[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Keyshawn Johnson to Retire

Keyshawn Johnson has declined an offer from the Tennessee Titans and has decided to retire.

The wide receiver, who also expected to receive an offer from the Oakland Raiders, is expected to announce his decision at a Wednesday afternoon news conference at his alma mater of USC, his agent, Jerome Stanley, told ESPN.com's John Clayton.

Stanley said Johnson is expected to pursue a broadcasting career.

"The timing of it was just right," Stanley said. "There were a couple of slots open in broadcasting. He was either going to retire this year or next year, but the timing just turned out to be right now."

Johnson, who turns 35 in July, was released by the Carolina Panthers earlier this month after the Panthers drafted Southern California wideout Dwayne Jarrett. He had 70 catches for 815 yards and four touchdowns for Carolina in 2006.

Johnson, the No. 1 pick in the 1996 NFL draft, has started 162 of 167 games in his 11 NFL seasons that spans stints with Carolina, Dallas, Tampa Bay and the New York Jets. He retires with 814 career receptions for 10,571 yards and has 64 touchdowns.

He worked as an analyst on ESPN's televised coverage of the the NFL draft last month.

LINK

Edited by Kansas State 2000

Great. Michael Irvin II. Just what we need...

You know Irvin is exactly who I thought of when I read this but for probably different reasons. I agree 100% about these guys being fools off the field and annoying and all of that but on the field they both played with tremendous heart. Great possesion WRs who never feared going across the middle . On the field I would like a team full of Keyshawns strictly based on his play. The guy is talented and gutsy.

You know Irvin is exactly who I thought of when I read this but for probably different reasons. I agree 100% about these guys being fools off the field and annoying and all of that but on the field they both played with tremendous heart. Great possesion WRs who never feared going across the middle . On the field I would like a team full of Keyshawns strictly based on his play. The guy is talented and gutsy.

Keyshawn Johnson isn't even close to the same level as Michael Irvin was as a player. Keyshawn was a solid, hard-working, above average player, while Michael Irvin was amongst the elite receivers during his time.

Before you argue, Paul is in complete agreement with what I've stated above, so, consider that. I wasn't able to get Mike's opinion.

I wouldn't say that Keyshawn was a bad guy off the field. His real negative was the way that his pissed off his teammates and coaches.

That said, I completely agree that he was a rock-solid possession receiver who did a lot of the going-over-the-middle "dirty work" without complaining. He may not have lived up to the self-created hype, but he still had a very good career and won a ring to boot.

Keyshawn Johnson isn't even close to the same level as Michael Irvin was as a player. Keyshawn was a solid, hard-working, above average player, while Michael Irvin was amongst the elite receivers during his time.

Before you argue, Paul is in complete agreement with what I've stated above, so, consider that. I wasn't able to get Mike's opinion.

I agree . I just meant they were cut from the same cloth

Hmmm.....I thought Key did a pretty nice job commentating at the draft. :D

I honestly don't think he's going to be nearly as irritating as Irvin....or Deion for that matter.

I concur.

I wouldn't say that Keyshawn was a bad guy off the field. His real negative was the way that his pissed off his teammates and coaches.

That said, I completely agree that he was a rock-solid possession receiver who did a lot of the going-over-the-middle "dirty work" without complaining. He may not have lived up to the self-created hype, but he still had a very good career and won a ring to boot.

Well said. I do hate how Keyshawn compares every elite WR to himself. On draft day did you hear him say that Calvin Johnson looked like a cross between Randy Moss and himself? Who knows how CJ will pan out in the NFL but I will venture to guess that the comparisons down the road will not mention Keyshawn's name. :D

I honestly don't think he's going to be nearly as irritating as Irvin....or Deion for that matter.

Agree with this 100 percent. One would have to go way out of their way to be as obnoxious as Irvin or Sanders.

Believe he has already accepted a position with ESPN as an in-studio analyist.

Well said. I do hate how Keyshawn compares every elite WR to himself. On draft day did you hear him say that Calvin Johnson looked like a cross between Randy Moss and himself? Who knows how CJ will pan out in the NFL but I will venture to guess that the comparisons down the road will not mention Keyshawn's name. :D

Remember when Bill Walsh used to do some announcing? Multiple times a game he would compare a team to the 49ers. It got to be very annoying.

No but those guys are setting the bar pretty low. When you hear him every week you'll understand.

No but those guys are setting the bar pretty low. When you hear him every week you'll understand.

ESPN set the bar the lowest it will ever be with Vitale. It would not be possible to do any worse than him...though I have to admit they tried their darndest with Irvin.

Which is kind of like "I don't think chewing on hot bubbling rubber would be as bad as chewing glass"

:hurl:

All a-holes in the extreme, pass. Yawn to overrated Meyawn's retirement and pass the channel flipper re. their "broadcasting."

He will DEFINITELY be less irritating that those tools, BUT...get ready for tons of sentences beginning with or including in some fashion: "I," "ME," "MY." He ain't called "ME-SHAWN" for nothing.

Lest we forget Mr Theisman.....I am looking forward to Key behind the mic......he made a smart decision.

Key is one of the best blocking WR's in the NFL. He is also a tough SOB who was never afraid of going up the middle. Keyshawn might not have lived up to his billing but he was pretty darn close. Thanks for your help in getting us a ring Keyshawn.. :D I'll watch you on ESPN.

ESPN set the bar the lowest it will ever be with Vitale. It would not be possible to do any worse than him...though I have to admit they tried their darndest with Irvin.

Very true. Key will be better, but I hoped they would get someone who cared more about the game than himself.