[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Randy Moss going to workouts

WaterMan

Saturday, May 19, 2007

Update: Moss, who normally remains in Florida to train, has been in Foxboro since the beginning of the week and has taken part in the Patriots' offseason conditioning program, the Boston Herald reports.

Recommendation: He's also expected to be a participant in the team's four-day passing camp beginning Monday. It's early on in Moss' career with the Pats, but so far the wideout is saying and doing the right things. Next up for the team will be determining whether or not Moss is a player with diminishing skills (as some have speculated) or if he is still capable of creating separation from defenders. Reports that he ran a 4.29 40-yard dash earlier this offseason suggest that he still has the legs to do so when he is in the mood -- and so far he appears to be.

I don't put much stock in an agent saying his player ran a 4.29 40. Supposedly, according to some agent, some dude trying out for the Vikings ran a 4.08 40. Um, okay. If an unbiased person didn't time it, it's totally speculative and unreliable. Randy might have done it. I don't know. But even if he can run a straight-line sub-4.3 40, his skills have nonetheless greatly diminished. It will take some production on the field for me to believe he is the Randy of old. I hope I'm not sounding bitter for the Pack not landing him.

Nnnnnoooooooooooooo.....not at all! :D

In all seriousness, it's the honeymoon phase. He's happy and they're happy right now. I'd be curious to see how his mood is at the first sign of difficulty.

Otherwise, I think Randy is in for a comeback year. 80-1,100-11 isn't out of the question, even with the team spreading the ball around.

How can you say his skills have diminished when his QBs were Culpepper(who's skills HAVE dimished), Crackhead Brooks, and Kerry "another concussion" Collins?

Everyone knows Moss is fast as hell, so it's crediable.

Nnnnnoooooooooooooo.....not at all! :D

In all seriousness, it's the honeymoon phase. He's happy and they're happy right now. I'd be curious to see how his mood is at the first sign of difficulty.

Otherwise, I think Randy is in for a comeback year. 80-1,100-11 isn't out of the question, even with the team spreading the ball around.

The Pats had not had many signs of difficulty over the past several seasons so I think Randy's head will stay screwed on. I think he is in for a nice year. I like your projections but I would bump the catches down with the potential of a few more TD's. Regardless, he improves Brady's stock in a big way.

Everyone knows Moss is fast as hell, so it's crediable.

Is that the same as "believeieable" or "troof"? :D

I've heard reports from Oakland's former OC that they would routinely take Moss out of Friday practice because the rest of the team wanted it to run at game-day speed. I'll believe that Randy's running a 4.3 40-yd when I see it.

Edited by Bill Swerski

The Pats had not had many signs of difficulty over the past several seasons so I think Randy's head will stay screwed on. I think he is in for a nice year. I like your projections but I would bump the catches down with the potential of a few more TD's. Regardless, he improves Brady's stock in a big way.

You're prolly right...80 may be a little much in that O. Make it 70. :D

I've heard reports from Oakland's former OC that they would routinely take Moss out of Friday practice because the rest of the team wanted it to run at game-day speed. I'll believe that Randy's running a 4.3 40-yd when I see it.

I bet he also said they were going to win a Super Bowl.

I've heard reports from Oakland's former OC that they would routinely take Moss out of Friday practice because he volunteered to put the chocolates on the pillows at his bed and breakfast.

FIXED.

Sorry, couldn't resist taking a shot at the B&B OC.

It's true that Moss hasn't had a competent quarterback in some time. But watching him last year, he didn't seem like the Viking Randy. I watched him do a curl route and he looked like an 80-year old man. He could not change direction, cut, or explode at all. My guess is that the numerous ankle injuries he has endured have caught up to him. Tall receivers tend to have shorter careers. Their legs seem to just go out on them. And Randy hasn't kept himself in shape through his career, so that has probably exacerbated his condition. But you're right, he probably still can run a 4.29 40 in a straight line. He can still probably be a good deep-threat receiver. If the Patriots can get 800 yards and 8 touchdowns out of him, they should be happy.

You might want to take a look at this:

I know some will say that's 2005, but what do you actually think he's lost in one year?

Moss was never a change direction type of player. Moss is an out-run you, out-physical you freak. Always has been. Just get him against two or less guys in space and he will win. He will either catch it and run by them, run by them then catch it, or jump over them and snatch it. He still has all that...

