[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Gas Grill

H8tank

75 members have voted

1. 1. Do you turn the valve on the propane tank off after every use?

• Yes, I don't know why.
    • No, the grill's valves work just fine, no need to turn it off at the tank too.

I turn it off for sure because I'm paranoid like that.

At my new house (8 mos or so) I now have birds trying to build a nest in the grill. Never seen this before. This of course is when I forgot to put the cover on.

That wouldn't happen if you used it more than once a year. :D

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I turn it off, but when I forget to then I turn it the wrong way and think it's broken because it won't light.

I do this too - turn it off 90% of the time (more due to loss of propane - minimal, but enough to make me do it), but the 10% of the time I'll come back, think "hmm, somethign seems weird" as I'm turning it the other way, turn on burners, and get a little spurt, then nothing - think "crap - out of gas..."

Then remember, turn other way, adn when I finally get it all taken care of, light it and cause I was screwing around figuring it all out, have a nice fireball....

I'm finally looking into trading in the old Weber for a gas grill, for the sake of convenience. It takes me almost 30 minutes from the time I start the process until I can throw the meat on, and sometimes I just avoid it (and use the oven or buy takeout - yuck!) due to time pressure.

Does anyone have an idea whether I'll also be saving $ due to the cost of gas vs. charcoal? I go through a 25lb bag about every 2 weeks during the main spring/summer grill season. Is natural gas a lot cheaper than propane, but more $ up front for the setup? And for a guy with little kids, which one is safer? Keeping them away from the big Weber 'can of fire' while I'm cooking is tough enough.

Info please....

That wouldn't happen if you used it more than once a year. :D

That's the problem. I'm using the MoFo 4-5 times a week and was cleaning out a nest each time until I realized it wasn't my kids doing it but rather a freaking bird. What a pain in the ass not to mention the potential disease issues that could be carried, I guess.

I need to try and catch him in there, cut off his access and then light the beyotch. :D

I'm finally looking into trading in the old Weber for a gas grill, for the sake of convenience.

That's funny cause I'm about to have the patio installed and haven't bought a grill yet (I gave the person that bought my house my old grill). I was thinking of going charcoal instead of gas because the food tastes sooo much better IMO.

Or maybe green egg cause I want to smoke BBQ. :D

That's funny cause I'm about to have the patio installed and haven't bought a grill yet (I gave the person that bought my house my old grill). I was thinking of going charcoal instead of gas because the food tastes sooo much better IMO.

Or maybe green egg cause I want to smoke BBQ. :D

3 weeks in, and I'm loving mine :D

I cook way to often and too much meat for coals on a day to day basis. Sure, at the lake coals, or over the fire.

Prior to this year, I always shut the valve off, but just started only closing the grill valves... didn't know if those things leaked or not.

Wow, I'm usually pretty picky about most things. At first when I got the grill, for about the first year (3 years old) I always did, but after leaving it on a few times on accident and no problems or leaks I just leave it on all the time now. Nobody touches the grill except me anyway and it always has a cover on it.

I cook way to often and too much meat for coals on a day to day basis. Sure, at the lake coals, or over the fire.

So I think you're saying going with gas will save me either time or money, or both....

So I think you're saying going with gas will save me either time or money, or both....

yup

i have both and like tank cook way to much and on short notice for the real grill and if you get a decent gas they can cook pretty well ...

I seriously want to augment my Weber gas grill with a BGE. I want to be able to smoke meats and do pizzas and stuff, but it's hard to give up the convenience of a gas grill.

I had a gas grill when I bought my BGE. I kept my gas grill for about a year after I got my BGE. I never used it once. I gave it away. I don't find it takes that much more time with a BGE and, for me, the flavor of the food from the BGE is far superior to that of the gas grill.

I had a gas grill when I bought my BGE. I kept my gas grill for about a year after I got my BGE. I never used it once. I gave it away. I don't find it takes that much more time with a BGE and, for me, the flavor of the food from the BGE is far superior to that of the gas grill.

You can get the BGE to cooking temp in 10 minutes?

Instead of a big green momo, get a turkey frier, great for fish, chicken, you name it.

In addition to the BGE, I have a turkey fryer. I like my turkey fryer, I just haven't figured out how to smoke a pork butt for 15-20 hours in it yet.

No, I sure can't. Depending on what I'm cooking, it'll take me 20-30 minutes--the 10-20 minute difference in getting it to temp falls into the "not that much more time" category.

It honestly doesn't take that long. It lights quickly. I light it before I start getting whatever I am cooking together, and by the time I have gotten everything staged and have a beer open, I am ready.

Besides...if it takes a little longer, that's just more beer to drink :D

It honestly doesn't take that long. It lights quickly. I light it before I start getting whatever I am cooking together, and by the time I have gotten everything staged and have a beer open, I am ready.

Besides...if it takes a little longer, that's just more beer to drink :D

The problem is that when you don't get home from the commute until 7:30 - 8 PM, every minute is precious.

That doesn't mean I'm not thinking about an Egg, but it will never be the one and only.