[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Randy Moss

CaptainHook

Brett Favre was so angry that the Green Bay Packers didn't trade for Randy Moss that he called out the organization. Well, not everybody shares his high opinion of the wide receiver.

"Randy Moss is a player whose skills are diminishing, and he's in denial of those eroding skills," former Raiders offensive coordinator Tom Walsh told the Boston Globe for Sunday's edition. "Randy was a great receiver, but he lacked the work ethic and the desire to cultivate any skills that would compensate for what he was losing physically later in his career."

"He told me last year, 'I'm too old to practice on Wednesday and Thursday, but I'm not too old to play on Sunday.' Did they start a senior league?"

Walsh was fired, along with head coach Art Shell, after Oakland's 2-14 season. Moss was shopped by the new Raiders regime and finally landed in New Endland.

Walsh doesn't know if Moss can be the consistent threat that the Patriots hope they're pairing with quarterback Tom Brady.

"When he's right, he still makes an impact," Walsh told the Globe. "He looked like a world-beater in a preseason game against the Lions. I never thought he was difficult to coach, but we expected him to be a complete receiver and he wasn't. His whole game in Minnesota was outside the numbers. For him to run shallow crosses and in-routes was new for him. Initially, he showed all the interest but later on ... I don't know."

The Patriots are banking on Moss adapting to the one-for-all work ethic that has helped the Patriots win three of the last six Super Bowls. Walsh isn't so sure.

"Randy Moss has great football IQ," Walsh told the paper. "He's tremendously gifted. I think he can still play, but his legs will determine how much work he can handle. We used to take him out of Friday practices because the quarterbacks wanted the receivers running near game tempo and when Randy was on the field, the whole practice slowed down so much we started giving him the day off. Once he got discouraged, he just faded."

Moss himself blames the losing he experienced in Oakland.

"I think what I have done in the past as far as losing and sometimes getting out of control, I think it's just my competitive nature of wanting to win and helping my team get into a position to win," he said in a conference call after the trade to New England. "Like I said, losing sometimes can get contagious, but as a player I can't let that settle in, and I think that's one of the things that bothered me [in Oakland]. I didn't want it to set in and it didn't set in. It was just really nerve-racking that it was hard for me to win."

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sour grapes.

c'mon now, it's more than that.

While I admit that the risk New England took by trading for him was WELL worth it, I've said the same about Moss for a while. He relies on his physical skills. He's not a good route runner. He won't go over the middle. He doesn't practice hard. He doesn't work out enough.

I just don't think that's all going to change cause he went to the Patriots. We'll see. He should still put up very good numbers though . . .

c'mon now, it's more than that.

While I admit that the risk New England took by trading for him was WELL worth it, I've said the same about Moss for a while. He relies on his physical skills. He's not a good route runner. He won't go over the middle. He doesn't practice hard. He doesn't work out enough.

I just don't think that's all going to change cause he went to the Patriots. We'll see. He should still put up very good numbers though . . .

c'mon now, you tell me what member of that oakland coaching staff, or organization for that matter has one shred of credibility?

He's among, if not the the most physically gifted receiver that has played in the NFL. He's never played for a coach that had a clue or with a really great QB. He was obviously unmotivated by the situation in Oakland.

Tom Walsh is just talking sour grapes IMO, until I see otherwise in New England.

I'd hate to give props to an inn keeper brought back into the fold of the NFL, but Tom Walsh might have nailed it here. As Moss gets on in years, he's going to have to rely on veteran savvy instead of talent. I don't see him as the Steve Largent type that will be productive past his prime.

Edited by MikesVikes

You win...although I am not sure what the prize is.

There won't be any money here, but, when I die, on my death bed, I will receive total consciousness.

So, I've got that going for me.

Which is nice.

If it weren't for New England's "spread the ball around" philosophy, I would say that Moss is primed to have the best year of his career...he has NEVER played with a QB as good as Tom Brady.

Having said that, I won't go beyond this season because who knows what happens when the honeymoon ends.

If it weren't for New England's "spread the ball around" philosophy, I would say that Moss is primed to have the best year of his career...he has NEVER played with a QB as good as Tom Brady.

Having said that, I won't go beyond this season because who knows what happens when the honeymoon ends.