Here's my question, how will Bill use him? He used to pull Dillon at the start of games to go with Faulk. Or he wouldn't run the ball at all. You could tell it pissed Corey off, but it worked. How would Randy handle being used the same way?

Will Moss be in a rotation with all the other WR's NE signed? You can't ask Randy to block or run crossing routes because he can't do either. So he's either a decoy, or burning it down the sideline. I just wonder how Randy handles that. My hope is that it frustrates the hell out of him, and his cancerous tendencies surface rather quickly. In a fit of rage, he pulls Bill's hoodie up over his head hockey-style and starts punching. :D

Edited by CaptainHook

Here's my question, how will Bill use him? He used to pull Dillon at the start of games to go with Faulk. Or he wouldn't run the ball at all. You could tell it pissed Corey off, but it worked. How would Randy handle being used the same way?

Will Moss be in a rotation with all the other WR's NE signed? You can't ask Randy to block or run crossing routes because he can't do either. So he's either a decoy, or burning it down the sideline. I just wonder how Randy handles that. My hope is that it frustrates the hell out of him, and his cancerous tendencies surface rather quickly. In a fit of rage, he pulls Bill's hoodie up over his head hockey-style and starts punching. :D

Randy was a great blocker in Minnesota. Robert Smith didn't get all those yards by himself.

I have questions of how he may be used as well. But he will definitely be stretching the field, as well as the primary red zone target...

Call me crazy, but can anyone smell a trade coming? NE suddenly has a lot of WRs and there are only so many balls that can go around...

Randy Moss is not a great blocker. The opposing defender merely got between Randy and the locker room exit 10 seconds before the end of the game. :D

I expect that Randy will play pretty well in New England though. He seems to play up or down to the level of the guys around him. This doesn't make him very useful to turn around a poor team that needs help, but for the Pats it should work out fine.

I think the dude will keep his mouth shut and attempt to show all that talk in Oakland was for real. There will be some hiccups, no doubt. He is an NFL star and, like TO, will say just about anything to keep his payroll high and picture in the paper.

All that being said, if Brady/Bellicheck.etc. can make Reche Caldwell look like a #1 receiver then Moss will be just fine as long as he doesn't step on too many toes.

Fantasy stud, you ask? No, not until we see how exactly the WR clusterf*ck plays out in NE. But if you're picking at the back end of a draft (1.12) and go RB/RB with 1.12 and 2.1 then I'd have no hesitation pairing him with another tier 2 WR for a solid core of guys. Moss will get some looks next year, just to see how good he still is if nothing else.

Randy was a great blocker in Minnesota. Robert Smith didn't get all those yards by himself.

I have questions of how he may be used as well. But he will definitely be stretching the field, as well as the primary red zone target...

i saw robert smith himself, utter similar words the monday after the draft, on espn

i dont think he ever used the word "great"....but he did say something like "in my day there werent many guys who could run with me...and randy would be there with my stride for stride blocking all the way down the field"

i saw robert smith himself, utter similar words the monday after the draft, on espn

i dont think he ever used the word "great"....but he did say something like "in my day there werent many guys who could run with me...and randy would be there with my stride for stride blocking all the way down the field"

I'll admit, "great" was probably bad terminology. I should have used "decent" or "adequate".

But I'm glad someone else has more than a couple years worth of football memories. Randy gives supreme effort in all aspects, when his team is challenging...

I still wonder if he can stay healthy...

but, then again his recent injury history may be the cause of little conditioning in the offseason....because he doesn't care...

I will rank him inside my top 15 until he gives me a reason not to....it's not that he can't produce anymore, it's just he's been hurt often the past 2 or 3 seasons...

I don't put much stock in an agent saying his player ran a 4.29 40. Supposedly, according to some agent, some dude trying out for the Vikings ran a 4.08 40. Um, okay. If an unbiased person didn't time it, it's totally speculative and unreliable. Randy might have done it. I don't know. But even if he can run a straight-line sub-4.3 40, his skills have nonetheless greatly diminished. It will take some production on the field for me to believe he is the Randy of old. I hope I'm not sounding bitter for the Pack not landing him.

It was not a agent that said this Greenbay and NE sent personal down to his training area and they clocked him at that