[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

2007 NBA Draft

SheikYerbuti

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm... They didn't win it last year and won't again this year :D

Puddy- facts are not allowed in this forum.........

True, but I would count yer Pistons as the only legit team in the East for quite some time. Miami last year was a fluke, and only the biggest chokejob in NBA history allowed them to win the title.

Puddy- facts are not allowed in this forum.........

True, but I would count yer Pistons as the only legit team in the East for quite some time. Miami last year doesn't help my argument, so, therefore, that was a fluke, and only the biggest chokejob in NBA history allowed them to win the title.

Fixed.

:D

Fixed.

shouldn't you be bothering people at Applebee's or something........

Sure, Detroit is solid, and Miami won last year- but cmon the West has been dominating the East for years, and has won the title 7 out of the last 9 - along with the superior overall quality- I call that dominating......

To be fair.....

90's - Dominated by the East

80's - pretty even....

But to those *cough*bushwhacked*cough* that say that they don't feel one bit bad for the Celtics...go screw yourself!

It was more directed towards Boston Sports Hitory vs. Seattle Sport History. Bostonians can revel in recent successes of theRed Sox and the Pats. Seattle has the Hawks and Mariners. I was 6 years old during the Sonics 78 championship and don't recollect any memories. I'm pretty sure I didn't care about sports until I was about 10 and have gone 25 years without seeing one of my teams win the whole thing.

It was more directed towards Boston Sports Hitory vs. Seattle Sport History. Bostonians can revel in recent successes of theRed Sox and the Pats. Seattle has the Hawks and Mariners. I was 6 years old during the Sonics 78 championship and don't recollect any memories. I'm pretty sure I didn't care about sports until I was about 10 and have gone 25 years without seeing one of my teams win the whole thing.

They almost won one didn't they ? :D

Why? They tanked their season 3/4 the way through it. Paul Pierce COULD have played if he had something to play for. Memphis is the team IMO that got snubbed!!

Either way, Seattle and Portland getting 1 and 2 is a screwjob for somebody. what were they, 5th and tied for 6th worst record?

Like I said before, I understand and support the need for a lottery, but I think the current system is not the best. And that's not to say what I was suggesting is, I was just trying to throw something out that would address getting the top picks into the hands of the worst teams on a more consistant basis.

shouldn't you be bothering people at Applebee's or something........

Sure, Detroit is solid, and Miami won last year- but cmon the West has been dominating the East for years, and has won the title 7 out of the last 9 - along with the superior overall quality- I call that dominating......

To be fair.....

90's - Dominated by the East

80's - pretty even....

The East won 6 championships in both decades. It's 4-2 this decade. About the same level of dominance by the west now as the east in the 80s and 90s. And let's not forget the 60's dominance by the east.. The 70's were an even split.

I understand...I was just pointing out that, as a Celtics fan you have not only had a 21 year drought, but you have also suffered through some of the worst scenarios in the league, if not the worst overall as a team during that 21 year run.

JMO, you don't win championships in today's NBA without having something close to an MVP caliber player.

Rarely has a team won championships in the NBA without something close to an MVP caliber player. Find me an NBA championship FINALIST that didn't have a HOF player on the roster.

Detroit's 2004 team, and Seattle's 1979 team are the two winners that come immediately to mind that don't have the signature player. Both had HOF coaches on the sidelines however. Shoot, I stopped looking past the 1977 76ers to find a squad that made the finals without a superstar player (anyone besides Calvin Jones?).

It's a players league, always has been, always will be.

Either way, Seattle and Portland getting 1 and 2 is a screwjob for somebody. what were they, 5th and tied for 6th worst record?

The league may get $500,000,000 from Washington state taxpayers as a result of the lottery yesterday. How can that be a screwjob for anybody?

I have no sympathy for Memphis or Boston. Both teams tanked near the end of the year. Once Memphis had locked up the worse record in the league they won their last 4 games. Those two teams actions this year are prime examples of why the lottery is necessary.

:D geez maybe Portland will finally get back into the mix of things now...they have been so bad for so long...I never watch them much just look at the box scores in the paper. But knowing Portland they will pick a guy who will be hurt most of his career and the guy they pass on will be another Michael Jordan. :D

You're welcome. Rather than just re-spout things I hear other people say, I try to bring some stats and research to the conversation. I think that given 35 minutes per game, rather than the 20 he got last year Aldridge could get the job done.

