[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

any great wines for 50 bucks?

Azazello1313

I'd take the 50 bucks and get you some good beer. Probably can get yourself 8 to 10 chimays for that. Or, you could get 6 six packs of a really good IPA, such as dogfish head. The possabilites are endless Az. Use your BeeR money for beer.

BeeR owes me some money :D

:D

Assuming this isn't a joke, Brewer's call is quite nice. If I was going to throw $50 at some juice, however, I'd pick up a bottle of nice 2005 White Burgundy. Freaking awesome stuff. I've tried some from several producers over the last two weeks and they were great. Yesterday the highlight was Olivier Leflaive Chass-Montrachet Les Clavillions (sp?). Should retail for perhaps a bit more than $50 but it was the complete package. It's because of wines like this that Chardonnay got planted everywhere.

• 1 month later...

A not very well known wine that I think is absolutely amazing is the Nicholas Cole Camille. I believe the '02 is what I've had, runs about $50.

Now, on beer...hmm

1 750ml La Chouffe Houblon @ $10

1 750ml Unibroue 16 @ $9

1 22oz Great Divide Oak Aged yeti @ $9

1 22oz Stone Ruination IPA @ $5

1 750ml Saison DuPont @ $9

1 Samichalus @ $6

That's $48...and $48 well spent, in my opinion. :D

Edited by proninja

If you like the bubbles, you will never go wrong with a Moet & Chandon White Star. Currently available around here for $32 a bottle. You'll never even look at Dom again.

• 3 weeks later...
If you like the bubbles, you will never go wrong with a Moet & Chandon White Star. Currently available around here for $32 a bottle. You'll never even look at Dom again.

Now I must admit that my huddle sarcasm radar has proven itself a bit rusty of late, but are you freaking serious?

Now I must admit that my huddle sarcasm radar has proven itself a bit rusty of late, but are you freaking serious?

Took you a while to get back around to this, but yes I am serious. White Star is an awesome value for champagne. Of course, I've sampled several vintages of Dom and not been wowed by any of them. I've always thought that it was not worth the $$$. Perrier Jouet on the other hand...

I think you can get a lot of really really good wines for $50 or less.

I know of very few wines I would consider "Great". Of those, I dont' know of any under $50. That said, the overwhelming majority of my 1000+ bottle wine cellar is made up of bottles that were less than $50.

I did just part with the prize of my cellar. I'll never know if it was great or not but I got $1600 for it so someone expects it to be. According to my cellartracker reports, the average value per bottle in my collection is over $50, but actual price paid is nowhere near it.

Edited by Seattle LawDawg

Took you a while to get back around to this, but yes I am serious. White Star is an awesome value for champagne. Of course, I've sampled several vintages of Dom and not been wowed by any of them. I've always thought that it was not worth the $$$. Perrier Jouet on the other hand...

Well, regardless of the price, I think the dosage level is far too high in White Star. I like my Champagne to either be Brut or zero dosage. In terms of the "value", I really beg to differ. There are amazing grower champagnes made from entirely grand cru grapes that cost less than that. Look for E Barnaut Blanc de Noir. It costs me about $24 wholesale so it is likely about the same price retail as White Star. If you want value bubbles, look no further than Cava. There are likely dozens of Cavas under $15-$20 retail that are more unique and delicious than White Star.

I used to sell White Star when I was in wholesale distribution. It is only sold in the US. Actually, the only time I ever got orders for it was when some rapper was in town throwing a party at one of the hotels in my territory.

In terms of Dom. Because of my wine geekdom, I was always inclined to hate on it since it is so expensive and prevalent. However, I have also had the good fortune to try several vintages and have had to give it up to the fact that it is a truly remarkable champagne that ages amazingly well. 82 and 85 tasted in 2001 that tasted like they were brand new. Nervy, bright, and not showing a bit of brown color. Stunning actually and everything one could hope for in a Champagne. That said, there are no shortage of Champagnes that cost 1/2 or 1/3 the price that I would be just as happy drinking.