[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Stickin' It To The Man

The Holy Roller

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:D I'll do my part (don't need to fill up for at least another week anyway).

$3.23 for regular here in CT. Why don't they just quit jerking us around and make the jump to 4 bucks a gallon like we know they are going to do anyway? Jerkoffs!

Well the Cenex station that I can see, is getting ready for Wednesday, they are filling their tanks. I am sure they are expecting a big rush after no one buys gas today. :D

:tup: so let's say everyone in the country just drove right by the gas stations today. that just means more people filling up tomorrow and the next day. :D

Unless you filled up yesterday to make up for today :D

We've got a cottage in Minnesota (I live in Wisconsin for those who don't know), so I fill up there on the weekends in the summer. It's 15-20 cents cheaper.

A much more effective approach would be to have a "Public Transportation Day" where everyone rode the bus or took the train to work.

I like this idea! :D

But let's go one better. Let's have a day where NOONE even goes to work! Think of the savings!! :D

We've got a cottage in Minnesota (I live in Wisconsin for those who don't know), so I fill up there on the weekends in the summer. It's 15-20 cents cheaper.

i only get gas in MN... unless i absolutely have to

were is the cottage... i have a one up buy blackduck MN and its getting pretty spendy to drive up there

F'n Canadians probably have it gubment subsidized. :D

A much more effective approach would be to have a "Public Transportation Day" where everyone rode the bus or took the train to work.

Now yer talkin. Why sweat the rising gas cost if you don't have to? I was in HS during the '84 Olympics here in L.A., and I remember having to drive into town for those 2 weeks for a summer job, fearing the worst. But guess what? They were the two best weeks ever for traffic in this town, as everyone made plans to take public transportation or chage their habits. too bad it didn't last longer.

Remember, this was before the web made telecommuting a reality, so unless you took vacation time, you still made it to work somehow. Flex schedules + public transportation + carpool/vanpool = success. Until a BART-like rail system is put into place all over the SoCal at an incredible cost, (I don't know how many $ Billions it would take,) this other formula must be used to save us all major headaches.

I'm hoping the inevitable $4+ per/gallon cost will drive people (no pun intended) to this realization soon. I just started taking the van for the 98 mi. round trip to my office, and its truly doing the trifecta: 1) saving me big $, plus 2) it helps the environment and 3) reduces traffic for others. I live the farthest away on our 8 person van, driving 25 miles/day to get back and forth from the pickup point, but thats still almost 75 mi. less per day in my car. Others on the van only drive a few miles each day, lucky them, so they save more $.

Its high time we all consider it, even 1-2 days/week. I did this for a few years before hopping on the van. When I say big $ saved, its not only the obvious reduced gas, but also reduced wear/tear (maintainance), depreciation and insurance cost. About $60-$70 a month at the very least not including the depreciation (which is like selling your house - you don't see it until you sell).

And of course the $s saved are rising now with the gas costs. That's at least one more nice dinner out for us. The only thing I could do better would be to move closer to the job, but we love our community, so that's not an option at the present.

For those that say they just can't van/carpool due to the lack of flexibility, I call BS! Even if you don't work for a large company that has a van system, you can usually find someone you know nearby who goes the same direction each day, even if its not to the exact same workplace. And unless you are a salesperson or other job that requires driving to various places during the workday, or have an unusual schedule relative to your workmates, this can work.

If you have to stay late for a meeting/deadline and miss the van, our company offers a company car or taxi voucher to get you home for free. We pay a flat monthly fee of $120 for the van ride, so the incentive is there to take it as many days as possible; I drive it alone only 1-2 days a month for early meetings or half-days, trips to the airport, etc.

So this is my plea: check it out where you work, and try it out if you can. Its the only way we will keep America (at least the urban centers) moving....