[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Gas Grill

H8tank

75 members have voted

1. 1. Do you turn the valve on the propane tank off after every use?

• Yes, I don't know why.
    • No, the grill's valves work just fine, no need to turn it off at the tank too.

That doesn't mean I'm not thinking about an Egg, but it will never be the one and only.

You say this now because you are unwise in all that is the BGE. The BGE forgives you. In time, you shall anoint your food with your own tears and the flowing of smoky love will consume you. It is then that you will give yourself to no other.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem is that when you don't get home from the commute until 7:30 - 8 PM, every minute is precious.

That doesn't mean I'm not thinking about an Egg, but it will never be the one and only.

not to be argumentative....but do you have everything prepared to just "go on the grill" when you get home? Because it usually takes me about 15 minutes or so to get the stuff together and organized.

Edited by Caveman_Nick

not to be argumentative....but do you have everything prepared to just "go on the grill" when you get home? Because it usually takes me about 15 minutes or so to get the stuff together and organized.

Probably not but that same question can be posed to people that own an egg too. :D

I understand your point CN and it may be like 'teve says, I'm just not knowledgeable in the ways of the BGE. But for the most part, during the week, the answer is yes. I like to keep things simple with the sides taking most of the time to prep. It's pretty much grab it and go.

Question...how long does it take the BGE to heat up to appropriate temps? Let's say 800 or so.

Just wondering. :D

That, I dunno...maybe 20 minutes.

from what I have seen, it has a very good air flow system. keeping the lid closed, with the pipe open at the top and the bottom vent open all the way, it heats up very quickly once the coals get going. It's that initial bit to catch the coals that takes the time...and that would be the same in any charcoal grill. I find that the BGE heats up much faster than my old charcoal grill.

I will time it for you, from match to temperature. probably this weekend.

Do you want the time measured in minutes or ounces?

EDIT: BTW...unless you are cooking staks and looking for a sear, I find that for the most part I am okay to throw meat on when the temp crests 400º

Edited by Caveman_Nick

Wurd.

I like a quick sear on my steaks and I doubt the BGE could get it up to 850+ in that timeframe.

I can get the BGE up to 800 pretty quickly--that's easy--just open the top and bottom and vents and let 'er rip. Getting the BGE stable at say, 230-240 for a good long smoke takes me longer--but then again, when I'm smoking food, I have hours to do so.

That, I dunno...maybe 20 minutes.

from what I have seen, it has a very good air flow system. keeping the lid closed, with the pipe open at the top and the bottom vent open all the way, it heats up very quickly once the coals get going. It's that initial bit to catch the coals that takes the time...and that would be the same in any charcoal grill. I find that the BGE heats up much faster than my old charcoal grill.

I will time it for you, from match to temperature. probably this weekend.

Do you want the time measured in minutes or ounces?

EDIT: BTW...unless you are cooking staks and looking for a sear, I find that for the most part I am okay to throw meat on when the temp crests 400º

I can get the BGE up to 800 pretty quickly--that's easy--just open the top and bottom and vents and let 'er rip. Getting the BGE stable at say, 230-240 for a good long smoke takes me longer--but then again, when I'm smoking food, I have hours to do so.

Cool, I think I would get the BGE for strictly smoking. My current smoker is a pain to keep regulated and I usually get "the black lung" by hour 6 of the process. :D

Cool, I think I would get the BGE for strictly smoking. My current smoker is a pain to keep regulated and I usually get "the black lung" by hour 6 of the process. :D

whatever the reason you purchase the BGE, it will bring you joy.

Without exaggeration, on one load of charcoal (real charcoal, not that kingsford crap), I maintained by BGE at 230 degrees for 18 hours. I could have gone longer, but my pork butt was done.

Edit: And it is okay to lie to yourself and say you'll purchase a BGE just for smoking. The BGE sees into your soul and knows. It knows.

Edited by untateve

whatever the reason you purchase the BGE, it will bring you joy.

Without exaggeration, on one load of charcoal (real charcoal, not that kingsford crap), I maintained by BGE at 230 degrees for 18 hours. I could have gone longer, but my pork butt was done.

Edit: And it is okay to lie to yourself and say you'll purchase a BGE just for smoking. The BGE sees into your soul and knows. It knows.

+1

The BGE sees into your soul and knows. It knows.

My Hibachi used to stand over me when I was sleeping. I would awake at 2 AM and it'd be staring at me. I hope I'm ready for that type of commitment again after I purchase the BGE.

My Hibachi used to stand over me when I was sleeping. I would awake at 2 AM and it'd be staring at me. I hope I'm ready for that type of commitment again after I purchase the BGE.

See, that's the great thing. Spend all of your money on a BGE, and you won't have as much lying around for drugs! :D