And rather than just repeating "player A IS a true center/player B is NOT a true center" over and over again, why not impress us by elaborating what it is that doesn't qualify Aldridge as a "true center". Or is it so blaringly obvious that you can't be bothered?

Do you think the Blazers traded up to the 2 spot last year so they could draft a PF who would spend years stuck behind Zach Randolph? Or did they trade up to get help for Jamaal Magloire, who can't stay out of the hospital for a full season and was brought in as a quick fix for Pryzbilla? They drafted Aldridge as a center, and before they won the lottery, they had every intention of him holding down the middle for the forseeable future.

Why Aldridge is not a true center-or to put it better, as I posted earlier, a more natural PF.

1. He doesn't defend well inside-needs to bulk up

2. He is more effective as a high post player

3. Runs the floor well

4. Played mostly PF in college

They moved up to drafted Aldridge last year because he could play both positions. Multi position players are a premium. He can play the PF position like Tim Duncan did when Robinson still played for the Spurs.

Why Aldridge is not a true center-or to put it better, as I posted earlier, a more natural PF.

3. Runs the floor well

They moved up to drafted Aldridge last year because he could play both positions. Multi position players are a premium. He can play the PF position like Tim Duncan did when Robinson still played for the Spurs.

Tim is a 7 foot PF despite playing center from time to time. I think Aldridge is cut from the same cloth. Oden is a return to the days of Ewing and Robinson.

i love it! we had to watch tankapalooza 2007 all year long, and the celts and griz get chit to show for it! :D:D

portland sure looks to be sitting pretty for the next several years. add me to the list that thinks they'd be better off taking durant, but their future is awfully bright either way.

Edited by Azazello1313

Like I said before, I understand and support the need for a lottery, but I think the current system is not the best. And that's not to say what I was suggesting is, I was just trying to throw something out that would address getting the top picks into the hands of the worst teams on a more consistant basis.

Don't forget Portland had the worst record last year and got the #4 pick.

The East won 6 championships in both decades. It's 4-2 this decade. About the same level of dominance by the west now as the east in the 80s and 90s. And let's not forget the 60's dominance by the east.. The 70's were an even split.

uh , negative on the 80's.... looks like 5-5 to me :D

1980 Los Angeles Lakers 4–2 Philadelphia 76ers

1981 Houston Rockets 2–4 Boston Celtics

1982 Los Angeles Lakers 4–2 Philadelphia 76ers

1983 Los Angeles Lakers 0–4 Philadelphia 76ers

1984 Los Angeles Lakers 3–4 Boston Celtics

1985 Los Angeles Lakers 4–2 Boston Celtics

1986 Houston Rockets 2–4 Boston Celtics

1987 Los Angeles Lakers 4–2 Boston Celtics

1988 Los Angeles Lakers 4–3 Detroit Pistons

1989Los Angeles Lakers 0–4 Detroit Pistons

this decade it is 5-2, soon to be 6-2, cmon. whatchya smokin?

3. Runs the floor well

gawd I love it when you talk like this, break it down baby. :D

3. Runs the floor well

Tim is a 7 foot PF despite playing center from time to time. I think Aldridge is cut from the same cloth. Oden is a return to the days of Ewing and Robinson.

There's your answer, Sheik.

Aldridge couldn't guard Yao or Duncan with a billy club and a can of mace. Oden will be able to. Look at that starting lineup: Jack at PG, Roy at SG, Randolph at SF (he's played there before), Aldridge at PF and Oden at C. Should a team have a SF too quick for Randolph, he or Aldridge could sit and they could bring a more defensive minded SF in.

Hopefully for Portland fans, these guys do not turn out like the Clippers (as suggested by Sarge).

There's your answer, Sheik.

Aldridge couldn't guard Yao or Duncan with a billy club and a can of mace. Oden will be able to. Look at that starting lineup: Jack at PG, Roy at SG, Randolph at SF (he's played there before), Aldridge at PF and Oden at C. Should a team have a SF too quick for Randolph, he or Aldridge could sit and they could bring a more defensive minded SF in.

Hopefully for Portland fans, these guys do not turn out like the Clippers (as suggested by Sarge).

Or Oden turns into a Shawn Bradley when he hits the NBA