[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Frank Gore

broncosn05

Decided to make this a thread off the heels of the Breakout/Bust thread....

As some of you know I am HUGH supporter of Frank Gore. With reading some posts in the thread I'd like to put out my opinion. Gore will be either 1 or 2 in fantasy football next year. Gore exploded last year, but I like him to well exceed those stats. With Jackson and Hill added to a weak WR corp and a healthy Vernon Davis the offense should be much improved. This means no more 8 in the box against Gore, not that the NFC West could stop him. The additions of Willis and Clements should also definetely help the offense which had the second least plays in the NFL last year. The O line also remains strong with its only weakness being center. (Gore= 312 carries 61 receptions)

You don't hold Michael Turner to pretty much make him a FA next year for him to sit on the bench. And even though Norv Turner is a coach that usually uses one back, a point I made FOR Gore last year, I expect Turner to get another 40 carries that he didn't get last year., even if it is just part of the season to resume trade talks. This brings LT down a bit but you know the TDs will be there so I have he and Gore battling it out for the 1 spot. (SD= 11th in plays) (LT= 348 carries 56 receptions)

In STL you have a much different scenario. Brian Leonard was RB before the Rutgers got Rice. He's not really a great blocker, lost a lot of weight before the combine, and ran a 4.49 at the combine. SJax owners HAVE to be scared about this kid and his potential as a goaline back. (STL=3rd in plays) (SJax= 346 carries 90 receptions)

With those two running into some questionable situations I've got Gore at 1.51 behind LT.

Who's with me?

-piratesownninjas (after LT)

Edited by broncosn05

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Decided to make this a thread off the heels of the Breakout/Bust thread....

With those two running into some questionable situations I've got Gore at 1.51 behind LT.

Who's with me?

-piratesownninjas

The 1.51? What kind of league do you play in? :D

Expecting that Gore will supplant LT, LJ, SJ and SA? Possible, but the niners often ran last year even when they should have passed because they were just more effective moving the ball that way. WIth Jackson and a healthy Davis, they should be better at passing. Gore does play in a soft division and I certainly like him, but I do not see him rising to a potential #2 if only because of his offense.

Expecting that Gore will supplant LT, LJ, SJ and SA? Possible, but the niners often ran last year even when they should have passed because they were just more effective moving the ball that way. WIth Jackson and a healthy Davis, they should be better at passing. Gore does play in a soft division and I certainly like him, but I do not see him rising to a potential #2 if only because of his offense.

If I had the #1 in a draft I'd probably take Gore.

But with the ability to pass the ball Gore should get more downs and carries and Nolan made no effort to turn his system into an RBBC like SD and STL did. The line scares me for LJ and though I do agree that Alexander seems like a steal this year I like Gore much better.

Im not saying he's the no.1 but I think LJ is due for a fall. I also beleive that Shaun Alexander will never be the player he was before he:

A). Got his big payday

B.) Lost Hutch

C.) Broke his foot, which we're still not sure if its healed.

I just don't like Seattle. I see them as a team on the way down and Alexander will hurt because of it.

I think its a coin toss between Jackson and Gore, and I'll give the nod to Gore because of the reasons stated in the initial post.

Expecting that Gore will supplant LT, LJ, SJ and SA? Possible...

IMO, Gore will have to now start finding the end zone more and continue to work on his fumble problem to consider him top 4.

Gore had a career year last year. A career year for most RBs. This year, I don't see Gore improving significantly on what he did last year. It's still pretty damn good but to expect him to keep up almost 2200+ total yds is unreasonable... especially if the Niners wish to attain any balance on O.

At this point I'd rank him #3 with LT then SJax ahead of him.

I actually owned Gore in all 4 of my leagues last year.

Agreed. #3 for me at this point.

Gore had a great season last year, no doubt. He's also in a good situation in SF with little competition at RB (though rookie Clayton could surprise if he can manage to keep his head on straight - no small task for him) and he's on a team that is young & getting better.

The things that concern me about Gore are his injury history - and that is significant, that the rest of the divison went heavy on D in the draft, especially D-line and/or LB, and that SF catches the AFC North & MIN in non-divisional games this year. He's going to have tougher sledding this year. I don't think he'll average 126 yds rushing & 1+ rushing TD against the division again this year.

Given the risk and potential slide in stats, I'd probably put him around the #4 to #6 RB, which means he'll be gone before I'm willing to draft him.

Anyone taking Gore over LT, in any format, is making a mistake IMO.

Agreed, and I think anyone who takes a RB who was at best the 4th/5th RB in FF last year for 1 year running over a RB who has been a top 1/2 FF RB 5 years running is certifiable. If I'm putting anyone ahead of LT, he'd damn well better have shown that he can be a top 3 RB for at least 3 years in a row right now.

Gore had a career year last year. A career year for most RBs. This year, I don't see Gore improving significantly on what he did last year. It's still pretty damn good but to expect him to keep up almost 2200+ total yds is unreasonable...