Heck ya! If Moss can have a 111-1632-17 season with Culpepper, than 150-2000-30 is in the bank with Brady.

:D

my guess is that Walsh is giving a fair assessment of the Moss that was in Oakland. They probably never saw Moss's real ability because he's a punk.

I have no doubt that if New England can get him to focus that he'll be again one of the best WRs in the league. This is not a given though. You can change the uniform but you can't make a player give effort and show desire. Its all about what Moss wants and what's important to him.

My guess is that he'll be much better but not the old Randy Moss. And I fully expect the situation to either blow up before year-end or for him to just walk for more money elsewhere next year. New England won't pay him and Moss will want to be shown "respect".

Everyone in or affiliated with the Oakland organization has gone out of their way to rip on Moss.

Moss was not the reason the Raiders couldn't win last year.

I agree he's got a bad attitude, but I think having the least respected coach on one of the most dysfunctional teams in the league was a huge factor.

Moss is at his best when he is NOT the leader of the team. He needs someone to guide him and kick his butt when necessary.

Early years in Minnesota, not the leader and excelled.

Later years in Minnesota, took over as leader and quickly became lazy.

Short time in Oakland, leader by default and gave minimal effort at best.

Future in New England, won't even be close to being a leader and might have a shot at ressurecting his career.

Why in the world is anyone interviewing the ex-bed-and-breakfast owner that was fired before he could finish his first season back in a decade? I think the reporter was looking for exactly what he got and went to the person who would be most likely to give it to him.

I don't buy that Moss' physical skills are severely declined at the age of 30 when he is younger than Owens (33), Harrison (34) and only one year older than Chad Johnson.

Moss was unmotivated in OAK last year to be sure, much like most other OAK players. The reporter should have asked about Porter or anyone else involved in the pathetic passing game last year.

As mentioned before, I would be much more concerned with what will happen when Moss is in an offense that has never focused on any individual receiver before, particularly since there are other viable options besides Moss to throw the ball to this year.

I think Moss opting for NE over GB indicates that he wants to play on a team with a good shot at the playoffs. Had he gone to GB, he could have reprised the Randy Ratio with Favre but instead opted for NE where it's just far less likely that he will get as many passes.

Yet another interesting slant on this season.

Moss does not have to be "the man" either on the field or in the huddle in NE. SO I think even his lack of work ethic will turn out ok. I'm sure there's a grain of truth to what Walsh said, but it does seem as if everyone in the Raiders organization is working real hard to knock Randy Moss. Hey, Maybe that was more Belickick brilliance. Make that "negative talk" part of the trade deal so that the lowered expectations will allow Moss to appear to succeed no matter what numbers he puts up.

Daunte Culpepper avg since 2000 is 251 yards and 1.63 tds per game.

Tom Brady, (the bestest QB ever!) avg since 2001 is 226 yards and 1.547 tds per game.

The first season as a starter was used in both comparisons.

Yeah...and please point out Culpepper's lofty stats in games that he didn't have Moss to throw to...

Let's see him average those numbers throwing to Brown/Patten. or Branch/Givens. or Caldwell/rotating whoever.

Edited by Caveman_Nick

Yeah...and please point out Culpepper's lofty stats in games that he didn't have Moss to throw to...

Let's see him average those numbers throwing to Brown/Patten. or Branch/Givens. or Caldwell/rotating whoever.

Culpepper is a QB that gets stats. Much more so than what Brady is asked to do for the Pats. Brady is capable of getting good stats but it's not the goal.

Either that or I'm wrong and Moss will bet the 2000 yards and 30 Tds. :D

c'mon now, you tell me what member of that oakland coaching staff, or organization for that matter has one shred of credibility?

He's among, if not the the most physically gifted receiver that has played in the NFL. He's never played for a coach that had a clue or with a really great QB. He was obviously unmotivated by the situation in Oakland.

Tom Walsh is just talking sour grapes IMO, until I see otherwise in New England.

+1

One thing I don't understand is why in the hell did Oakland have Randy Moss running "shallow crosses and in-routes'???

That's like Pittsburgh running an end around to Bettis or Indy sending Peyton out to run pass patterns to catch balls from Harrison.

They wonder why Moss tuned out. The coaches tuned out on him as well. I mean did they watch any tape on what Moss can do? Clearly not if they wanted him to run a veteran-like "shallow cross".