came down to the 1-year Vs. 2-year deal. TT wanted Moss for two years (which seems to indicate he wanted to give Brett TWO chances at the big prize), but Moss wanted to land a huge contract in 2008.

Even hypothetically, if the Packers were to UP their offer to a 4th-rounder AND gave Moss the 1-year deal he wanted.....Moss was asking himself two questions:

1. Which team gives me the best chance to win a ring?

2. Which team gives me the best chance to put up huge numbers and land a big contract next year?

The answer to both questions is "The Patriots."

Once the Patriots got involved, we didn't have a chance at Moss. He made the best decision for himself and his career, and it put him in a NE uniform. So what?

I understand the situation from all sides. Brett's frustrated by what happened, but his frustration was misplaced initially. It wasn't TT's fault; it wasn't anyone's fault. Now, Brett's going to go back to appreciating the young talent on the team. :D

Point well made.

Favre is fat and can't play anymore.

Ah, Vet, I've been so missing your contributions.....

....well, not at all, actually.