To say the least. Guaranteed he will come back down to Earth.

Still, LT and SJ are the only definites I'd want over him. LJ and SA maybe, but their question marks ie chances for BIG disappointment are more significant IMO.

Well, I hope you're right, since that would be sweet for me in OUTRAGED, but LT is the man above all other men.

I'd put Gore solidly in group 1B with a half dozen others after LT who is alone at 1A.

LT is #1 period. I can see a case being made for Gore being #2 with the addition of Leonard in STL, SJAX may not have as many opurtunities as he did last year, and IIRC he wasn't that good at the goal line. Alexander and LJ have both been rode hard an put up wet. I see both declining due to work load over the last few years, O-line problems, and injuries.

LT is #1 period. I can see a case being made for Gore being #2 with the addition of Leonard in STL, SJAX may not have as many opurtunities as he did last year, and IIRC he wasn't that good at the goal line. Alexander and LJ have both been rode hard an put up wet. I see both declining due to work load over the last few years, O-line problems, and injuries.

+1

Gore is definitely a Top 5 guy and arguably a Top 3, but I think that has more to do with the "changing of the guard" at the halfback position right now than Gore being an astronomical talent. Gore was a stud last year, but I agree with DMD that SF will throw the ball more often this season. I also share BB's injury concerns.

+1

Gore is definitely a Top 5 guy and arguably a Top 3, but I think that has more to do with the "changing of the guard" at the halfback position right now than Gore being an astronomical talent. Gore was a stud last year, but I agree with DMD that SF will throw the ball more often this season. I also share BB's injury concerns.

I agree with Bill Swerski.

+1

He's three years removed from missing any action due to injury. Modern medicine has come a long way in recent years.

Also, there are plenty of runningbacks that have injury concerns.

He's three years removed from missing any action due to injury. Modern medicine has come a long way in recent years.

Gore missed two games in '05 with a groin injury.

There are also plenty of running backs that didn't tear both of their ACLs in college. Gore has very good upside, but I wouldn't dismiss his penchant for injury.

Do you really believe Leonard will have a impact on Stephen Jackson brother Perch?

I just do not see Leonard affecting him at all. injury is the only thing that worries me about Jackson.

Do you really believe Leonard will have a impact on Stephen Jackson brother Perch?

I just do not see Leonard affecting him at all. injury is the only thing that worries me about Jackson.

I'd agree with you, but Leonard is so damned talented and does so many things so well, I'd find it nothing short of amazing if they didn't use him to give Jackson a break periodically. It also wouldn't surprise me to see both guys on the field at once.

Every RB has injury concerns. Look at the players they're getting hit by every play.

That said, some players have injury histories that are significant and just can't be ignored. The guy Gore reminds me of in this regard is Jamal Lewis. Lewis came out of college with a huge "Caveat Emptor" sign on him. His college injuries were significant, yet he managed to play 16 games in each of his first 3 years. He looked great (except for a very early dislocated elbow) and as everyone knows he went for 2000+ yds in his 3rd year. The last 3 years? Plenty of health problems that kept him missing some games, and even when he's "healthy" he's just a shadow of the RB he used to be.

Gore just has more risk associated with him than other top RBs. To ignore that would be foolhardy. Where he stands in your pecking order of RBs ought to be influenced significantly by your tolerance for risk. Me? I've got a good tolerance for risk - but not that early in the draft. I couldn't take him ahead of LT, Jax, or LJ - and I've made my feelings about LJ being down a bit this year by LJ standards well known. I'd also look hard at Westbrook ahead of him in a ppr league (even though Westy comes with the same risk worries) as well as throwing Parker into the mix - even though I think Hunt will hurt Parker's numbers some.

Edited by Bronco Billy

Agreed, and I think anyone who takes a RB who was at best the 4th/5th RB in FF last year for 1 year running over a RB who has been a top 1/2 FF RB 5 years running is certifiable. If I'm putting anyone ahead of LT, he'd damn well better have shown that he can be a top 3 RB for at least 3 years in a row right now.

How many years does a top 3 rb stay in the top three?

You've got to take chances, right?

Being safe all the time is boring.

How many years does a top 3 rb stay in the top three?

You've got to take chances, right?

Being safe all the time is boring.

Gore didn't finish higher than the #4 RB in any league that I play in. He was predominantly the #5 RB in the league. He isn't top 3 material yet.

Taking chances is fine, and I'm all for it. Taking chances with a top 2 pick, especially with a guy who has a 1 year track record, isn't something I'm willing to do. By the time we get to pick 4 or 5 I'd be willing to take that risk, given the relative credentials of the rest of the players available.

If you're more risk tolerent, that's cool. That just doesn't seem to be justified by the numbers though. On the other hand, if Gore positively goes off & finishes with better FF numbers than the rest of the RBs in the league, then you'll be proven right & I'll just be an old worried nattering grandma. Such is the nature of the game.

Edited by Bronco Billy